Road helmet advice, giro synthe?

dongtac

Sep 15, 2017
Guys, am looking to get a great road helmet, I am looking at the Giro Synthe, it seems to be the absolute best out there but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I look for fit first. If it ain't comfy, I won't use it.
Second, I look for removable straps. I like to wash mine when they get smelly.
3rd, I look at design and price.
Couldn't care less about brand.

Guys, am looking to get a great road helmet, I am looking at the Giro Synthe, it seems to be the absolute best out there but any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I am on to my second Synthe. I guess I got the first one because I was swept up by the hype that made them sound so great, the standard helmet that's more aero than aero helmets. I can't really say if there is significant aero benefit - the only way I judge that is by how much drag I feel in the helmet when going down a steep a hill, and I can say that the Synthe certainly feels snug on my head in that situation, so it seems to go through the air nicely. However I have heard it didn't do so well in some aero tests done by cycling weekly so you might want to look into that if the aero aspect is important. Like Dabac I would say that fit is critical - if it doesn't feel good on your head don't get it no matter how much you like for other reasons. Fortunately the Synthe shape did suit my head so I was "happy" to a pay a premium for a helmet that looks good, feels light and well ventilated, and might be a bit aero. So why am I on to my second Synthe? A car cut me off last year and I went head first into the door. The first Synthe went to the driver's insurer with a nice dent in it. Since my head was fine I figured the helmet had fulfilled its true purpose eminently, beyond vanity, aerodynamics and ventilation, so I had no qualms about getting another Synthe. I haven't found the second quite as comfortable as the first but I've realised recently that was simply because I've had it dialed up a bit tight. I hope this helps. I would certainly recommend the Synthe. It's probably way overpriced, but it is nice looking and provides good road riding function. Doubtless there are plenty of other helmets out there that will protect your nut just as well, but I know this one works.

IMO all the Giro lids are good, but really all that much better than the competition? All of them have to pass the same safety tests and as was stated above the Synthe gets lower marks for aero than some of the 'non-aero' road helmets.

For ventilation and hot weather riding there are better options.

That said, there isn't a damned thing wrong with the Synthe. It's a decent choice for the weekend warrior or Pro Tour stage racer.

Washing any helmets pads and straps is easy, removable or not. I just put my helmet in the sink, run cold water all over it, soap it up with mild, antibacterial liquid hand soap and rinse it well. During the hot Summer months that may be done three times per week.

I recently bought the less expensive Giro Foray. It fit me well, and is lightweight with plenty of vents to boot. I've heard that the Foray design has benefited from the Sythne R&D. At $100 less than the Synthe I think its a bargain.

Giro Synthe is a good choice. Just look for helmet that look comfortable and fit well with you. Also check if it fits the standard measurement for your safety and good straps that fastened well on your chin. :)

Two thumbs up when it comes to it's aerodynamic design. Perhaps, Giro Synthe is fitting for those road riders out there. The coolest feature of this helmet is that it also has heat sensors to keep your head cooled off, how cool is that! ;)

Two thumbs up when it comes to it's aerodynamic design. Perhaps, Giro Synthe is fitting for those road riders out there. The coolest feature of this helmet is that it also has heat sensors to keep your head cooled off, how cool is that! ;)

How do you tell that one helmet is more aero than another? I just got back from my orthopedist who was riding down the north side of Mt. Diablo with a friend. The friend's wheel caught in a crack and dumped him. That aero section snapped his head around and broke his neck. He is now a paraplegic complete with breathing tube in his neck.

Hope you get a really large difference in speed vs. a round helmet.

BTW. That crack is still there.