Road Miles

frusso10

Nov 24, 2004
There is a lot written on when to replace a chain. How many miles do you get before replacing your chin?

frusso10 said:
How many miles do you get before replacing your chin?

Just speaking for myself, I am at roughly 50,000 miles still using my original chin. Why would you want to replace it, better aerodynamics or breathing, or helmet strap not fit quite right?

Just kidding, the obvious answer to your question: How long is a rope?
in memory of boudreaux ;)

Seriously, depends a lot on the environment it is used in, how often (and well) it is cleaned and lubricated. I have had to replace some at 1500 miles... right now I am on a narrow Campy chain with almost 5,000 miles I clean it every other ride (100-200 miles) and lube it with Pro-Link oil. I have seen much shorter life with wax lubricant, especially when combined with wet riding(the 1500 mile chain was in Brazil, while using white lightning and getting caught in rain at the begining of a long ride several times).

frusso10 said:
There is a lot written on when to replace a chain. How many miles do you get before replacing your chin?

Not to sound pissy, but indeed there is a lot written on this forum about when to replace a chain. Try the search function, it's all been said many, many times before. Every time an old topic is dredged up it eats up space on the web hosting server (which costs money). If we want to keep this a free forum, it is something to keep in mind.

The easy answer to your question is, replace it when it has stretched too much. I tend to replace mine about every 5000 miles (6'00", 185 lbs.), but it depends on the type of riding you do, and how much you weigh (thus how much torque you are continually putting on the cranks). Just go to the LBS, ask them to measure your chain for stretch, and then if they say it's outside of spec, then have it replaced.

frusso10 said:
I know when to replace my chain. I use a Park CC-3 Gauge. It takes the guess work out of chain replacment. I was asking how many miles DO YOU GET before chain replacment.

capwater said:
Not to sound pissy, but indeed there is a lot written on this forum about when to replace a chain. Try the search function, it's all been said many, many times before. Every time an old topic is dredged up it eats up space on the web hosting server (which costs money). If we want to keep this a free forum, it is something to keep in mind.
Then why as you put it, eat up space by answering my question. I know when to replace my chain. I was just asking how many miles do you get. Think of it as a survey which I see all the time on cycling forms.

frusso10 said:
I know when to replace my chain. I use a Park CC-3 Gauge. It takes the guess work out of chain replacment. I was asking how many miles DO YOU GET before chain replacment.
Dude, chill. While trying to HELP YOU, people misinterpreted your post.

frusso10 said:

That's like asking me my shoe size ........ what does it matter what one person gets? If you knew anything about chain wear you'd understand that there are so many variables unique to each rider and riding style to make pure mileage to mileage comparisans futiule. That being said I always change my chain when it reaches 5269.3333 miles ....... even if I have to stop mid-ride to do so.