Road cycling underwear

Camilo said:
I agree with this.

If you do want to wear underwear, find some wicking products w/o seams in the crotch. I have a few pair of Terramar Micromesh briefs which work well, but there are similar other brands. I have ridden in them under cycling shorts and they don't bother me. I do prefer no underwear though.
I also wear with Terramar Micromesh boxers under my cycling shorts and have never had any saddle sore issues. They fit tightly and have a lifetime antimicrobial treatment. Here's a link for those who may be interested:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?&productId=39286194

mikesbytes said:
Ride faster. Faster riding requires more wattage and therefor more heat generation
I find cycling behind buses a good way of keeping warm.:p
Now if only I could find an express that goes my way it would be good....too much stopping otherwise.:rolleyes:

1id10t said:
Not a good idea if you have a chronic respiratory illness like asthma though!

n

nerdag said:
Not a good idea if you have a chronic respiratory illness like asthma though!n
Too true. Some mornings going down the Pacific Highway from about Lane Cove onwards it's hard not to get stuck behind them.
I really must leave earlier to avoid the heaviest part of the morning.:rolleyes:

1id10t said:
Now if only I could find an express that goes my way it would be good....too much stopping otherwise.:rolleyes:
Have they reopened the motorway to bicycles ?

mikesbytes said:
Have they reopened the motorway to bicycles ?
Not as far as I know. Haven't been that way in a while though. I've been riding the highway to Pymble most times.
If I feel like a change I sometimes go across Anzac Bridge, head up to Gladesville and go over the bridge there and then make my way through Boronia Park, Marsfield etc to Lane Cove Road. Then it's through the big 'car park' on Lane Cove Road to Pymble and home.

1id10t said:
Those Kiwis - I found it mildly amusing they had several currencies to choose from including the South African Rand, the Israeli Shekel, the Indian Rupee, the Norwegian Krone but not the Good ol' Aussie dollar. I can just picture the bustling Mumbai streets plastered with fancy bike undies:)

they look OK though...

//k

kakman said:
Those Kiwis - I found it mildly amusing they had several currencies to choose from including the South African Rand, the Israeli Shekel, the Indian Rupee, the Norwegian Krone but not the Good ol' Aussie dollar. I can just picture the bustling Mumbai streets plastered with fancy bike undies:)

they look OK though...

//k
Thats because they know that Aussies go comando

mikesbytes said:
Ride faster. Faster riding requires more wattage and therefor more heat generation
Yeah right. That idea works well for the core and skeletal muscle bearing parts. For non-skeletal muscle bearing external body parts, I am afraid it doesn't quite work... :p

As you guys have suggested, there are more gears to put on. My gear up time is now up close to 5 mins but getting quicker. :eek:

sogood said:
Yeah right. That idea works well for the core and skeletal muscle bearing parts. For non-skeletal muscle bearing external body parts, I am afraid it doesn't quite work... :p

As you guys have suggested, there are more gears to put on. My gear up time is now up close to 5 mins but getting quicker. :eek:
You could wear underwear

Im still a rookie to this whole cycling thing. I am learning each day i ride. I finally bought some assos chamois creme which everyone keeps telling me is the greatest thing since sliced bread. On the directions it says to apply to skin AND/ORonto the insert of the cycling shorts for increased protection. I have always worn compression boxer briefs while riding under my shorts. should I not be??? :eek:

Personal choice but I don't since the Asso bibs are pretty smooth and underwear usually add creases that cause pressure points.
It's commando for me.

ok..I just had a friend of mine yell at me for wearing underwear. they told me that it increases irritation and I should NEVER wear them under my cycling shorts. good thing I found out before my first century ride next month. that would be a killer!

bianchi10 said:
ok..I just had a friend of mine yell at me for wearing underwear. they told me that it increases irritation and I should NEVER wear them under my cycling shorts. good thing I found out before my first century ride next month. that would be a killer!

some people should wear boxer briefs. i've all but been blinded by overweight people stretching out their undersized cycling shorts, making them practically transparent and all ass crack shows. it's not good to see.

no briefs but always a good idea to check for transparency as that's embarrassing.

Even without the chaffing & whatever, we don't wear underwear with our swimming trunks. There's no difference as with lycra cycling shorts.