road pedals / spd cleats

Gary

Guest
I just bought a new road bike, and I want to get new pedals. Currently I
have 2 pairs of bike shoes with SPD cleats, so I want to buy a good set of
SPD pedals for my new bike. I've seen a few single-sided SPD pedals, but I
don't know what to get. Any recommendations?

On May 7, 9:03 pm, "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I just bought a new road bike, and I want to get new pedals. Currently I
> have 2 pairs of bike shoes with SPD cleats, so I want to buy a good set of
> SPD pedals for my new bike. I've seen a few single-sided SPD pedals, but I
> don't know what to get. Any recommendations?

Single sided spuds? Why? Just get the same double sided spuds you like
on your other bikes and thumb your nose at the roadies. I like the
classic Shimano, Ritchey, and Wellgo stuff that runs 50USD and under.

That said, if you're gonna compromise on a road bike, get road shoes
and some Look style pedals. Grab an online sale, and you can both can
be yours for a hundred to try out. The stiffness and feel difference
from spd is pretty amazing, though I don't know if it's really more
efficient. Feels pretty cool, though. That's if you've got a spare
hundred bucks, if not--go for classic spuds and ignore the hype.

On May 8, 4:03 am, "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I just bought a new road bike, and I want to get new pedals. Currently I
> have 2 pairs of bike shoes with SPD cleats, so I want to buy a good set of
> SPD pedals for my new bike. I've seen a few single-sided SPD pedals, but I
> don't know what to get. Any recommendations?

Single sided SPD are more difficult to get into. You have to get them
right-side up as you click in. This is harder to do with small single
sided SPD than with larger SPD-SL (road) single-sided. Double sided is
just stomp-and-go.

I like the Shimano M-540. The cheaper 520 is ok, but it has a bulkier
spindle which interfered with some shoes I've tried.

Joseph

On May 7, 7:03 pm, "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I just bought a new road bike, and I want to get new pedals. Currently I
> have 2 pairs of bike shoes with SPD cleats, so I want to buy a good set of
> SPD pedals for my new bike. I've seen a few single-sided SPD pedals, but I
> don't know what to get. Any recommendations?

I have Ritchey Comp V.4s on my touring bike and on my old road bike.
When I built up my new stupid-light road bike, I went with the double-
sided Ritchey Pro V.4s. I could keep all the same shoes, and could get
clipped in very easily. And the Pros + SPD-compatible cleats weigh
less than most 3-bolt pedal+cleat combos.

In article <[email protected]>, Gary
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I just bought a new road bike, and I want to get new pedals. Currently I
> have 2 pairs of bike shoes with SPD cleats, so I want to buy a good set of
> SPD pedals for my new bike. I've seen a few single-sided SPD pedals, but I
> don't know what to get. Any recommendations?

Been using Wellgo WPD-95B Half/Half Pedals for years. Reliable, cheap,
and convenient; perfect for the all-rounder bike.

http://tinyurl.com/5e26jq

On May 9, 12:57 pm, Luke <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Gary
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I just bought a new road bike, and I want to get new pedals. Currently I
> > have 2 pairs of bike shoes with SPD cleats, so I want to buy a good set of
> > SPD pedals for my new bike. I've seen a few single-sided SPD pedals, but I
> > don't know what to get. Any recommendations?

I have Crankbrothers Candies. They are the only clipless I've used
but I love them. No adjustments needed, easy to get in and out, I can
use them minimally with sneakers.

Ted

On May 8, 9:11 am, "[email protected]"
> Single sided SPD are more difficult to get into. You have to get them
> right-side up as you click in. This is harder to do with small single
> sided SPD than with larger SPD-SL (road) single-sided. Double sided is
> just stomp-and-go.

I see this written a lot. I often wonder if this is just an
assumption or based on actual experience. Because....

As a contrary opinion - based on over 10 years riding both single
sided and double sided SPD pedals, I have found that I'm quicker
getting clipped into my single sided shimano spd pedals. I merely
flip the pedal with my toe and clip right in. Could be muscle memory
because of doing it so often, but it just is quick and automatic with
very few misses.

I can't imagine why it would be any more difficult than other single
sided road pedals.

Interestingly, while theoretically double sided pedals should be
"stomp and go" (thus eliminating the "flip"), I far more often find my
self stomping in the wrong spot on my shoe and finding it is actually
no easier getting into double sided pedals.

I'm a big fan of single sided pedals. why? I don't know, probably
some poseur points because they "look" more roady. But like I said,
they are dead easy for me to use.