Road mini pump

thomas_cho

Jan 4, 2005
Hi everyone,
I am in the market for a mini pump which would fit into a jersey pocket (ideally).

But more importantly one which allows relatively easy inflation of the tyre to 100psi or near there.

I currently have a BBB minipump, which although has a gauge rated to 120psi, it seems like I do not have the strength to pump my tyres to beyond 60psi.

Could you guys recommend a pump which can be reasonably used to inflate my tyres to around 100 psi? I hate to be stuck kms from home with a flat and without a usable pump.

Thanks in advance

thomas_cho said:
Hi everyone,
I am in the market for a mini pump which would fit into a jersey pocket (ideally).

But more importantly one which allows relatively inflation of the tyre to 100psi or near there.

I currently have a BBB minipump, which although has a gauge rated to 120psi, it seems like I do not have the strength to pump my tyres to beyond 60psi.

Could you guys recommend a pump which can be reasonably used to inflate my tyres to around 100 psi? I hate to be stuck kms from home with a flat and without a usable pump.

Thanks in advance
I'll try tonight - I have 2 which should do high pressure. Feedback tomorrow.

thomas_cho said:
Hi everyone,

But more importantly one which allows relatively easy inflation of the tyre to 100psi or near there.

Thanks in advance
As well as my mini pump, I've got one of those C02 pressurised inflators. I get started with the hand pump, and then blast it with the pressurised thingy (for an example, see http://www.bonthronebikes.co.uk/112-973).
The cartridges cost around $6, so they're not cheap if you get a lot of punctures, but they work beautifully. They claim to pump to around 120psi. I'm usually too scared to just let it run to the end, but it certainly does much better than hand pumping (yes, I'm lazy).

Despite having around 20 different types of bike pumps for sale, my LBS made me wait a week to sell me a bike pump that they thought was good for me. It's called a PocketRocket Master Blaster. It's a small, light alloy one which has a very skinny shaft.

I would say that you should pick one with a skinny shaft, as this should help with getting the inflation level up. Past that get a gym membership !

gclark8 said:
Yes, it is a bit bigger than a mobile phone.
Hi George
You seem to be able to find it all !!!! You are a very helpfull asset to these forums.
Bye Al

I tested the 2 pumps I have tonight for pressure.

Both will do over 80 psi BUT you'll spend a lot of time pumping since the increase per stroke is almost zero at that pressure. I have never considered them anything else but emergency pumps to get me back on the road again without stressing over the actual pressure, as long as it feels pretty stiff. At home I use the floor pump to correct pressure.

One is a Crank Brothers Power pump, basically the smallest and lightest pump; it has 2 settings one for volume the other for pressure. First you get it up then you pressurise it. Lots of people hate them, I think it is because they haven't practised with it.
ppump.jpg

The other one is a SKS Airboy. A thin diameter pump.
11063.jpg

I like them both for size and weight. Both require you to practise using them to get good results, especially the SKS. Both are extremely light and small. They will fit in a jersey pocket especially the CB one which is about 150mm long and 25mm in diameter.

Jur
Thanks for helping out, appreciate the work out that you had to go through.

I do intend to use the pump as just a get back on the road thingy. I have a track pump at home.

I came across many praises for the Topeak Road morph ... anyone use it before?

Cheers
Thomas

thomas_cho said:
Jur

I do intend to use the pump as just a get back on the road thingy. I have a track pump at home.

Cheers
Thomas

I have 2 Topeak Turbo Morphs, and they will easily get to 125 PSI
The Turbo Morph has a dial gauge with pointer. In Bike North there are some senior aged riders who use these pumps to inflate their tyres.
These pumps are best used as a track pump. They won't fit into a jersey pocket, but come with a frame mount bracket. You can buy a second bracket for additional bikes or use two brackets for more secure mounting to the frame.

Mke

mikeg said:
I have 2 Topeak Turbo Morphs, and they will easily get to 125 PSI
The Turbo Morph has a dial gauge with pointer. In Bike North there are some senior aged riders who use these pumps to inflate their tyres.
These pumps are best used as a track pump. They won't fit into a jersey pocket, but come with a frame mount bracket. You can buy a second bracket for additional bikes or use two brackets for more secure mounting to the frame.

