Road Cycling

sfean

Jul 28, 2004
Hello all. Im looking to purchase a road bike. Right now i'v been riding for 2-3 daily on a very nice mountain bike that i'v had. Im 5'6 and wondering what size bike i would need. Im still growing ( 16 years old) so i dont want one that fixes too perfect or i wont be able to ride it next year. If someone could please tell me the mesurements i should look at before buying a used bike online that would be great!

sfean said:
Hello all. Im looking to purchase a road bike. Right now i'v been riding for 2-3 daily on a very nice mountain bike that i'v had. Im 5'6 and wondering what size bike i would need. Im still growing ( 16 years old) so i dont want one that fixes too perfect or i wont be able to ride it next year. If someone could please tell me the mesurements i should look at before buying a used bike online that would be great!

Try this site.

http://www.wrenchscience.com/WS1/Secure/Fitting/Height.asp

The main issue is that you are still growing, and who knows when you will stop? You dont want to spend money on a frame that you will outgrow in a year or two. Components can always be switched out and measurements kinda stay the same. There are some items that may change as you grow, and these could be frame, stem, handlebar width. The other components are kinda standard. Also what comes into play is your body habitus, or shape, whether or not you have a long torso, or long legs and short torso ect...

Your local bike shop should also be able to assist you in sizing, as well as the previous responses web site. I did a search on Google for bicycle sizing and Colorado Cyclist had good information on sizing. It gave you the opportunity to measure yourself and get a good idea of what size might best fit you.

Hope it helps a little.

Jeff

sfean said:

Thanks Works GREAT! Now i just need to find a cheap good touring bike