Commuting and Road Safety · Public discussion

Road Or Mountain Bike For Winter?

Started by cdat · · Last activity · 3 posts · 2,540 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Commuting and Road Safety
Published
10 August 2005
Last activity
11 August 2005
Original author
cdat
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,540
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am going to be a first time winter commuter this year, I have a Ross 10 speed that I am riding now. Looking for advice, I live in Buffalo, NY, and have heard good things about both road and mountain bikes for snow. Am I better off getting a mountain bike or good treads for the Ross?

  2. I've tried all my bikes at one time or another (6). I found the road bikes cut through snow much better but have poor traction. I found the mountain bikes get great traction but cut through the snow poorly. I also tried studded tires on the mountain bike. I ended up using the Redline cross bike with wide tires and a snow tread and it works great. I guess you might want to try using a cross tire in the winter time and see how it works for you. By the way, the Redline is a great all duty bike. Winter, spring, summer or fall, all you have to do is call, and it's up to the task.

    Later!

  3. Thanks for the advice, I have 27 1/4 tires on and Zefal Mountain bike fenders- I am leaning towards new tires with tread- with the wide fenders and good tread, I think I will be ok, not much chance of snow building up on me. But a few people I know ride mountian bikes and recomend them - but no one I know commutes daily like I have to, so I need to get around safely and am looking for all the help I can get.

    FELTF10 said:

    I've tried all my bikes at one time or another (6). I found the road bikes cut through snow much better but have poor traction. I found the mountain bikes get great traction but cut through the snow poorly. I also tried studded tires on the mountain bike. I ended up using the Redline cross bike with wide tires and a snow tread and it works great. I guess you might want to try using a cross tire in the winter time and see how it works for you. By the way, the Redline is a great all duty bike. Winter, spring, summer or fall, all you have to do is call, and it's up to the task.

    Later!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.