Road owners

> > Started out as an Angry Young Man
>
> And is now an angry middle-aged git ;-)

Given that the Angry Young Men (tm) were a phenomenon of the 50's I think you might mean old git.

"Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> While I can see a brief conversation might give an indication of brain capacity -- how can you be
> so sure of their ***** dimensions

I always thought it was one of those things girls learned in the secret lessons, along with how to
dance round handbags. But maybe that's the crucial intelligence which is passed around in those mass
visits ot the loo?

Mind you, it's a fair bet that most men have willies which are too small -

penis enlargement products?

--
Guy
===

> I always thought it was one of those things girls learned in the secret lessons, along with how to
> dance round handbags.

Now that is a skill I have never mastered. (Dansing, not just dansing round a handbag!!).

> But maybe that's the crucial intelligence which is passed around in those mass visits ot the
loo?

Worrying.

> Mind you, it's a fair bet that most men have willies which are too small -

Given the rate of population increase this seems unlikely.

> penis enlargement products?

I get lots of spam about $ mortgages that are no use to me either :)

> "Not me, someone else" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > > For cyclists, unlike motorists, using the road is not a privilege but a right.
>
> > Wrong.
>
> No, absolutely right.
>
> > I thought anyone, with any form of transport (physical and legal limitations aside, like a train
> > maybe), can use the roads .. Why is it a 'right' for cyclists and not a 'right' for motorists ?
>
> Motor vehicle drivers are allowed on the road solely under licence, which licence is subject to
> age and fitness contraints and may be revoked
subject
> to certain conditions. Cyclists, pedestrians and the like use the roads by right of way.

It's still a privellage for other road users - we can only use the roads because Mrs Windsor is kind
enough to let us (as has be pointed out elsewhere in this thread).

But this is a daft argument of techinicalities anyway. Surely the long and short of it is that
everyone has the right to use a road, provided they do so according to the rules of the road?

On 11 Jun 2003 01:34:06 -0700, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:

>Bob Flemming <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>
>> If, as cyclists, we knew that any revenue we gave to the treasury for the priviledge of using the
>> road would go to the development of cycling in the UK, then I'm pretty sure most people would
>> happily pay something...
>
>For cyclists, unlike motorists, using the road is not a privilege but a right.

oh boy, need to put an irony alert in here somewhere...

also, is it all at the hands of the 'evil cager'....what about lifestyle? some people talk about
doing exercise these days, especially in relation to things like type 2 diabetes, as some kind of
weird religious lifestyle change, instead of it just being a part of a so-called normal life!! tvs,
computers, cars, and **** food....and obesity. it's no longer as fashionable to just be as active as
we once were.....put that with the preponderance of cars....we got yourself one big problem.
...people go to gyms for exercise - sheesh!

bob

"Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> But this is a daft argument of techinicalities anyway. Surely the long and short of it is that
> everyone has the right to use a road, provided they do so according to the rules of the road?

Well that counts almost everybody out then.

"Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> this is a daft argument of techinicalities anyway. Surely the long and short of it is that
> everyone has the right to use a road, provided they do so according to the rules of the road?

The point is a serious one: drivers of motor vehicles, alone amongst road users, must be
appropriately licensed, and may be obliged to prove their entitlement to use their vehicle.
Non-motorised road users are free to use the roads as of right (they are public rights of way).

--
Guy
===

news:<[email protected]>...

> It further occurs to me that since one has to have a registration number in order to obtain a tax
> disc, Her Majesty The Queen cannot be paying VED for her official Roller, and it is, after all,
> Her Highway.

Ah, so when I said motorists don't use the road by right I was overlooking one notable exception.

--
Dave...

"Not me, someone else" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Dave Kahn deftly scribbled:

> > For cyclists, unlike motorists, using the road is not a privilege but a right.

> Why is it a 'right' for cyclists and not a 'right' for motorists ?

Because cyclists don't need a licence.

--
Dave...

Peter Amey deftly scribbled:

> Not me, someone else wrote: [snip]
>>
>> I don't ride defensively _ever_.
>>
>> I take an aggressive stance, or road position, especially when negotiating corners or roundabouts
>> and really try to make my presence felt when on the cycle. It seems to have worked so far .. ;)
>
> A succinct description of "riding defensively"!

Heheheh, as I later qualified .. I hadn't actually read any books on roadcraft, so it may well be
that what I see as aggressive riding is actually defensive in nature. Which is confirmed by a glance
through the school library where I work. No sweat .. ;)

I _did_ see defensive riding as being timid and maybe keeping closer to the kerb, but I stand
corrected .. ;)

--
Digweed

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:51:17 +0100 someone who may be "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]>
wrote this:-

>It further occurs to me that since one has to have a registration number in order to obtain a tax
>disc, Her Majesty The Queen cannot be paying VED for her official Roller, and it is, after all,
>Her Highway.

I assume that VED is not paid on it, just like any other car operated by central government (which
Mrs Queen is an employee of, though she does supplement the wages with her own income). These cars
all have registration numbers.

