Road levers and small hands

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jacques Moser, Mar 12, 2004.

  1. I have relatively small hands, but definitely not tiny ones.
    On my Bianchi road bike, I have difficulties grabbing the
    Campagnolo levers when I am on the drops. On my commuter
    bike, going from straight bars to drop bars, I chose Sora
    levers partly because they are fitted with an adjustment
    screw that allows you to bring the levers closer to the bar
    (this also reduces available cable travel !). Only this way
    can I make it comfortable to grab the levers from the drops.
    Am I the only one to experience this problem ? How do others
    adress it ?

    Jacques

    Tags:

  2. Paul

    Paul Guest

    My Bianchi came with ITM bars which have an anatomic bend. I
    could not reach the brake levers from the drops. I changed
    my bars to Nitto bars, which are round bend, and I find it
    much easier to reach the brakes from the drops.

    Paul

    "Jacques Moser" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > I have relatively small hands, but definitely not tiny
    > ones. On my Bianchi road bike, I have difficulties
    > grabbing the Campagnolo levers when I am on the drops. On
    > my commuter bike, going from straight bars to drop bars, I
    > chose Sora levers partly because they are fitted with an
    > adjustment screw that allows you to bring the levers
    > closer to the bar (this also reduces available cable
    > travel !). Only this way can I make it comfortable to grab
    > the levers from the drops. Am I the only one to experience
    > this problem ? How do others adress it ?
    >
    > Jacques

  3. Alan Hoyle

    Alan Hoyle Guest

  4. Jacques Moser <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I have relatively small hands, but definitely not tiny
    > ones. On my Bianchi road bike, I have difficulties
    > grabbing the Campagnolo levers when I am on the drops. On
    > my commuter bike, going from straight bars to drop bars, I
    > chose Sora levers partly because they are fitted with an
    > adjustment screw that allows you to bring the levers
    > closer to the bar (this also reduces available cable
    > travel !). Only this way can I make it comfortable to grab
    > the levers from the drops. Am I the only one to experience
    > this problem ? How do others adress it ?

    I also have very small hands for a male. On my road bike I
    have used 3T drop bars with the "anatomical" bend, the exact
    models being Prima 220 and Morphe. The levers are modern
    Campagnolo Ergopower levers.

    I also initially had serious trouble reaching the brake
    levers from the drops, but I've been able to fix the problem
    pretty well. To my experience, both the angle at which the
    bar is positioned and the angle of the levers make a
    difference. I have rotated my bars higher than usual, so
    that the flat section of the drops is higher and the ends of
    the bars point quite low. The levers are positioned so that
    the top of the hood is almost exactly horizontal. Many
    people have their Campagnolo levers mounted higher than
    this, which tends to make it more difficult to reach the
    brake levers from the drops.

    With this setup, I was able to bring the levers much closer
    to the flat section of the drops and easy to grab. In
    general, I suggest that you unwrap the bar tape and start
    playing with both the angle of the bar and the position of
    the levers.

    When I get home tomorrow, I can put some photographs of my
    setup on the web, if you think it could help.

    -as

  5. Kent Dorfman

    Kent Dorfman Guest

    ------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C40851.6DD252D0 Content-Type:
    text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-15" Content-Transfer-Encoding:
    quoted-printable

    What does that say about the rest of you? "Jacques Moser"
    <[email protected]> wrote in =
    message news:p[email protected]... I
    have relatively small hands, but definitely not tiny ones.
    On my = Bianchi road bike, I have difficulties grabbing the
    Campagnolo levers when I = am on the drops. On my commuter
    bike, going from straight bars to drop bars, = I chose Sora
    levers partly because they are fitted with an adjustment =
    screw that allows you to bring the levers closer to the bar
    (this also = reduces available cable travel !). Only this
    way can I make it comfortable to = grab the levers from the
    drops. Am I the only one to experience this problem ? How do
    others adress it = ?

