Road Cycling Magazing Recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by ryanspeer, Aug 25, 2006.

1. ryanspeer

ryanspeer New Member

Obviously there's the well-known Bycycling magazine, which I enjoy and have no qualms with, but are there any specifically ROAD cycling magazines worth checking out? I love product reviews, information on fitness, diet and training, and interviews with racers and those involved in the sport. I realize that Bycling provides all of this, but they also mix in MTB information, which although it's interesting, really doesn't apply too much to me as I don't partake in the sport anymore. It's not a huge thing to me at all though.

Any good competitors of Bicycling that are worth exploring?

Tags:

2. scottmilk9

scottmilk9 New Member

I get ROAD and Velonews. Velonews has started to show alot more mountain bike stuff in the past couple years, but they still cater to the roadie. Good luck.

3. pixelmill

pixelmill New Member

ROAD is published out of NZ, and is much more in depth on the European road scene than Biycling Australia. You can also win a Cervelo R3 if you subscribe this month! :)

4. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

I really like ROAD, http://www.roadmagazine.net/

5. konabound

konabound New Member

[ Besides the mentioned Road and Velo News, I also get Cycle Sport America magazine. It mostly covers the pro race scene with rider and team interviews. Also gets a little bit into nutrition and the bikes of the peleton. Hope this helps...

6. fauxpas

fauxpas New Member

I only like buying mags before I buy anything, such as a car or bike... The mag plus web info is usually enuf... The mag I bought here is Aus before buying anything was RIDE. www.ridemedia.com.au

Their webby was down today. Couldn't connect to it...

Only comes out seasonally, that's every 3 months, which is sad as its a good mag...

7. lwedge

lwedge New Member

Jags, don't you find that the problem with ROAD here in the states is the fact that it' news in months old ? This month's issue is giving us a breakdown of the Giro d'Italia.:confused: And next month(Sept.), ROAD will give us the blow-by-blow on the Tour de Nez which was held in June.

lw

8. lwedge

lwedge New Member

You might start here http://www.velonews.com/toc/ . VN comes to you about every 2 weeks and most are full of information on races, riders, gear, bikes, reviews, and tech reports. The magazine covers US and abroad and I would say it cover Road 90%, Cycle Cross 10%, MTB 10% and Track about 10%.:D

Cycling News US is pretty hard core pro-roadie coverage, the best on races here and abroad but sometimes a little late with the news.

Another option which covers almost no MTB but covers Road, Commuters and Hybrid. With great tech articles, health, nutrition and "Yoga" is "Cycling Plus".
    http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/thismonthsmag.asp?id=63

The magazine is published in the United Kingdom but they cover things like the Sea Otter Classic (CA, US), Tour of Utah and other US and world wide cycling events. A good magazine for the reader who likes the all-around world of road cycling. Not bad.... I buy about 6 or 7 per year. You can find at Border's book store, might be Walden's Bookstore in WA.

As a matter of fact, you should be able to test drive ROAD, CyclingNews US, VeloNews and Cycling Plus at any book store that has a good magazine rack - Borders, Tower, Walden, Barnes and Noble....etc.

lw

9. fauxpas

fauxpas New Member

10. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

That's true wedge, in fact, the TDF was in July and the Sept issue has no mention of the Landis thing..I guess we'll have to wait untill November for that...so yeah, you're right of course...in fact I bought the sept issue about 3 weeks ago...

I just like the format, the Bike ads and they've got some very good write-ups on various People and the Sport in general etc...

11. lwedge

lwedge New Member

Yes, format and articles are very good.

Hey even Velonews was late as far as I am concerned. Last issue(comes out twice a month) had a picture of Floyd Landis and team riding the Champs Elysees with Stars and Stripes in his hand. Inside the magazine they had a full page picture of his mom and pop standing on the porch of their home holding a picture of Floyd on the podium (I think,,, something like that). "Winner of the Tour de France...." Bad timing.

lw

12. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

ugh...the more I think about Floyd and the collateral damage caused by this whole affair the more I cringe...such a shame....

But for news I set up a Google alert, I don't think even the fastest most up to date Mag could ever catch up with electronic media...

So, I guess we'll have to rely on the net for news and Magazines for a good old fashioned read and a look at the Pics...