road pedals - spindle height, Time vs. ?

Judibob

Guest
I have been a Time pedal user since they came out. The large contact surface, and small spindle to
foot distance (used with Time or equivalent shoes of course) make for the most efficient setup
around. They allow me to use a cm smaller frame size as well. I have a number of questions I have
yet to answer, all prompted by the demise of the classic Time pedal ----

1 - on the new Time Impact pedals - has anyone used them? how are they? I see the new cleat, and it
has some thickness above the spindle, so wouldn't that add to the now lower spindle distance offered
by this design?

2 - how about these new Shimano SPD-SL pedals? I'm not familiar with the cleat design, but if
similar to the old Time setup, they look quite nice. Do these cleats add a bunch of space between
the foot & spindle? I do not like the Look system at all - adding that hugely thick cleat above the
pedal platform makes me feel like I have a 2-by-4 under my foot. If this Shimano is like that, I
won't go that route.

3 - I am intrigued by the new Northwave Genetix shoes. They advertise a very thin sole, but are not
compatible with the old Time pedals. Has anyone tried these with the Impacts? or, with the SPD-SL's?
As I said above, it would seem that by adding the new Impact cleat to the Genetix, you would be
adding more sole thickness back in. Any thoughts on that? The Northwaves do fit my feet quite well.

The combination I am intrigued with at the moment is the Genetix plus the older Time pedals. It
would seem that by adding these 2 together one could get a very small distance between the foot and
pedal spindle. Before I spend time trying to design & fab a one-off cleat to mate these 2, I thought
I would seek some opinions from people out there.

I have been using the classic Time pedals, with either Time shoes, or Carnacs, on everything. Now
I'm faced with either changing all my bikes/shoes over or stocking up on older stuff. Thanks for any
opinions, info, etc. I'm especially interested in any updated study done on the foot to spindle
distances of varying pedal / shoe systems, as Zinn (I think) did in Velonews a few years ago. Thanks
again, Bob

judibob-<< 1 - on the new Time Impact pedals - has anyone used them? how are they?

Very similar to the old Time pedals with a way to bolt the cleats to LOOK shoe bottoms-

<< 2 - how about these new Shimano SPD-SL pedals? I'm not familiar with the cleat design, but if
similar to the old Time setup,

Similar to LOOK, not Time. really just a redesigned LOOK pedal...

<< 3 - I am intrigued by the new Northwave Genetix shoes. They advertise a very thin sole, but are
not compatible with the old Time pedals.

Compatible to new TIME or SPD-SL or any LOOK type pedal, Like Campagnolo.

<< The combination I am intrigued with at the moment is the Genetix plus the older Time pedals.

Can't do this w/o a three hole adapter, then the TIME cleat.

"judibob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> The combination I am intrigued with at the moment is the Genetix plus the older Time pedals. It
> would seem that by adding these 2 together one could get a very small distance between the foot
> and pedal spindle. Before I spend time trying to design & fab a one-off cleat to mate these 2, I
> thought I would seek some opinions from people out there.

The thing is using old pattern Times with 3-hole shoes requires a thick plastic adaptor.

If you don't mind cobbling things together you can use the thinner magnesium plate meant for Sidi
Millenium soles as an adaptor. You might have to do some minor surgery on the plate or the sole to
get everything to sit flush, but it should work. In fact you can even drill more holes in the plate
to get the cleats where you want them to be.

-Amit

Amit <[email protected]> wrote:

> The thing is using old pattern Times with 3-hole shoes requires a thick plastic adaptor.

> If you don't mind cobbling things together you can use the thinner magnesium plate meant for Sidi
> Millenium soles as an adaptor. You might have to do some minor surgery on the plate or the sole to
> get everything to sit flush, but it should work. In fact you can even drill more holes in the
> plate to get the cleats where you want them to be.

My LBS came up with a Sidi part that screwed to a 3-bolt sole, with the proper curvature, and
accepted Time cleats. It has 3 elongated holes so you can adjust the forward/back position. It was
plastic, not magnesium, not expensive, and adds only 3mm of stack height. You may need to find
slightly shorter screws for the Time cleats so they don't bottom out on the sole. I don't know this
part's name - go to a Sidi dealer and ask around.

> You may need to find slightly shorter screws for the Time cleats so they don't bottom out on
> the sole.

The screws are 4mm metric, zinc coated with a flat head. The orginal screws are slotted. I replaced
mine, too long, with a phillips head.

I moved from old style Time pedals with old style Time shoes to the new Time Impact pedals. I had to
shorten the screws so they wouldn't stick into the foot cavity.

-Michael Cerda