Road newbie Tyre valve question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Andrew, Mar 22, 2003.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    I am trying without success to get my track pump to fit the valves on my new road bike.

    I have fitted the adapter but there is no release of air as I clip on the pump. If I pump it is
    clearly not connecting with the tyre & just pressurising the hose.

    I know there is an ultra obvious answer to this, just not to me.

    The valves are longer and skinnier than the car type ones on my MTB. He says technically &
    helpfully.

    --
    Andrew

    "Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do with the ball, just
    stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options afterwards."

    Tags:

  2. andrew wrote:
    > I am trying without success to get my track pump to fit the valves on my new road bike.
    >
    > I have fitted the adapter but there is no release of air as I clip on the pump. If I pump it is
    > clearly not connecting with the tyre & just pressurising the hose.
    >
    > I know there is an ultra obvious answer to this, just not to me.
    >
    > The valves are longer and skinnier than the car type ones on my MTB. He says technically &
    > helpfully.

    Hmmm...... Try opening the valve ;) If you already have opened it buy unscrewing the top, you may
    have to tap it once or twice to loosen it up before you attach the pump.

    --
    Perre

    Remove the DOTs to reply

  3. "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > andrew wrote:
    > > I am trying without success to get my track pump to fit the valves on my new road bike.
    > >
    > > I have fitted the adapter but there is no release of air as I clip on the pump. If I pump it is
    > > clearly not connecting with the tyre & just pressurising the hose.
    > >
    > > I know there is an ultra obvious answer to this, just not to me.
    > >
    > > The valves are longer and skinnier than the car type ones on my MTB. He says technically &
    > > helpfully.
    >
    > Hmmm...... Try opening the valve ;) If you already have opened it buy unscrewing the top, you may
    > have to tap
    it
    > once or twice to loosen it up before you attach the pump.
    >
    > --
    > Perre
    >
    > Remove the DOTs to reply

    Presta valves have a knurled knob on top. Gently unscrew the knob until it stops, inflate your
    tire, then gently screw the knob 'till it's snug.

  4. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Isn't Usenet brilliant?

    Thanks chaps. I knew I was missing something REALLY obvious.

    There's now a fat 140 psi in my tyres.

    --
    Andrew

    "Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do with the ball, just
    stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options afterwards." andrew