Road mini pump

artemidorus said:
Even the Topeak Mountain Morph, which I use as a road frame pump, can easily pump to >130psi in floor mode. I imagine that it is quite a bit faster than the Road Morph.
I think that if you are going to carry a pump, it may as well be a good one. I can't see the point of carrying a pump that will only inflate to 60-80psi for the sake of a few grams.
Yep,

I have the mountain morph.

Much better than the road morph. My wife (a small ) woman can easily pump in 100+ psi (I have done 120+ before I stopped).

The guage on this is much more friendly than the inline one on the road morph.

Very durable too.

Scotty

scotty72 said:
Yep,

I have the mountain morph.

Much better than the road morph. My wife (a small ) woman can easily pump in 100+ psi (I have done 120+ before I stopped).

The guage on this is much more friendly than the inline one on the road morph.

Very durable too.

Scotty
I didn't know that they come with a gauge now - mine certainly hasn't got one.

artemidorus said:
Sorry - checked

I have the Turbo morph - which has a dial gauge.

SCotty

artemidorus said:

It is the Topeak Turbo Morph that has the gauge (dial). I am pretty sure Scotty's Pump is the Turbo Morph model

I have probably pumped up more other peoples tyres with my Turbo Morph pump on the rides than my own tyres - easy to use

Mike G

I bought the road morph. Great pump. Only criticism, is the little foot thing that folds out.

While mine is still attached, with more usage I am sure I could break it.

Truth be told, I still carry around my old pump which is a BBB mini pump. Not possible to pump to 120psi by hand.

But I can pump to just over 100psi by doing the following:

1. Take off the wheel that needs to be inflated, and rest it flat on its side.
2. Position it over a curb, such that the head of the pump when fitted to the valve rests on the curb.
3. This means that I dont have to use my own strength to hold the pump while inflating. This is a similar principle to the morph pumps ... the opposite force to resist the pump moving is provided by the ground on which the pump is resting.

The danger is:
1. This is not a stable position, if the head were to slip, the downward force could take your hand into the spokes.
2. There may not be a curb available. I found that I could use my multipurpose tool to achieve the same effect, but Danger point 1 is enhanced five-fold!

I find the road morph too large to carry in my jersey and did not want to mount it on my bike. But I carried it in my pannier bag when I was commuting.
Hope that helps ...

thomas_cho said:
I bought the road morph. Great pump. Only criticism, is the little foot thing that folds out.

While mine is still attached, with more usage I am sure I could break it.

I find the road morph too large to carry in my jersey and did not want to mount it on my bike. But I carried it in my pannier bag when I was commuting.
Hope that helps ...
I have the road morph with the inline gauge (now known as Road Morph G - they have to change the name every year don't they). Great pump, just a tad too big but it's fine on my frame. I worry about the little foot foldout pad but so far it's still attached to the pump after about 1 1/2 year of service (use it sparingly every few months). The main problem I found is actually the mounting bracket, it came with screws that rust.

Scotty_Dog said:
George,

Did you ever get the pump from Cyclaire?
If so, can you give a review?

Thanks,
Scott
Hi Scott,

Sadly no. I have not been able to arange a satisfactory payment method, as I don't wish to use a credit card and he won't accept a money order.

He is arranging an Aus agent and will advise me when they are available locally.

:) Thanks very much to Chris for the reply. Where did you buy yours?

chrispatoz said:
Hi Scott

I am not George but I have had a cyclaire for about 6 months or so (I think).... best pump I have had. It will do 120 psi easy, hangs off my top tube in its own bag (although it is small enough to fit in a jersey pocket) and the pressure gauge lets you know exactly what pressure you have. In short gets the thumbs up from me.
gclark8 said:
Hi Scott,

Sadly no. I have not been able to arange a satisfactory payment method, as I don't wish to use a credit card and he won't accept a money order.

He is arranging an Aus agent and will advise me when they are available locally.

Thank you both for the replies.

Hi
We have just established Cyclaire agency for Australia. We expect the pumps to be here in about 90 days.

Let me know if you need any info.

gclark8 said:
Hi Scott,

George

I am really sorry about the delay in replying ... guilty of not reading the thread again. I got mine from Cyclaire direct (UK I think) and paid by credit card no problems and arrived within a week.

cyclaire.com.au said:
Hi
We have just established Cyclaire agency for Australia. We expect the pumps to be here in about 90 days.

Let me know if you need any info.
What will the RRP of these be in AUS?

roshea said:
What will the RRP of these be in AUS?
Hi Roshea
We are waiting for some final shipping figures but are aiming for $48 inclusive of the carry case and GST (give or take a $1).

Regards

Lynne

thomas_cho said:
Hi everyone,
I am in the market for a mini pump which would fit into a jersey pocket (ideally).

But more importantly one which allows relatively easy inflation of the tyre to 100psi or near there.

I currently have a BBB minipump, which although has a gauge rated to 120psi, it seems like I do not have the strength to pump my tyres to beyond 60psi.

Could you guys recommend a pump which can be reasonably used to inflate my tyres to around 100 psi? I hate to be stuck kms from home with a flat and without a usable pump.

Thanks in advance
You are wasting your time and money with a mini pump. Once you have repaired the old tube or fitted a new one, blow it JUST into shape with your lungs, fit it to the tyre and rim then use the smaller CO2 pressurised cylinders.

You can buy two sizes at your LBS. Buy the smaller size.

Doing the above will give you 7bar. The cannister takes less than one second to inflate the tyre. Read the instructions. Carry two on a ride just in case.

Mini pumps are maxi effort for mini results

ric hallgren said:
use the smaller CO2 pressurised cylinders.
We've been down this road many times before on this forum.

To put it short and sweet - CO2 cartridges are unnecessarily more wasteful than simply using a mini pump, which goes against the priciples of many cyclists who ride bikes to minimise waste and emissions.

The only circumstance I would ever consider the use of CO2 as justifiable is in an unsupported race.

n

nerdag said:

To put it short and sweet - CO2 cartridges are unnecessarily more wasteful than simply using a mini pump, which goes against the priciples of many cyclists who ride bikes to minimise waste and emissions.

The only circumstance I would ever consider the use of CO2 as justifiable is in an unsupported race.

n
I agree to disagree. CO2 cartridges are fully recyclable. Bike mounted hand pumps exposed to all manner of weather on occasion have fouled up on me at the most inconvenient time (that being trying to get air into the tyre!). A 25g C02 cartridge pumps 42psi ito my 26x1.90 without fuss, without sweat. I carry 2 spares in my seat bag and the hand pump in the car for post-ride top-up or repairs.

nerdag said:

n
I omitted to mention that 7 bar is for a roadie, probsbly less for a MTB.

As for the above comment, if you are willing to ride on 3-4 bar on a road bike via a mini pump then I guess ideaology trumps pragmatism.

ric hallgren said:
I omitted to mention that 7 bar is for a roadie, probsbly less for a MTB.

As for the above comment, if you are willing to ride on 3-4 bar on a road bike via a mini pump then I guess ideaology trumps pragmatism.
A good frame pump will go to 160psi without trouble - ideology is irrelevant.