Road paint

Stephen Niece

Guest
OK, so I'm getting all psyched up for the World Road Championships this week, being that I'm a
cyclist, and live in Hamilton. I've been searching high and low for paint to put stuff on the roads
with. What is it that's normally used? I don't want to get stuff that's not going to wash off (at
least eventually) and get the city PO'd at me. All that the art stores have suggested is Tempra
paint, but it strikes me that this may still last quite a while.

Steve

On 10/6/03 11:40 AM, in article [email protected], "Stephen Niece"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> OK, so I'm getting all psyched up for the World Road Championships this week, being that I'm a
> cyclist, and live in Hamilton. I've been searching high and low for paint to put stuff on the
> roads with. What is it that's normally used? I don't want to get stuff that's not going to wash
> off (at least eventually) and get the city PO'd at me. All that the art stores have suggested is
> Tempra paint, but it strikes me that this may still last quite a while.
>
> Steve

Ask the local taggers...

Clyde

Water-based tempera paints of the kind regularly used in elementary schools shouldn't last long and
are going to be your best bet. Avoid acrylic paint (water based made w. synthetic glue) and anything
oil or alkyd based. There are food-grade paints, but those are difficult to find in bulk. If rain is
no concern at all, look for kid's bathtub paints (rinse away when wet).

--

Stephen Niece wrote:

> OK, so I'm getting all psyched up for the World Road Championships this week, being that I'm a
> cyclist, and live in Hamilton. I've been searching high and low for paint to put stuff on the
> roads with. What is it that's normally used? I don't want to get stuff that's not going to wash
> off (at least eventually) and get the city PO'd at me. All that the art stores have suggested is
> Tempra paint, but it strikes me that this may still last quite a while.
>
> Steve

Might I suggest just doing a nice banner?

If you really must, maybe some white-wash, which IIRC, is simply watered down plaster.

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 14:40:46 -0400, Stephen Niece <[email protected]> wrote:

>OK, so I'm getting all psyched up for the World Road Championships this week, being that I'm a
>cyclist, and live in Hamilton. I've been searching high and low for paint to put stuff on the roads
>with. What is it that's normally used? I don't want to get stuff that's not going to wash off (at
>least eventually) and get the city PO'd at me. All that the art stores have suggested is Tempra
>paint, but it strikes me that this may still last quite a while.
>
>Steve

Might I suggest colored chalks? I've seen it used on road races before, and traffic, not to mention
rain, quickly removes it.

Originally posted by Stephen Niece
OK, so I'm getting all psyched up for the World Road Championships this week, being that I'm a
cyclist, and live in Hamilton. I've been searching high and low for paint to put stuff on the roads
with. What is it that's normally used? I don't want to get stuff that's not going to wash off (at
least eventually) and get the city PO'd at me. All that the art stores have suggested is Tempra
paint, but it strikes me that this may still last quite a while.

Steve

go to the hardware store or a surveyors supply company and buy marking paint (the kind used to mark buried utilities). works in an inverted position. comes in red, green, orange, white, blue, yellow, and a couple flourescent ones also. get the water or chalk based stuff will wear off with normal road use. won't bore you with what the colors mean although you can probably figure out blue.

Originally posted by Stephen Niece
OK, so I'm getting all psyched up for the World Road Championships this week, being that I'm a
cyclist, and live in Hamilton. I've been searching high and low for paint to put stuff on the roads
with. What is it that's normally used? I don't want to get stuff that's not going to wash off (at
least eventually) and get the city PO'd at me. All that the art stores have suggested is Tempra
paint, but it strikes me that this may still last quite a while.

Steve

go to the hardware store or a surveyors supply company and buy marking paint (the kind used to mark buried utilities - all the utility companies use this to mark their lines before anyone excavates). works in an inverted position. comes in red, green, orange, white, blue, yellow, and a couple flourescent ones also. get the water or chalk based stuff. it wears off with normal road use and weather. won't bore you with what the colors mean although you can probably figure out blue.

> OK, so I'm getting all psyched up for the World Road Championships this week, being that I'm a
> cyclist, and live in Hamilton. I've been searching high and low for paint to put stuff on the
> roads with. What is it that's normally used? I don't want to get stuff that's not going to wash
> off (at least eventually) and get the city PO'd at me. All that the art stores have suggested is
> Tempra paint, but it strikes me that this may still last quite a while.

The Tempra paints aren't a bad way to go, but the real pros? It's done with latex housepaint and
rollers. Really. How else do you get those HUGE words that can be seen from a helicopter?

If you go to this page on our website- www.ChainReaction.com/francetrip.htm- and scroll down towards
the bottom, you'll see a bunch of handiwork from the 2000 Tour de France. Unfortunately, we were
complete & total amateurs, having absolutely no idea of what we were doing... we used standard spray
paint, and tons of it. Got some nice colors, but you can't "go big" that way.

I visited Ventoux again in 2002, and the paint was still there. A bit faded, but there. Even the
part where I wrote a note to Lance from my kids. I wouldn't recommend defacing the roads of Hamilton
in this fashion though! The French are kinda used to it and wouldn't think of trying to clean it off
the roads; it's a tourist attraction if nothing else.

tempra, or gouache (but that can be expensive). tempra is definately the cherapest option, and
should do the job - although if it's raining it will bleed away quickly.