Road Helmet Advice, Giro Synthe?

TomSynnott

Mar 10, 2015
Guys, am looking to get a great road helmet, I am looking at the Giro Synthe, it seems to be the absolute best out there but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

"Absolute best" at doing what?

I really doubt it is the 'best' in any helmet category...aerodynamics, protection, ventilation, fit, price, etc. It is a really good helmet though. I've spent the last 10 years in Giro helmets and I like them as well as any I've used.

But, to call a helmet 'best'?

Pretty much all the players manufacture some really nice head gear these days. I despise the look of Smith and POC helmets...among several other brands that are almost equally fugly to my eye, but I would think that ugly as they are they have all passed the same tests...more or less. There were two major names had to recall product because it actually did NOT pass the CPSC tests in all categories.

Catlike...could a helmet possibly be any fuglier? Yet it has been used by riders that have won just about every major ProTour race...it's as good as any I would wager.

If the looks and features of the Synthe put smile on your face, go for it! A helmet that is well liked is a helmet that is worn.

Giro makes some good stuff. I like Ridy Project as well. The Smith Optics Overtake is pretty sweet. My favorite right now is the Specialized Evade. There are a ton of good helmets out there. Not sure any are really any better than the others, at least within the same price rage anyway.

I did notice the Synthe doesn't have the wings at the back like most, it's more rounded does that have an effect or just part of their design?

The synthe is Giro's take on the aero-road helmet, though one of the more ventilated offerings. I remain skeptical on the aero benefits of any helmets in the category but it's a nice helmet. It's comfy, light and quiet.

After shopping around I bought a Synthe. Here are my impressions...

First, is it aero? In my experience the true aero benefit of any helmet varies considerably from rider to rider in the respect that a Bell Javelin may be 5% better than a Giro Selector for rider A but the Selector may be 5% better than the Javelin for rider B. BUT for rider A and rider B, both helmets are aerodynamically superior to a Specialized Propero II, which was my old helmet. So in that narrow scope the Synthe is definitely superior to my old helmet and if you're riding something similar the Synthe is 90% likely to be aerodynamically superior to your current helmet as well.

I also tried the Air Attack, Specialized Evade, and Kask Infinity. All great helmets. Didn't like the adjustable vents or retention on the Kask. The Evade is noticeably heavier. I don't think the Air Attack is nearly as well ventilated as the Synthe although Giro and several Air Attack users claim otherwise. You have to pick your poison between those two helmets because the Air Attack might be a skosh less ventilated but keeps much more sun off your head & that might be a valid concern. Plus, you can get a shield with the Air Attack and not with the Synthe.

The POC Octal is also a great helmet in my opinion! Very light, very well ventilated. However, not very aero. I think if you take a short ride with the Octal you'll be able to feel the aero difference between it and any of the above mentioned helmets.

In the end I decided to go with the Synthe because it was light and very comfortable...extremely well vented. I can wear it commuting and in most race situations. I even ride it in sprint triathlons with a clear conscience. So instead of paying for a road helmet and a dedicated aero helmet I can save some money and just buy a Synthe.

Good post, Brennus.

"In the end I decided to go with the Synthe because it was light and very comfortable...extremely well vented."

I think that hits Giro's strengths, spot on. I also like Giro lids just because they fit me well. The Roc Loc system works well for me, too. Helmets are very much like saddles. Everyone has to find what works for them. It sounds like you did just that.