Road paint and traction

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 21:55:27 -0000, [email protected] wrote:

>Anyone ever lowside it as a consequence of riding over road paint
>while turning?

I haven't, but know and (I think) have seen people do it when the
roadpaint was wet.

--
JT
****************************

On Jul 10, 2:55 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Anyone ever lowside it as a consequence of riding over road paint
> while turning?

I've experienced some exciting loss of traction, but I haven't gone
down.

I race criteriums and in the wet we have had a number of crashes in
corners with pedestrian crossings and other thick-paint anomolies.

Michael

[email protected] wrote:
> Anyone ever lowside it as a consequence of riding over road paint
> while turning?

Only in the wet. I was once pedalling round a corner in a big group,
not especially fast, and the rear wheel suddenly went a foot sideways on
double yellow lines; scared the hell out of me, but fortunately didn't
result in an off. I avoid all road paint in the wet now.

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 21:16:04 +0100, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]>
wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> Anyone ever lowside it as a consequence of riding over road paint
>> while turning?
>>

>Only in the wet. I was once pedalling round a corner in a big group,
>not especially fast, and the rear wheel suddenly went a foot sideways on
>double yellow lines; scared the hell out of me, but fortunately didn't
>result in an off. I avoid all road paint in the wet now.

I ride along the paint a lot on the straight, wet or dry, smoother and more
efficient feeling than the road surface. I do stay off it in the corners, it can
be treacherous stuff.

Ron

> Anyone ever lowside it as a consequence of riding over road paint
> while turning?

I've never crashed but I've had the tires slip on paint lines. Several
times in wet races and once on dry road. If you watch the video of the
1993 world road champs in Oslo, you'll see lots of crashes that occur as
the riders get onto the paint.

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> Anyone ever lowside it as a consequence of riding over road paint
>> while turning?
>>

> Only in the wet. I was once pedalling round a corner in a big group,
> not especially fast, and the rear wheel suddenly went a foot sideways on
> double yellow lines; scared the hell out of me, but fortunately didn't
> result in an off. I avoid all road paint in the wet now.

It's actually part of standard motorcycle riding lessons (at least here
it is) to avoid road paint when possible. It is slippery, specially when
wet.

RonSonic wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 21:16:04 +0100, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> Anyone ever lowside it as a consequence of riding over road paint
>>> while turning?
>>>

>> Only in the wet. I was once pedalling round a corner in a big group,
>> not especially fast, and the rear wheel suddenly went a foot sideways on
>> double yellow lines; scared the hell out of me, but fortunately didn't
>> result in an off. I avoid all road paint in the wet now.

> I ride along the paint a lot on the straight, wet or dry, smoother and more
> efficient feeling than the road surface. I do stay off it in the corners, it can
> be treacherous stuff.
>
> Ron

The only time I do that is when I'm riding with a lot of standing water,
it's the only time you can see an underwater pothole, especially at night.