road frame sets on line?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Solanog, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Solanog

Solanog New Member

Tags:

2. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

AFAIK, "Scattante" was the "house label" for SuperGo (which was absorbed by the Nashbar/Performance retail group) ... so, the frame is probably made in Taiwan at one of the few factories which makes many of the frames which are currently sold under various labels [different specs for different frames/brands, of course] ... if you don't like "red" then the Scattante frame(s) won't work for you.

You should probably look at the Scattante XRL Comp Frame and Fork which is probably the same frame without the carbon stays -- it is a bargain at $200 -- I am sure that you could spend more without getting a better ride.

BTW. The carbon stays, IMO, are more of a cosmetic & marketing issue -- nothing wrong with that if that inspires you. There may be a benefit to having carbon stays on some "metal" frames, but it depends on the frame material & how the stays were spec'd.

Will PERFORMANCE ship to Costa Rica?

3. Solanog

Solanog New Member

They may not ship to Costa Rica but I have a shipping address in Miami, Fl. there are some companies that offer that service. You have a shipping addrress in USA and then they bring things here. They have to go through customs and pay some duties, they charge with a fee for the shipping from USA and then you either pick or wait for them to bring your stuff to your address.
    BTW there is no way I can find this kind of frame for that price here, even after paying import fees and everything I will have it for a great price.

Thanks for your response, looking at the other frame it is even lighter than the one with carbon seat stays. Carbon seatstays look fancy but I can't tell if they would make a difference in performance or comfort.

4. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Whoa. About 150 Euro for an alu frame and fork. That is a good deal.

And I agree with Alfeng, CF stays will not change the quality and/or comfort of the ride significantly, so you might as well go for the full alu setup.

5. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

Yes, "carbon seatstays look fancy" on some bikes ... but, not on others [e.g., Colnago put carbon seatstays on a variation of their Master X-Lite steel frame a couple of years ago ... I don't know if they still make/sell it ... the carbon fiber stays might have reduced the frame weight by a quarter-to-half pound, but it didn't look good, IMO, AND probably did not improved the ride].

You'll achieve more "comfort" by using a lower PSI in larger tires -- e.g., 700x25 at ~95PSI or 700x28 or at ~90PSI (if they'll fit).

If you're planning on riding La Ruta type conditions, then you'd want a 29er like the RALEIGH XXIX which can use up to 700x58 tires ... or, a CX frame (remember to size a CX-or-touring frame about one size smaller than your normal road frame size because of the higher bottom bracket).

6. Solanog

Solanog New Member

Are you talking about "La ruta de los Conquistadores" that is held here in Costa Rica every year? I'm not capable of running that :( . Have you been here?
    I already have a MB (not high end but more than adecuate for my abilities :eek: ) but I enjoy the road bike more, the problem here is that it becomes a little dangerous with the narrow roads and all the traffic.

7. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

Lots of online choices in low-cost frames out there. A buddy here built his road bike from a Nashbar frameset; believe it was $199 on sale. He's probably got 10K miles on it now with no complaints, and he's not a lightweight. It's red, with no decals. For a bit more money, I've seen a Pedalforce CF frame that looked nice at a glance.

Of course, you're paying upfront for something to be shipped to you sight-unseen, so you really don't know weld or paint quality on the item you're getting. Plus potential hassles if there is shipping damage or warranty issues, or the frame isn't sized as expected. Still suppose it's hard to argue with the deals to be had online.

8. Solanog

Solanog New Member

Do you have any links to places who sell this type of frames, this is the only one I've been able to find. Others are high end carbon or to expensive ones which are not within my budget. The closest thing to a good deal I've found is a Scott Al + carbon fork for $500 but I think my size is not available.

9. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

Sure do. Start with www.nashbar.com Their lowest-priced 7005 Al frame is on sale for $109; you can move up from there to CF rear stays and lighter tubing if you want to get into the "big bucks".

Pedalforce frames (www.pedalforce.com) start at $600 and go from there. According to the website, they are direct-marketed by Taiwan factories as a "house brand". The frame I saw was the starter model, and it looked much like a Scott CR1. The rider was a lightweight though; you may need to move up to a stiffer frame in their lineup if you're a big guy or strong sprinter.

Believe either of these represent great value, as long as you can get the right size and aren't worried about little things like color, fancy graphics, or status. Actually, my buddy with the Nashbar frame enjoys the "reverse snob appeal" image.....he's got a Garmin 305 on the bars that costs more than his frame :)

10. Solanog

Solanog New Member

Thanks a lot, I'm not a big guy but weight around 200lbs so a strong frame is needed ):
    I will look into this links. I'm not that interested in big names I would like a good, somewhat stiff and light frame. An upgrade from what I got now.
    I don't remember the brand of my frame, it is an italian Al frame which was used by a team here in C.R, I bought it from them, it was a spare frame that was never needed, the fork is carbon and has decals that say "slice" I think. The whole bike with old 105 (8speed) weights around 20-21lbs. I don't have fancy wheels just the 105 hubs (36 holes) and rims (Belgian I think they are Alesa).

11. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

FWIW. My recollection is that Cannondale's forks were labeled "slice" ...

12. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

BTW. Yes, I was referring to "La ruta de los Conquistadores" ...

I haven't been to Costa Rica ... but, one of these days I might eventually make the journey.

13. Solanog

Solanog New Member

Yes they were, but I don't know if the one I have is a Cannondale, I didn't buy it from the Cannondale dealer but where I bought it they had several brands.

14. Solanog

Solanog New Member

Well you'll be welcomed!
    This Ruta de los conquistadores is done through three days, it crosses the country supposedly following the route that the "Conquistadores" followed when "conquering" the country after Columbus "discovered" America.
    It's a tough competition and people come from all over the world.

http://www.adventurerace.com/eng/about-race.htm

15. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

OT: Hey Solanog, I will be travelling to Costa Rica in early May for a family vacation. Can decent road bikes be rented somewhere in San Jose? Or indeed anywhere else?

Sorry for the thread hijacking!

16. Solanog

Solanog New Member

I have not heard of places where they rent bicycles or at least decent road bikes. I've seen some touristic places where they rent bikes specially near the beach but they are far from decent.
    What is your plan in Costa Rica? How long will you be staying in San José? Will you be going to the beach or mountains? Business, vacation, family?

17. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Actually, no time in San José. Fly in, sleep there, drive to a resort in Guanacaste with family and then a second week driving around the sites (Arenal, etc) on the way back to San José. Then on the flight out.

I would have loved to find a place to rent a bike in Liberia or something but somehow I doubt it will possible ...

18. systemBuilder

systemBuilder New Member

I don't think you want even a $200 frame (typical retail $500-$600) to arrive anywhere in Costa Rica. The last time we visited Costa Rica, US$500 was on the order of half the average household annual income. Someone else on our tour had a Nikon N-80 camera stolen from his room on the first morning in Costa Rica - that WAS worth the average annual income.

He decided to buy a replacement camera on the way to Corcovado National Park, in a large town (but not San Jose). The most expensive camera in the entire town of about 10,000 people, was US$50. People looked at us funny because of our shoes.

I would use a beater if you're touring or living in Costa Rica, and realize that happiness is not worrying about having your bicycle stolen ...

:) :)