Road cycling evil?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by phazer, Aug 7, 2006.

1. phazer

phazer New Member

Ok now I used to be quite a keen and devoted mountain biker swearing I would never ride on those skinny tyre tar bikes, then after some time, getting more serious about my XC racing, I thought well, alot of the top XC guys use road bikes to train, maybe I should as well. So off to the bike shop, to just look around, came out with a Giant OCR2. Did a couple of rides and yes it was fun, but still nothing like a decent singletrack session. But after a while I started to ride more and more on the road, really loving it to tackle some climbs and just pumping up the hills with the road bike, and LOVING the speed on the deccent. Now lately I hardly ride my mountain bike at all, have not been on my mtb for more than a month now, and funny thing is I don't miss it at all with my weekday road rides and longer road rides over the weekends, and low and belold the monthly races. In fact I am enjoying road cycling so much I am thinking of selling my MTB and buying a better groupset for my roadbike.
    It's truely addictive and I am loving it! Any other converted MTB'ers here?

Tags:

2. free_rideman

free_rideman New Member

me...

But now after about a year of not touching a moutain bike, I am kind sad. Sad about not being able to test my other skills that road bikes don't test too much.

Oh well...

3. baj32161

baj32161 New Member

Welcome to the Dark Side:D :cool:

4. 2 old 2 go slow

2 old 2 go slow New Member

You'll be back. Don't sell the MTB.

If you really really think you're done with MTB then give it to someone who will appreciate it and who otherwise can't afford it. Yes, give it to him/her. That way you won't regret selling it when you do come around and want to ride the trail again.

And you will want to ride the trail again.

5. JTE83

JTE83 Member

3 years ago I bought a Cannodale F600 Mtn bike to lose weight. It was slow and made my legs sore. As of today it only has about 100 miles on it. And I put about 5400 miles on my 5 road bikes because they were so much faster and I could bike so much farther.

Road cycling is the best, and I do it now to maintain my weight and save gas.

6. chch_legend

chch_legend New Member

LOL.....I did exactly the same thing about 4-5 years ago. Was into my MTBing big time, loved the dirt, mud and crashes. Rode in winter series, summer series and also marathon rides, then thought I might get a road bike to increase my fitness.

Well now my MTB gets used only 3-4 times a year and the road bike 3-4 times a week. I do more kms a week on my road bike than I do in a year on my MTB.

Don't sell the MTB cos there is nothing quite like going for a blatt on the MTB to really know you are alive and you actually appreciate the fitness you have picked up from the roadie.