Road cycling in the Lake District

topper

Dec 9, 2003
Anyone know where I can get some decent info regarding road bike routes around the Windermere area. Anything considered as long as it's on the black stuff

Originally posted by topper
Anyone know where I can get some decent info regarding road bike routes around the Windermere area. Anything considered as long as it's on the black stuff

try this book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...li_/202-9534206-4861436?coliid=I1JA4YKVXBZAOS

I've not actually used this series much myself but I've always thought they looked good.

I'm planning a trip later in the year that will involve a leg from Lancaster to Penrith via the Kirkstone Pass. The road through the Kirkstone Pass takes in all the most scenic parts of the Lake District and runs roughly from Windermere to Ullswater. There are a couple of really nastily steep parts but if you're planning to cycle in that part of the world it's an absolute must to include on your route. The road is slightly easier running from north to south - if you do it the other way round you have to deal with a really nasty climb just outside Windermere.

The actual road surface is quite decent and parts of it have been refurbished quite recently so you won't have any worries on that score - but there are parts of the Lake District where the roads get quite rough so it would probably be worth getting that book for more information.