Road Owners 2 - The Sequel

Just Zis Guy

Guest
Rather OT I'm afraid, but this caught my eye:

"Mobile speed cameras are to be used at accident hotspots to try to reduce the numbers of people
being killed or injured.

"The first of five vans to be deployed across the city will be in place outside a school in
Greenwich, south-east London, on Wednesday after parents asked for help in getting drivers to
slow down.

"Transport for London (TfL) says the mobile units will be clearly marked and police officers will
wear highly visible clothing.

"The initiative is part of TfL's strategy to reduce the 6,000 people killed or seriously injured on
London's roads each year.

"The parents of children at Deansfield Primary School on Rochester Way wrote to TfL after there were
six accidents and two fatalities in two years on the busy commuter route.

"TfL found that on average drivers were doing 43mph in a 30mph limit."

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/2979576.stm>

Note that the cameras and operators will be very conspicuous. Presumably that means that a driver
doing 43mph past a primary school is only dangerous if he doesn't care about getting caught. An
interesting possibility, but untested as far as I know.

Which comes back to my thoughts on "road owners" - the only programme which has definitely reduced
road accidents is the legislation on drink driving. Drivers comply when there is a real danger of
losing their licence. So it's time to up the stakes: 50% above the speed limit = automatic 6-month
ban; any death or serious injury caused by careless driving = automatic 12 month ban, plus whatever
additional penalties the courts hand down.

And, of course, cut their goolies off ;-)

--
Guy
===

In news:[email protected], Just zis Guy, you know?
<[email protected]> typed:

> Which comes back to my thoughts on "road owners" - the only programme which has definitely reduced
> road accidents is the legislation on drink driving. Drivers comply when there is a real danger of
> losing their licence. So it's time to up the stakes: 50% above the speed limit = automatic 6-month
> ban; any death or serious injury caused by careless driving = automatic 12 month ban, plus
> whatever additional penalties the courts hand down.

AFAIR that is already effectively in place but on a mph basis. The charges and penalties change
dramatically if you are more than 20mph over the speed
limit.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

Just zis Guy, you know? deftly scribbled:

> Rather OT I'm afraid, but this caught my eye:

> "TfL found that on average drivers were doing 43mph in a 30mph limit."

That bit was especially disconcerting ..

> Which comes back to my thoughts on "road owners" - the only programme which has definitely reduced
> road accidents is the legislation on drink driving. Drivers comply when there is a real danger of
> losing their licence. So it's time to up the stakes: 50% above the speed limit = automatic 6-month
> ban; any death or serious injury caused by careless driving = automatic 12 month ban, plus
> whatever additional penalties the courts hand down.

This does happen somewhat using the 'totting up' procedure. there is also an (unwritten I believe)
understanding that speeds about 25% above the limit IIRC will attract higher penalties. The problem
you're highlighting I think is that it's at the discretion of .. whoever ..

> And, of course, cut their goolies off ;-)

Heheheh ..

--
Digweed

Digweed wrote:

> Just zis Guy, you know? deftly scribbled:
>
>> Rather OT I'm afraid, but this caught my eye:
>
>> "TfL found that on average drivers were doing 43mph in a 30mph
>> limit."
>
> That bit was especially disconcerting ..

But not altogether surprising. Larrington Towers is opposite a primary school, but it seems to make
little difference to the local Max Power addicts, the ones with nine million bhp stereos in their
Vauxhall Novas. One day I shall get hold of the automatic machine gun technology that the East
Germans used to use at the border and adapt it to fire paint at their windscreens...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

[email protected] (wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX) writes:

>>One day I shall get hold of the automatic machine gun technology that the East Germans used to use
>>at the border and adapt it to fire paint at their windscreens...
>
> How about an exocet missile launcher for a more permanent solution?

I was going to suggest giving speed guns to the lollipop ladies

like some 1970s children's tv programme)

But I think Helen has a point here. Real armaments would be so much more effective.

-dan

--

http://www.cliki.net/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources

Dave Larrington deftly scribbled:

> Digweed wrote:
>
>> Just zis Guy, you know? deftly scribbled:
>>
>>> Rather OT I'm afraid, but this caught my eye:
>>
>>> "TfL found that on average drivers were doing 43mph in a 30mph
>>> limit."
>>
>> That bit was especially disconcerting ..
>
> But not altogether surprising. Larrington Towers is opposite a primary school, but it seems to
> make little difference to the local Max Power addicts, the ones with nine million bhp stereos in
> their Vauxhall Novas. One day I shall get hold of the automatic machine gun technology that the
> East Germans used to use at the border and adapt it to fire paint at their windscreens...

LOL .. BB pellets .. http://tinyurl.com/e24f

Painball guns .. http://www.wdp-paintball.co.uk/ir3/ir3count.htm

;)

--
Digweed

Stan Cox deftly scribbled:

> "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
> <snip>
>>> ===
>>
>> Now just post this on uk.rec.tosspot and retire to a safe distance....on second thoughts run like
>> hell :)
>>
>> Stan Cox
>>

> Oops dont know where that .rec came from. We all know that being a cager isnt recreational :)

Sorry, but at least two of the vehicles I have are purely recreational .. ;)

--
Digweed

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

>Which comes back to my thoughts on "road owners" - the only programme which has definitely reduced
>road accidents is the legislation on drink driving. Drivers comply when there is a real danger of
>losing their licence. So it's time to up the stakes: 50% above the speed limit = automatic 6-month
>ban; any death or serious injury caused by careless driving = automatic 12 month ban, plus whatever
>additional penalties the courts hand down.

