Road Or Mountain Bike For Winter?

cdat

Jul 24, 2004
I am going to be a first time winter commuter this year, I have a Ross 10 speed that I am riding now. Looking for advice, I live in Buffalo, NY, and have heard good things about both road and mountain bikes for snow. Am I better off getting a mountain bike or good treads for the Ross?

I've tried all my bikes at one time or another (6). I found the road bikes cut through snow much better but have poor traction. I found the mountain bikes get great traction but cut through the snow poorly. I also tried studded tires on the mountain bike. I ended up using the Redline cross bike with wide tires and a snow tread and it works great. I guess you might want to try using a cross tire in the winter time and see how it works for you. By the way, the Redline is a great all duty bike. Winter, spring, summer or fall, all you have to do is call, and it's up to the task.

Later!

Thanks for the advice, I have 27 1/4 tires on and Zefal Mountain bike fenders- I am leaning towards new tires with tread- with the wide fenders and good tread, I think I will be ok, not much chance of snow building up on me. But a few people I know ride mountian bikes and recomend them - but no one I know commutes daily like I have to, so I need to get around safely and am looking for all the help I can get.
FELTF10 said:
I've tried all my bikes at one time or another (6). I found the road bikes cut through snow much better but have poor traction. I found the mountain bikes get great traction but cut through the snow poorly. I also tried studded tires on the mountain bike. I ended up using the Redline cross bike with wide tires and a snow tread and it works great. I guess you might want to try using a cross tire in the winter time and see how it works for you. By the way, the Redline is a great all duty bike. Winter, spring, summer or fall, all you have to do is call, and it's up to the task.

Later!