    Jacques ------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C40851.6DD252D0 Content-
    Type: text/html; charset="ISO-8859-15" Content-Transfer-
    Encoding: quoted-printable

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
    Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-
    Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-15"> <META
    content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR>
    <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>What does that say about
    the rest of=20 you?</FONT></DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE=20 style=3D"PADDING-
    RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; = BORDER-
    LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
    <DV>"Jacques Moser" <<A=20
    =
    href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">m-
    oser.removethe= [email protected]</A>>=20 wrote
    in message <A=20
    =
    href=3D"news:p[email protected]">new-
    s:pan.2004.03.=
    [email protected]</A>...</DIV>I=20 have
    relatively small hands, but definitely not tiny
    ones. On my=20 Bianchi<BR>road bike, I have
    difficulties grabbing the Campagnolo = levers
    when=20 I am on<BR>the drops. On my commuter
    bike, going from straight bars to = drop=20
    bars, I<BR>chose Sora levers partly because they
    are fitted with an = adjustment=20 screw<BR>that
    allows you to bring the levers closer to the bar
    (this = also=20 reduces<BR>available cable
    travel !). Only this way can I make it =
    comfortable=20 to grab<BR>the levers from the
    drops.<BR>Am I the only one to = experience
    this=20 problem ? How do others adress it =
    ?<BR><BR>Jacques</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

    ------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C40851.6DD252D0--

  7. Frank Knox

    Frank Knox Guest

    "Jacques Moser" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > I have relatively small hands, but definitely not tiny
    > ones. On my Bianchi road bike, I have difficulties
    > grabbing the Campagnolo levers when I am on the drops. On
    > my commuter bike, going from straight bars to drop bars, I
    > chose Sora levers partly because they are fitted with an
    > adjustment screw that allows you to bring the levers
    > closer to the bar (this also reduces available cable
    > travel !). Only this way can I make it comfortable to grab
    > the levers from the drops. Am I the only one to experience
    > this problem ? How do others adress it ?
    >
    > Jacques

    Look at the Terry T bar.
    http://www.terrybicycles.com/BPA/220.lasso
    http://www.terrybicycles.com/

  8. On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 20:42:02 +0000, Antti Salonen wrote:

    > Jacques Moser
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I have relatively small hands, but definitely not tiny
    >> ones. On my Bianchi road bike, I have difficulties
    >> grabbing the Campagnolo levers when I am on the drops. On
    >> my commuter bike, going from straight bars to drop bars,
    >> I chose Sora levers partly because they are fitted with
    >> an adjustment screw that allows you to bring the levers
    >> closer to the bar (this also reduces available cable
    >> travel !). Only this way can I make it comfortable to
    >> grab the levers from the drops. Am I the only one to
    >> experience this problem ? How do others adress it ?
    >
    > I also have very small hands for a male. On my road bike I
    > have used 3T drop bars with the "anatomical" bend, the
    > exact models being Prima 220 and Morphe. The levers are
    > modern Campagnolo Ergopower levers.
    >
    > I also initially had serious trouble reaching the brake
    > levers from the drops, but I've been able to fix the
    > problem pretty well. To my experience, both the angle at
    > which the bar is positioned and the angle of the levers
    > make a difference. I have rotated my bars higher than
    > usual, so that the flat section of the drops is higher and
    > the ends of the bars point quite low. The levers are
    > positioned so that the top of the hood is almost exactly
    > horizontal. Many people have their Campagnolo levers
    > mounted higher than this, which tends to make it more
    > difficult to reach the brake levers from the drops.
    >
    > With this setup, I was able to bring the levers much
    > closer to the flat section of the drops and easy to grab.
    > In general, I suggest that you unwrap the bar tape and
    > start playing with both the angle of the bar and the
    > position of the levers.
    >
    > When I get home tomorrow, I can put some photographs of my
    > setup on the web, if you think it could help.
    >
    > -as

    Yeah, I've also found out that rotating bars makes a
    difference. But if I make them easier for braking on the
    drops, then the hoods are too low for comfortable cruising
    (too much weight on the hands).