road food for a diabetic: all that sugar?

twixter

Aug 7, 2005
I'm overweight and diabetic, but I have started biking. I currently do a 10 mile route 5 days a week. A single Zefal liter water bottle is all I need for that; I eat a high-protein meal when I get back. I feel fine when I do this. I don't take insulin. Eventually, I hope to venture on longer trips. Just about every food I see advertised in the biking catalogs has a significant amount of sugar. I once made the mistake of taking a glass of Endurox right after my ride. It put me on a blood sugar roller coaster. How far should I expect to be able to ride, drinking water only until I get back? If I eat a power bar on the road as I approach a hill, am I going to go up it easier, or am I going to pass out? Thanks!

twixter said:
I'm overweight and diabetic, but I have started biking. I currently do a 10 mile route 5 days a week. A single Zefal liter water bottle is all I need for that; I eat a high-protein meal when I get back. I feel fine when I do this. I don't take insulin. Eventually, I hope to venture on longer trips. Just about every food I see advertised in the biking catalogs has a significant amount of sugar. I once made the mistake of taking a glass of Endurox right after my ride. It put me on a blood sugar roller coaster. How far should I expect to be able to ride, drinking water only until I get back? If I eat a power bar on the road as I approach a hill, am I going to go up it easier, or am I going to pass out? Thanks!

Are you type 1 or 2? Do you take insulin in shots or pump? Your best bet is to consult your doctor, as they can usually offer advice on knowing your dietary habits and insulin needs. Consulting with them should be the deciding factor of how you choose to approach longer rides. That said, I'll offer some advice and I'm sure others will too.

As for eating a powerbar and going up a hill faster--that isn't going to happen--the benefits of eating a powerbar are not that great, and it takes more than a couple minutes for any of the ingredients to have any effect on your body. The best way to go up a hill faster is to simply ride faster--shift to a harder gear and keep on top of it.

Now on to the diabetes related questions.... I'm type 1, have been for about 23 years now. I use an insulin pump.

For my rides, I carry one bottle of water and a second bottle of gatorade or cytomax (some form of energy drink). Depending on how long I ride for, I'll use the energy drink when needed, or if my bg starts to get a little low. In a two hour ride, I'll drink both bottles, unless my bg is high (in which case I take insulin and if I need to I'll take enough to cover the energy drink too). As for food during rides, I eat whatever I want. I definitely do usually need to take insulin with the foods though, and using an insulin pump makes this part really easy.

Your best bet for longer rides is to carry plenty of foods--both those with low carb/high protein and regular energy bars, the ones with all the sugar. I tend to carry energy gels, as they can come in handy if your bg gets too low. Also carry with you your meter and your insulin, in case you need either. On a longer ride, its probably not a bad idea to sip an energy drink along with your water. Check your bg every hour or so, and eat/take insulin when necessary. After a while of doing this, you'll probably get comfortable with your insulin and food needs while you are riding, and you won't need to stop every hour to see where you are at--it won't be as much of a guessing game.

For me, personally, hard efforts on the bike will cause my bg to increase, so I don't alter my insulin intake when I ride. I will take slightly less insulin with food when I'm riding though (thats assuming I eat, which usually doesn't happen unless I'm out for 4+ hours). I carry one bottle of water and one of energy drink. I also carry two or three energy gels and a powerbar in my pocket for rides of 2 or less hours, and more food for longer rides.

Hope this helps. And like I said, make sure you check with your doctor before you rely on any advice I've provided. Good luck!!