Road Pedal Recommendations Please

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bernie Brown, May 6, 2003.

  1. Bernie Brown

    Bernie Brown Guest

    I just purchased my first road bike (Specialized Allez A1) in years. I have been riding mountain
    bikes exclusively and figured I would like to add a road bike to allow for longer pavement runs,
    more speed and a different flavor of cycling. Wow - big difference in ride, I feel every little
    ridge in the streets throughout my entire body. I'm used to front suspension with fat tires that
    soak up pretty much everything (rocks, potholes, sticks, etc). I am adjusting and having a great
    time learning the roadie world. I am interested in getting pedals for this bike and not sure what to
    go with. I have Eggbeaters on my mountain bike but not sure if these are right for the road -
    worried about small platform, hotspots, etc. I hear lots of good stuff about Speedplays and Shimano
    and was wondering what people here prefer. I love my mountain bike for its intended purposes and the
    same with my Allez and want to get the most out of each type of ride. Help a newbie please!

    Tags:

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Bernie Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just purchased my first road bike (Specialized Allez A1) in years. I
    have
    > been riding mountain bikes exclusively and figured I would like to add a road bike to allow for
    > longer pavement runs, more speed and a different flavor of cycling. Wow - big difference in ride,
    > I feel every little ridge in the streets throughout my entire body. I'm used to front suspension
    with
    > fat tires that soak up pretty much everything (rocks, potholes, sticks, etc). I am adjusting and
    > having a great time learning the roadie world. I
    am
    > interested in getting pedals for this bike and not sure what to go with. I have Eggbeaters on my
    > mountain bike but not sure if these are right for
    the
    > road - worried about small platform, hotspots, etc. I hear lots of good stuff about Speedplays and
    > Shimano and was wondering what people here prefer. I love my mountain bike for its intended
    > purposes and the same
    with
    > my Allez and want to get the most out of each type of ride. Help a newbie please!

    For starters, stick with the Eggbeaters. I know you're going to get crap from your riding buddies,
    but hey, you've already got them, right? Once you decided that the road thing isn't a fad, then go
    get some road pedals/shoes.

    The plusses for the Eggbeaters: you already own them, they're 4-sided, if you have to walk you can,
    and they're lightweight. The minuses: you look like a fred riding road in mtn stuff, and the shoes
    are a little heavier.

    After that, you get into personal preferences. Some guys swear by their Time pedals, some by
    Speedplay, etc ad infinitum. I'm riding SPD-R right now, and looking to upgrade to the "Lance"
    pedals. I've owned Look style pedals, Speedplays, and now SPD-Rs. All of them are good systems, but
    you'll have to try them and see for yourself if they're for you.

    The hotspots shouldn't bother you if the shoes you're riding are stiff enough.

    I know I didn't offer specific advice, I'll leave that to more august personages here.

    Mike