road kill

On 13/6/04 8:13 am, in article
[email protected], "Graeme"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> What? Old Genghis was Anglo-Saxon was he? That explains the stroppy
> attitude of some English football supporters then :)

Natural selection.

Over the last 2000 years Britain has carefully selected it's immigrants from
those most able to invade, rape, pillage and so on.

Is it surprising that these traits are then revealed under the duress of the
continuing European war by another name.

...d

On 13/6/04 1:21 pm, in article [email protected],
"Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote:

> I believe that a gas chamber is the preferred method of killing large
> rodents in a lab according to the Home Office.

I'll remember to order one for the bike then.. DO shimano do a lightweight
Dura-Ace version of the rodent gas chamber ;-)

The personal method of choice would be the big rock, picking up a vicious
wee beastie is definitely a last resort.

...d

"Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mark South [email protected]lid opined the following...
> > The rats would not care. They'd carry on destroying 60% of crops and

damaging
> > the rest in storage.

> So you use the money to build better stores. That solves one problem.

Do you know how hard/expensive it is to build a rodent-proof store?

> Presumably we must have a similar problem in the developed world, yet we
> don't starve!

Now you've made me hungry.

> > > I think that for humans to criticise any animal for damaging
> > > biodiversity is hypocrisy on a grand scale. Rabbits in Australia? The
> > > Dodo? Smallpox? We don't hold a good track record on leaving no mark.

> > No, we don't. And spreading rats is a lot worse than introducing Rabbits to

Oz
> > was.

> But on a par with our ability to commit genocide. Smallpox is
> significant because if the small stocks currently held in research labs
> are destroyed it'll be the first time that humanity has intentionally
> destroyed a species, as apposed to not looking where we tread.

But if it makes some people aware that we are walking on eggs that's a good
thing.

> > > That description applies equally (If not more so) to humans. Lovely
> > > chaps indeed.

> > I've already given you a list to chant of humans that need to be knocked

off.

> In another thread? I think I know the one. I just think it's dangerous
> to criticise animals for doing similar things to man without
> simultaneously acknowledging our contributions.

There are two sides to the situation, but you find yourself firmly on one of
them and it's difficult to change sides at this stage :)
--
"Mango sorbet is clearcut proof that we have progressed beyond the
bare needs of survival and have progressed to the transcendant."

David Martin [email protected] opined the following...
> I'll remember to order one for the bike then.. DO shimano do a lightweight
> Dura-Ace version of the rodent gas chamber ;-)

You haven't seen it? GC-7800. It's not very efficient mind, what with
all the holes Shimano drilled in it to reduce the weight.

Jon

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 07:13:16 GMT, Graeme
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Dave Kahn <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>
>> I should be alright, Kahn being an old Anglo Saxon name after all.

>What? Old Genghis was Anglo-Saxon was he? That explains the stroppy
>attitude of some English football supporters then :)

In fact my surname comes from a Polish Shtetl. Kahan, Kaplan, Cohen
and even Schiff are variations on the same name. In some areas where
people were largely illiterate they would hang signs outside their
houses to identify themselves. The Kahns would naturally display a
boat as "Kahn" coincidentally means "boat" in German. They probably
felt that an upgrade to ship was good for their social standing. On my
mother's side (parents' names Keay and Hammond) my roots are in
Lincolnshire and lowland Scotland.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain