ROAD ID, do you use it?

starship

Jun 16, 2004
I just ordered a ROADID. Seems like a good idea.

Any one else use use them.

starship said:

errrrr
i usually cycle with some form of ID...
and thats a good idea but it would seriously bug the **** outta me!
the things ppl have to have inorder to cycle is getting a bit too much..
i try to keep it to a minimal..
i would recomend just carrying a small wallet in the back of your jersey..

i cant see any downside in having a ID with potentially lifesaving info attached to your body.

of course, someone is gonna ask: how much does it weigh? :rolleyes:

ThrillBilly said:
i cant see any downside in having a ID with potentially lifesaving info attached to your body.

of course, someone is gonna ask: how much does it weigh? :rolleyes:

hehehe - less than an oxygen mask?

Seriously, though, around $20 is a bit much - in my mickey-mouse currency that is R120-00. It would be much cheaper (around R20-00, or $3.50) to get a custom dog-tag such as I have for my German Shepherds (or even my old Army dog-tags - though those have seriously bad connotations for me still).

At our local fleamarket we have several stalls that will create custom tags for your dogs, text unlimited, for around R20.00. And guess where I'm going tomorrow?

kbs23 said:
I have an implant. Has all my biometric info.
:D
Huh! You HAVE to be joking - we use those for animals over here, and even then the SPCA misses them on strays more often than not, and the animals are put down... I hope that doesn't happen to YOU!!!!

starship said:

When I ride I carry my driver's license and a credit card in a small pouch that fits under my saddle. Sometimes, I carry them in the small pocket provided inside my cycling shorts. I don't see a need for a "special ID".

Goosebeak said:
hehehe - less than an oxygen mask?

Seriously, though, around $20 is a bit much - in my mickey-mouse currency that is R120-00. It would be much cheaper (around R20-00, or $3.50) to get a custom dog-tag such as I have for my German Shepherds (or even my old Army dog-tags - though those have seriously bad connotations for me still).

At our local fleamarket we have several stalls that will create custom tags for your dogs, text unlimited, for around R20.00. And guess where I'm going tomorrow?

Yeah 20 bucks is a little much... I just did a search for "medical information card" and came upon a link at state farm's website. It let me fill out my information and printed it in a nice card size format. I then put it in my wallet. Way cheaper!

Try this:

measure out how big you want it and then set that size in say... Corel Draw.
make it up to look as you want it (put all the info you need on it) and then, Print it out really nice and then get it laminated and then stick it in your wallet

Simple!

thats what i'm going to do ;) (when i get time of cause)

Hey, what about a Tattoo? You could even barcode yourself!

Just make sure it's where you don't normally get roasties - um..... some areas spring to mind, but there are ladies lurking...

Oh! I nearly forgot! You also need to find a place that isn't normally subject to stretchmarks.....

kbs23 said:
I have an implant. Has all my biometric info.

Get out! You're kidding, right? I mean, the guy in the station wagon that runs you over because he's distracted by his kids fighting in the back seat isn't going to have a smart-chip reader in the car with him. Is this just so they can ID your body?

I feel that my wallet in my jersey pocket will satisfy the requirement without paying someone else to print a label for me, but if it works for you, then by all means go for it.

gruppo said:
I feel that my wallet in my jersey pocket will satisfy the requirement without paying someone else to print a label for me, but if it works for you, then by all means go for it.
I just carry a proof of age card that say's who I am and where I live etc.

I have a road ID. It has my name and emergency #'s on it. It's pretty much a dog tag. Yeah I paid $20. (Another piece of metal that cost money)I wear it around my neck with my house key. I like it alot. I dont worry about keys or a wallet. A few dollars always stashed in my seat pack, nice and clean no bulk.

It's a good idea, but I think it's another way for an opportunistic company to make a quick buck. Carry a laminated business card in your jersey and everything should be good to go. :)

Best Wishes,
Vector7

I have the type that goes onto my shoe. It's better than carrying my license, as I leave the Road ID on the shoe so I'll never forget. I prefer that version than the neck version, as having something dangling around my neck while I'm cycling gets annoying & distracting. I don't mind spending the money; that's what it's there for...