Mke

Thanks Mike, just put in an order for the Topeak Road Morph. Good tip about getting another bracket.

thomas_cho said:
Thanks Mike, just put in an order for the Topeak Road Morph. Good tip about getting another bracket.
i've had a crank bros... good as an emergency but i am not that patient

i've used many pumps... topeak turbo morph kicks them all!

jur said:
One is a Crank Brothers Power pump, basically the smallest and lightest pump; it has 2 settings one for volume the other for pressure. First you get it up then you pressurise it. Lots of people hate them, I think it is because they haven't practised with it.
I've had one of those for quite a while now. The only thing it's got going for it is that it fits in a jersey pocket or small seat bag.
I flatted 2/3 of the way through a road race last weekend... no problem, found the leak quickly, left the wheel on and just pulled enough tube out to patch... all going well 'till I had to get air back into it. A good 5 minutes hard pumping for something like 15psi.
Seems it's developed an internal leak... lbs where I bought it are getting new seals for it.
I did successfully use it about 8 months ago, but it took so long to get pressure up, people in the group I was riding in were taking turns to get it up to 80psi - can you say arm cramp?
Maybe mine's been a dud since new, but I went out and bought a skinny alu pump that clips onto my frame (they come under various brands and have a very small "Air Supply" sticker at the business end). As soon as I got it I tried it out.
120psi in less than 2 minutes (it said 165psi on the package... dunno about that but I reckon it'd do 140 fairly easily)
I looked at the Road Morph, great idea and a very capable pump but a bit too cumbersome for what I was after.

thomas_cho said:
Jur

Cheers
Thomas
Even the Topeak Mountain Morph, which I use as a road frame pump, can easily pump to >130psi in floor mode. I imagine that it is quite a bit faster than the Road Morph.
I think that if you are going to carry a pump, it may as well be a good one. I can't see the point of carrying a pump that will only inflate to 60-80psi for the sake of a few grams.

flipper said:
I've had one of those for quite a while now. The only thing it's got going for it is that it fits in a jersey pocket or small seat bag.
I flatted 2/3 of the way through a road race last weekend... no problem, found the leak quickly, left the wheel on and just pulled enough tube out to patch... all going well 'till I had to get air back into it. A good 5 minutes hard pumping for something like 15psi.
Seems it's developed an internal leak... lbs where I bought it are getting new seals for it.
I did successfully use it about 8 months ago, but it took so long to get pressure up, people in the group I was riding in were taking turns to get it up to 80psi - can you say arm cramp?
Maybe mine's been a dud since new, but I went out and bought a skinny alu pump that clips onto my frame (they come under various brands and have a very small "Air Supply" sticker at the business end). As soon as I got it I tried it out.
120psi in less than 2 minutes (it said 165psi on the package... dunno about that but I reckon it'd do 140 fairly easily)
I looked at the Road Morph, great idea and a very capable pump but a bit too cumbersome for what I was after.
My CB pump also leaked; I investigated, took it apart and found an internal rubber cylindrical ring damaged. Dirt Works said there are no spares, I took the ring and turned it over and then it was fine. Dirt Works said they can get damaged when pushing the pump too far over the Presta valve; turning the head to seal it then scrapes the Presta screw thingy past the internal rubber ring. Mine showed exactly that damage (wasn't me, got it second-hand).

Take it apart by unscrewing both the head end caps and removing the inner rubber and plastic bits; the head then comes off exposing the rubber ring.

CB pumps are fine once you know their issues but I think the average user would struggle too much. The damage is also too easy.

The cylindrical seal has a rounded edge facing out. When you turn it around (which is what I'd already done) you end up with a square edge which makes it hard to lock the pump to either side unless you back off the collar.
It certainly doesn't take much to scrape that seal, and from all of the negative reviews I've read, I reckon 90% would be from that very issue... but then not many people bother to dismantle anything these days.
Dirt Works said there are no spares
Cyclelink reckons there are so I'll wait and see what they come up with.
CB pumps are fine once you know their issues but I think the average user would struggle too much.
They're really not capable of anywhere near the pressures they claim. Maybe they're better suited to MTB.

Scotty_Dog said:
George,

Did you ever get the pump from Cyclaire?
If so, can you give a review?

Thanks,
Scott

Hi Scott

I am not George but I have had a cyclaire for about 6 months or so (I think).... best pump I have had. It will do 120 psi easy, hangs off my top tube in its own bag (although it is small enough to fit in a jersey pocket) and the pressure gauge lets you know exactly what pressure you have. In short gets the thumbs up from me.

thomas_cho said:
You won't be dissapointed with this pump. Seems like you have to travel a long hard road to find a decent pump but once you get to the Road Morph the journey had ended. Pumping to 120psi is effortless unlike other pumps that make you blue in the face to get to that pressure.