Why should someone who has killed through careless driving ever be allowed back in a car?
--
remove remove to reply

Gonzalez wrote:

> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>
> >Which comes back to my thoughts on "road owners" - the only programme which has definitely
> >reduced road accidents is the legislation on drink driving. Drivers comply when there is a real
> >danger of losing their licence. So it's time to up the stakes: 50% above the speed limit =
> >automatic 6-month ban; any death or serious injury caused by careless driving = automatic 12
> >month ban, plus whatever additional penalties the courts hand down.
>
> Why should someone who has killed through careless driving ever be allowed back in a car?

I can't agree more.

In the latest CTC mag there is a reference to new sentencing guidelines for motorists who kill. Lord
Woolf, the Lord Chief Justice, is quoted as saying: "Drivers must know that, if a person is killed
as a result of their driving dangerously, a custodial sentence will normally be imposed no matter
what the mitigating circumstances".

He has also said that those who kill because they use mobile phones or fall asleep should face terms
of up the ten years.

I realise there is a technical difference between careless and dangerous, though I have difficulties
in understanding the reasons for this in many cases, other than giving the offender the chance of a
lower penalty and the courts an easier time.

John B

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 16:21:22 +0100, Daniel Barlow <[email protected]> wrote:

>I was going to suggest giving speed guns to the lollipop ladies

Dull but worthy answer: school crossing patrols.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> Rather OT I'm afraid, but this caught my eye:
>
> "Mobile speed cameras are to be used at accident hotspots to try to reduce the numbers of people
> being killed or injured.
>
> "The first of five vans to be deployed across the city will be in place outside a school in
> Greenwich, south-east London, on Wednesday after parents asked for help in getting drivers to
> slow down.

Reminds me of a newspaper article that I wish I had kept. Went something along the lines of:

"after months of campaigning by parents, police set up a speed camera outside blahblah primary
school. The first person booked was Mrs XYZ, a mother of three, dropping her children off at the
school, caught travelling in excess of 60km/hr in a 40km/hr zone,. Mrs XYZ was one of the most vocal
of the parents campaigning for the the speed cameras"

Oh well, time to go home now. Off to play in the traffic...

Adrain

Adrian Tritschler mailto:[email protected] Latitude 38°S, Longitude 145°E,
Altitude 50m, Shoe size 44

"wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >One day I shall get hold of the automatic machine gun technology that
the
> >East Germans used to use at the border and adapt it to fire paint at
their
> >windscreens...
>
> How about an exocet missile launcher for a more permanent solution?

The Exocet is really only designed for use over water.

An automatically steered pulse laser would not require such frequent reloading, although the
electricity bill may rise quite steeply.

Now, is there any kind of self-defence armament one can carry _on_the_bike_ (against dogs, dog
owners, men who get out of white vans etc) that is actually legal and effective?

--
Mark South Citizen of the World, Denizen of the Net

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
> bakelite computer* to engage in wholesome plummy voiced discussion.
>
> *or electronik brane, as they were called at that time (by Molesworth, that is)

Do not knoc the simple plesures of the New Elizabeathan Age. Molesworth kno enuff to larff at toda's
degennerate cultuer. Eg:

http://www.alice.dryden.co.uk/ho_for_hoggwarts.htm

Go on read it o you mite its GRATE.

In news:[email protected], Stan Cox
<[email protected]> typed:
> "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
> <snip>
>>> ===
>>
>> Now just post this on uk.rec.tosspot and retire to a safe distance....on second thoughts run like
>> hell :)
>>
>> Stan Cox
>>

> Oops dont know where that .rec came from. We all know that being a cager isnt recreational :)

uk.rec.driving exists, for some reason. Maybe it's a throwback from the newsgroups of the 1950s
where the whole family gathered round the bakelite computer* to engage in wholesome plummy voiced
discussion.

*or electronik brane, as they were called at that time (by Molesworth, that
is)

In news:p[email protected], Henry Braun
<[email protected]> typed:
> On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
>> bakelite computer* to engage in wholesome plummy voiced discussion.
>>
>> *or electronik brane, as they were called at that time (by Molesworth, that is)
>
> Do not knoc the simple plesures of the New Elizabeathan Age. Molesworth kno enuff to larff at
> toda's degennerate cultuer. Eg:
>
> http://www.alice.dryden.co.uk/ho_for_hoggwarts.htm
>
> Go on read it o you mite its GRATE.

Many thanks, I'll waste an hour on that right now.

Henry Braun <[email protected]> wrote:
> Go on read it o you mite its GRATE.

Topp paij cheers cheers cheers. Giv that siklist a suply of burbon Creams.

And right on cue Auntie comes up with an answer:

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2980942.stm>

--
Guy
===