Road Hazard-Ground Silica

kopride

May 17, 2006
Warning. I don't know if you've encountered it yet, but our local crews in SE PA are using a cinder mix for traction on icy hills that includes ground silica, i.e. glass. The shards are very tiny and my tires picked up more than 20 tiny shards on each wheel. This caused multiple flats (8 for me in about ten minutes) and trashed a relatively new set of Michelin Pros and bot spare tubes I carry. My only advice if you encounter this stuff is that you take both tires off the wheel completely, and turn the casings inside out until you pluck out each tiny shard. Then carry your bike well away from the treated area. Otherwise, the tire will go again within a few hundred yards as the shards continue to work their way through their casings. My group was only 2, but the LBS described whole groups being laid immobile as people go through all the spare tubes and folks are literally stranded in the cold far from home. I have some of the toughest Contis mounted now, but my guess is that they will be no match for this glass if I encounter another big patch. A real bummer to be added to distracted motorists on cell phones, dogs, black ice, and brutal cold as deterents from riding outside in winter. The trainer is looking better and better until the spring rains wash this **** away.

I think they use a finer sand around here, but please tell me how to recognize it if I see it. That stuff could be disastrous. Thanks.

Animator said:
I think they use a finer sand around here, but please tell me how to recognize it if I see it. That stuff could be disastrous. Thanks.
It looks like cinders on the road from a distance. It is only when you look closely at the tires (after a flat) that you can see these tiny shards imbedded in the casing of the tire. It seems to me to be the result of recycling gone bad. The shards look like little pieces of glass, but the overall spread of cinders is indistinguishable from the normal traction type spread they use in PA. If you see those tiny shards, take the wheel completely off, look at the casing inside and out, ensure that all tiny pieces are removed before changing the tube, and then carry your bike well away from any of the cinder mix.

Thanks for the heads up.

Were these State roads or township roads? What township?

Thanks

I'm thinking Armadillos for next spring any cons to those tires on a road bike?

kopride said:
Warning. I don't know if you've encountered it yet, but our local crews in SE PA are using a cinder mix for traction on icy hills that includes ground silica, i.e. glass. The shards are very tiny and my tires picked up more than 20 tiny shards on each wheel. This caused multiple flats (8 for me in about ten minutes) and trashed a relatively new set of Michelin Pros and bot spare tubes I carry. My only advice if you encounter this stuff is that you take both tires off the wheel completely, and turn the casings inside out until you pluck out each tiny shard. Then carry your bike well away from the treated area. Otherwise, the tire will go again within a few hundred yards as the shards continue to work their way through their casings. My group was only 2, but the LBS described whole groups being laid immobile as people go through all the spare tubes and folks are literally stranded in the cold far from home. I have some of the toughest Contis mounted now, but my guess is that they will be no match for this glass if I encounter another big patch. A real bummer to be added to distracted motorists on cell phones, dogs, black ice, and brutal cold as deterents from riding outside in winter. The trainer is looking better and better until the spring rains wash this **** away.

cuttr said:
Thanks for the heads up.

Were these State roads or township roads? What township?

Thanks
Township roads. My best reckoning is that it was Tredyfrynn Township Chesco, PA in the Diamond Rock Yellow Springs area if you are familiar. I have heard from other riders that a similar mix was used out near Chester Springs (Flowing Springs), but I caught my flats near after climbing Jug Handle to Country Club and then onto White Horse Road. We did call the township to *****, but my geuss is that they are going to spread this stuff until their supply is gone.