Road cycling in boston

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Hathcock, Apr 30, 2003.

  1. Hathcock

    Hathcock Guest

    In the next few months I will be movng to the South Shore of boston. Can anyone recommend good towns
    in which to live that will allow me a reasonable chance to road ride and (even better) have a good
    road bike club.

    Thanks.

    Hathcock

    Tags:

  2. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Hathcock" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In the next few months I will be movng to the South Shore of boston. Can anyone recommend good
    > towns in which to live that will allow me a reasonable chance to road ride and (even better) have
    > a good road bike club.

    I don't know if you're a "racing", "fitness", or "social" cyclist, my club, the Charles River
    Wheelmen, does social & fitness rides, check out the site: www.crw.org, there is one weekly ride
    held on the South Shore:

    http://www.crw.org/RecurringRide.htm Sunday Morning Fitness Ride - South Shore Coastal Loop.

    Even those of us who don't live down there sometimes go for the ride, and some of those who live
    there come up for our Saturday "fitness" rides here in Newton.

    If you look at the on-line cue sheet repository, you'll be able to see what South Shore towns seem
    popular for routes. You might want to order a copy of Rubel's Bike Map for the area, I think you can
    buy one on-line, either directly, or from a LBS like Harris Cyclery. The map gives a reasonably good
    view of the "bicycle friendliness" of the roads in an area.

  3. Hingham, Cohasset, and Scituate are excellent towns for cycling. (I used to live in Hingham.)