Road Pedal advice.

jitteringjr

Sep 2, 2003
I'm currently riding Shimano spd m-515's (i think) and I am getting hot spots at the cleat when I attack longs hills at longer sprints and it is bugging me.

I'm thinking about upgrading to road pedals and would like to spend about $100

I have been looking at Look, Speedplay X-3's, and Ritchey pro V-3's (spd-r).

Keeping in mind that I have had petalla cartilidge problems and am looking for a knee friendly pedal, what do you recommend?

A lot of people really like the Speedplays because of the amount of float you get with them and this really helps with knee problems, so I would definitely consider those. I just bought the new Shimano Dura Ace 7750's and I love them! They make a cheaper version in the Ultegra line that is almost the exact same pedal only a little heavier and the spindle is a little longer. Those run about $125 or so.

Teski

Originally posted by jitteringjr
I'm currently riding Shimano spd m-515's (i think) and I am getting hot spots at the cleat when I attack longs hills at longer sprints and it is bugging me.

I'm thinking about upgrading to road pedals and would like to spend about $100

I have been looking at Look, Speedplay X-3's, and Ritchey pro V-3's (spd-r).

Keeping in mind that I have had petalla cartilidge problems and am looking for a knee friendly pedal, what do you recommend?

I had that problem too....it wasnt the pedals...get some gel inserts for your shoes, Start gellen like a felon and your hot spot should be gone.

I am going to get better fitting shoes, and I think that will help with the hot spots, but I’m still worried about my knee.

Anyone else out there with knee problems, especially patella problems? What do you use/recommend

I've historically had knee problems...Tons of tendinitis and such...I'm using the Shimano Dura Ace 7750 pedals and the Sidi Genius 4 shoes. Been on my road bike for 3 weeks now and no problems.

Teski

do the DA and Ultegra (spd-sl?) have weights since they are single sided so you don't have to flip them over all the time?

Yup....They fall to 12 and 6 every time with the front of the pedal at the 12 position, so a little flip of the toe and you're there. Very easy to adjust to IMO. I've been riding double-sided MTB pedals for 12 years and it took me two tries to get used to the Shimanos.

Teski

I have very little cartlage at all in my right knee. It was removed when I was eighteen. I'm 39 now and have little trouble riding. My patella was completely scraped out in surgery. Biking is one of the few exersises I can do regularly. I have been using Time pedals for years. At the time I got them they were the only pedals that allowed movement (and Lemond was winning the tour). Worked great for me and they have a big pedal area to boot. As long as you don't lock your foot into one position you should be fine with most pedals.