Road Cycling in the Canadian Rockies

Glorified_G

Jun 7, 2004
Well, I'm heading out west in a couple of months and once the weather clears up, I'd like to get back on the bike.

I'm most likely going to be in the Banff area. I've been in the area before (w/o a bike) and the little that I saw was spectacular, but does anyone suggest anywhere I "must" go? I think this will be a good oppurtunity to get back into cycling shape while seeing the sites.

Thanks

I'm assuming you're doing some of the Ice Fields Highway? The parts I rode were fairly flat, with a few doable hills/mountain passes. Pretty area, at least.

keydates said:
I'm assuming you're doing some of the Ice Fields Highway? The parts I rode were fairly flat, with a few doable hills/mountain passes. Pretty area, at least.

Yes. I'm sure I'll hit that road. I'm just looking for a job out west right now. Looks like I"ll be able to ride that highway often.

I'm not necessarily looking for the most challenging route at this point. I haven't been on the bike in some time. Mostly just looking for a nice ride to appreciate everything.

I used to live in Lake Louise, and there is an old highway (road) that is no longer accessible used by cars (they aren't even allowed on it). It goes from LL to Field, BC. I can't remember exactly how far it is. I used to run part of it when I was living out there. It's about midway to the Chateau Lake Louise Hotel on the right. If you can't find it, just ask a local in the village. Another is the old Trans Canada it runs from LL to Banff and I think further. There is Johnson's Canyon there that is pretty sweet spot to visit/hike. And like the other guy said the Ice Fields Parkway going to Jasper is a nice spot too.

If you need any more, let me know, I might be able to help.

Also....
Banff to Radium is a nice ride if you're looking for something quite a bit longer. If you want to drive a short distance from Banff then start riding, Kananaskis Country, Highwood Pass and Bragg Creek areas have nice roads and good scenery.