Road cycling underwear

danny shep

Jun 20, 2007
Recently i have noticed that i have experienced chafing and even saddle sores when on my longer rides and although i have just today purchased some Assos Chamois cream to hopefully prevent the sores i can't help feeling that the chafing is caused by underwear which tends to get out of shape and rub under my bibshorts. I normally wear cotton boxer shorts (not the baggy type more like you see a male model wear in an advert) and would like to know if there is any item of underwear i could wear instead that would be nore suitable and less bothersome.

1. Purchase a good pair of cycling specific bib shorts with good chamois.

2. DO NOT WEAR ANY UNDERWEAR UNDER YOUR CYCLING SHORTS.

And most probably your chafing problem will disappear immediately.

Powerful Pete said:
1. Purchase a good pair of cycling specific bib shorts with good chamois.

2. DO NOT WEAR ANY UNDERWEAR UNDER YOUR CYCLING SHORTS.

And most probably your chafing problem will disappear immediately.
I agree with this.

If you do want to wear underwear, find some wicking products w/o seams in the crotch. I have a few pair of Terramar Micromesh briefs which work well, but there are similar other brands. I have ridden in them under cycling shorts and they don't bother me. I do prefer no underwear though.

Road cycling underwear? No such thing, go commando to eliminate the chafing caused my multiple layers of fabric.

That's right dude - cycling shorts are not made to be worn with anything underneath them! If you are shy you can get baggies with a pair of padded liners, but they don't usually work very well - those padded liners/undershorts tend to roll up and chafe anyway.

1id10t said:
NZO in New Zealand make cycling underwear called Cruiseliners. This padded underwear is specifically to wear under any pair of shorts/pants.

Check this link out - http://www.nzoactive.co.nz/products/NXPMH1763
I should probably clarify that this product is apparently designed to be worn under either the shorts they sell (which doesn't have an inbuilt chamois) or otherwise for ordinary (non-bike) shorts for the lycra shy types. They appear to be like knicks with the chamois insert. Probably redundant as you could wear knicks under normal shorts should you be so inclined.
I personally wear either normal knicks (on the road bike) or MTB shorts with an inbuilt or removable chamois. Would never wear normal underwear for cycling; even if I'm just going to the shops I'll put cycling specific shorts on.

It's getting a tad cold here and the single layer of lycra makes just won't do at 30kph. So how do people stay warm without wearing underwear? Are there outer layer that can be worn outside of our knick?

When it gets really cold I use unpadded tights over my cycling shorts. You can also get padded knickers (the American knicker that is, calf length tights not underwear...) or tights, but I like my unpadded ones because if it warms up I can take them off, unlike dedicated tights that you are stuck with... If its only a little chilly I use knee warmers with my regular shorts. My team mates love their Hincapie Roubaix knickers - they say they are very warm.

sogood said:
It's getting a tad cold here and the single layer of lycra makes just won't do at 30kph. So how do people stay warm without wearing underwear? Are there outer layer that can be worn outside of our knick?
Are you riding with just knicks on your legs? Crazy *******! I'm wearing Netti Superoubaix tights over knicks at this time of year.

artemidorus said:
Are you riding with just knicks on your legs? Crazy *******! I'm wearing Netti Superoubaix tights over knicks at this time of year.
I have full length leg warmers. But for that private bit at 30kph, felt as if I wasn't wearing anything. :(

artemidorus said:
+1 on the full length roubaix lined longs. Leg warmers just don't cut it early in the morning.

n

artemidorus said:
Just for my own amusement, how cold is it over there in balmy Sydney?

danny shep said:
Recently i have noticed that i have experienced chafing and even saddle sores when on my longer rides and although i have just today purchased some Assos Chamois cream to hopefully prevent the sores i can't help feeling that the chafing is caused by underwear which tends to get out of shape and rub under my bibshorts. I normally wear cotton boxer shorts (not the baggy type more like you see a male model wear in an advert) and would like to know if there is any item of underwear i could wear instead that would be nore suitable and less bothersome.
Definately no underwear. For long rides (60+ miles), I'm buttered up with "Goldbonds Healing Cream". Comes in a tube you can pick up anywhere, market, drugstore, etc.., and is less expensive then cycle specific, dare I say, butt creams. This is great stuff. It lasts the ride and is easily washed off later. The idea behind it all is to have everything slide around and not get stuck in a wrinkle or pad.

As for warmth down under, I use a pair of non-padded Nike thermo-lite bib tights. More then enough warmth down to about 30º F. for those in the states.:)

Bro Deal said:
Just for my own amusement, how cold is it over there in balmy Sydney?
Yeah yeah, but we don't choose to live in the bloody Arctic like you North Americans. It's been as low as (gasp) 5degC!!!

sogood said:
I have full length leg warmers. But for that private bit at 30kph, felt as if I wasn't wearing anything. :(
Ride faster. Faster riding requires more wattage and therefor more heat generation

First, to the OP......have you considered wearing a man-thong? It should help you avoid chafing, all the while making you feel pretty.

To the shivering Aussies......Assos Roubaix knickers. With those, I'm good down to the mid to high 20's....er....-1 to -3 ish celsius. If it gets really ugly, then I'll slip on the Craft tights over me bibs or knickers.

And yes, it does get that cold here in Tucson. Of course, that doesn't happen this time of year. Right now, this is what we've got....

view.jpg

I was lazy and rode late, and the temp at rider level, on the road, was 119. By midnight, the temp will be down to 85 or so.

alienator said:
To the shivering Aussies......Assos Roubaix knickers. With those, I'm good down to the mid to high 20's....er....-1 to -3 ish celsius. If it gets really ugly, then I'll slip on the Craft tights over me bibs or knickers.
Sorry alienator, we don't do cold. If I could get myself on my bike in -3 degC, I'd be wearing knicks and roubaix tights below and t-shirt/jersey/windstopper jacket above. And I'd probably stick a waterproof jacket on until I warmed up!
Wimpy I know, but it's the truth.