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 09:41:26 +0100 someone who may be "Ambrose Nankivell"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Given that, IIRC front seat occupants are those most likely to be killed in (and responsible for)
>collisions, anything that makes a dramatic change to their survival chances will result in a fall
>in total deaths, even it causes them to kill people outside cars at a significantly greater rate
>than before.

Deciding to kill some people in order to save others is fraught with moral difficulties. This
is especially true when the ones being killed tend to be children or poorer than the ones doing
the killing.

>Anyway, as it is received wisdom that the seat belt law had no downside,

It is, but that is not a reason for avoiding confronting the "wisdom" with truth.

On 11 Jun 2003 08:13:49 GMT someone who may be "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote this:-

>I've had the latter complaint "I'll start listening when you ******** pay road tax" etc shouted at
>me many times.

It has been uttered in public meetings which I have attended. The usual line is about why the
Council is "wasting" money on cyclists "who pay nothing for the roads" when it is "attacking"
motorists. These utterances didn't seem to be in jest.

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:32:17 +0100 someone who may be "Not me, someone else"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>I've always worn a helmet, but then that's maybe my motocross / road racing and car racing heritage
>kicking in ..

I would be prepared to believe this, if you also wear a helmet when driving a car.

David Hansen deftly scribbled:

> On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:32:17 +0100 someone who may be "Not me, someone else"
> <[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
>> I've always worn a helmet, but then that's maybe my motocross / road racing and car racing
>> heritage kicking in ..
>
> I would be prepared to believe this, if you also wear a helmet when driving a car.

Nope .. except when on a track .. ;)

Trouble is, a normal road car has some degree of padding twixt head and metal, and a seat belt to
stop you're head going too far and bashing something hard, unless it's a *really* bad crash.

Hence my choice. Thank god we still have one .. ;)

--
Digweed

Not me, someone else deftly scribbled:

> Trouble is, a normal road car has some degree of padding twixt head and metal, and a seat belt to
> stop you're head going too far and

Sorry, your .....................................^^^^^^

--
Digweed

"Not me, someone else" wrote:

> David Hansen deftly scribbled:
>
> > On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:32:17 +0100 someone who may be "Not me, someone else"
> > <[email protected]> wrote this:-
> >
> >> I've always worn a helmet, but then that's maybe my motocross / road racing and car racing
> >> heritage kicking in ..
> >
> > I would be prepared to believe this, if you also wear a helmet when driving a car.
>
> Nope .. except when on a track .. ;)
>
> Trouble is, a normal road car has some degree of padding twixt head and metal, and a seat belt to
> stop you're head going too far and bashing something hard, unless it's a *really* bad crash.

I understand that more motorists die of head injuries than cyclists and even more pertinent, the
proportion of incidents involving head injuries is also higher amongst motorists. Seems that the
protection afforded by that "degree of padding" is maybe not very great, in fact perhaps less than a
kiddies bike helmet.

> Hence my choice. Thank god we still have one .. ;)

Too true, and long may it remain so.

John B

Andy Dingley wrote:
> Green Audi, Coronation Rd. Bristol (just after hitting me with their door mirror) "You should be
> on the cycle path, not the road"
>
> The cycle path is on the other side of the road, and is a one-way going opposite. It's also the
> infamous Bristol path where it's marked to go right through the centre of some long-established,
> wide and unmarked trees.

I've got a picture of that path on my farcilities page (
http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/cycling/farcilities.html ).

It's this one: http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/cycling/farce/corrd.jpg

Thomas Paine

John B deftly scribbled:

> "Not me, someone else" wrote:
>
>> David Hansen deftly scribbled:

>>> I would be prepared to believe this, if you also wear a helmet when driving a car.
>>
>> Nope .. except when on a track .. ;)
>>
>> Trouble is, a normal road car has some degree of padding twixt head and metal, and a seat belt to
>> stop you're head going too far and bashing something hard, unless it's a *really* bad crash.
>>

> I understand that more motorists die of head injuries than cyclists and even more pertinent, the
> proportion of incidents involving head injuries is also higher amongst motorists. Seems that the
> protection afforded by that "degree of padding" is maybe not very great, in fact perhaps less than
> a kiddies bike helmet.

Dunno about that, but perception is a powerful belief system .. ;)

--
Digweed

In message id <[email protected]> on Wed, 11 Jun 2003 13:10:58 +0100, Tony W
wrote in uk.rec.cycling :

>"wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Sadly, there's too many of the male of the species, with an amoeba for a
>brain
>> and tiny penises, who hang on to every word w*nker Clarkson utters and
>think
>> it's to be taken seriously. They then go out and drive their penis
>extensions
>> in the way Clarkson describes.
>

>There is, of course, the bumper sticker that states that 'women like the simple things in life.
>
>Men'
>

>While I can see a brief conversation might give an indication of brain capacity -- how can you be
>so sure of their ***** dimensions -- oh PSF?? Is this another of your powers? Or have you checked
>them all individually? With a magnifying glass?
>
>If so, how did you withstand the boredom of the intellectual exchange?

Maybe Vernon is above average in that department and by definition, ALL other men do have
small ones.

--
I don't do arguments, read the reply properly to get the context. Kind regards. If you want to take
it to email remove THE SPAM BLOKA