Road headset on mountain bike?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dave Smith, Apr 1, 2003.

  1. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    I have an old Specialized S-Works Steel that I've converted to a city bike. Now I'm having trouble
    finding a new 1" mountain headset for
    it. I'd rather not have to spend the bucks for a Chris King or something. Can I use a road
    headset on it?

    Tags:

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have an old Specialized S-Works Steel that I've converted to a city bike. Now I'm having trouble
    > finding a new 1" mountain headset for
    > it. I'd rather not have to spend the bucks for a Chris King or something. Can I use a road
    > headset on it?

    Headsets are headsets... The biggest difference between road and mtn are the "seals." More better
    seals to keep the grunge out of the bearings on the mtn versions.

    I like the Shimano sealed bearing headsets. Nice, light, durable, fairly inexpensive. If you've gone
    threadless on this bike, try the Cane Creek C2.

    Mike

  3. Ajames54™

    Ajames54™ Guest

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 10:09:39 -0800, Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have an old Specialized S-Works Steel that I've converted to a city bike. Now I'm having trouble
    >finding a new 1" mountain headset for
    >it. I'd rather not have to spend the bucks for a Chris King or something. Can I use a road headset
    > on it?

    Yeah you could... especially any of the lower grade ones .. there is almost no difference at that
    point ...but drop me an e-mail. I've got an unused XT headset circa '92 kicking around the basement
    .. If your interested... $20 plus S&H ...(assuming I can find it )

  4. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > > I have an old Specialized S-Works Steel that I've
    converted to a city
    > > bike. Now I'm having trouble finding a new 1" mountain
    headset for
    > > it. I'd rather not have to spend the bucks for a Chris
    King or
    > > something. Can I use a road headset on it?
    >
    > Headsets are headsets... The biggest difference between
    road and mtn are
    > the "seals." More better seals to keep the grunge out of
    the bearings on
    > the mtn versions.

    The most important seal is still the one that seals around the top locknut, keeping out sweat that
    drips down on the stem. Good road headsets have this.

    > I like the Shimano sealed bearing headsets. Nice, light,
    durable, fairly
    > inexpensive. If you've gone threadless on this bike, try
    the Cane Creek C2.

    In fact the Shimano ones are best, particularly for a rigid fork. This is because on long descents
    under hard braking, the fork flexes fore and aft over bumps, rocking the lower bearing race, causing
    fretting damage. Back in the days of lightweight rigid forks and 1" head tubes on mountain bikes,
    headsets were treated almost as consumables. The Shimano design goes a long way toward curing the
    problem. There's an article in the FAQ which explains this:

    http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.13.html

    So get a Shimano headset, if you can.

    Matt O.

  5. orngcat-<< I have an old Specialized S-Works Steel that I've converted to a city bike. Now I'm
    having trouble finding a new 1" mountain headset for
    it. I'd rather not have to spend the bucks for a Chris King or something. Can I use a road
    headset on it?

    of course...