Road racing bike with 24" wheels???

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by bstay, Aug 16, 2003.

1. bstay

bstay New Member

When I was little it was possible to buy a racing bike with drop bars for small children. Nowadays it's only mountain bikes that come in small sizes. I don't get it. I have gone to every manufacturers website that I can think of and looked for a bike. Not long ago I found a 24" Orbea somewhere in the UK, but when I went to Orbea's website they have no record of selling small frames. Can anybody tell me where I can get a good bike for a small person?

Tags:

2. Topmounter

Topmounter New Member

You should probably be looking for frames with 650c wheels.

Check out Terry or Kestrel to get started.

3. bstay

bstay New Member

Thanx but I'm not sure it's the right thing. Isn't 650c quite a bit bigger than 24 inch wheels? 650c is usually used for womens bikes (like Terry et.al.) or extremely small people. Please correct me if I'm wrong. The bike is for my son who's only 9.5 yrs old.
    If you're absolutely right, I'll start looking for 650c of which there are plenty.

4. maarten

maarten New Member

http://www.empella.com/index1.html

It's not on the site but I am sure they have em as several of my kids ride on which they bought between 2 years and 4 months ago.

[email protected] E- mail addres of this company, sites in dutch but they'll speak english

I'll be honest they also sponser the team I work/hobby for but thats not why I mention them

5. Topmounter

Topmounter New Member

I didn't realize you really meant "small children", as in smaller than small women small.

Here is a link to a site listing the Orbea for sale in the UK:

http://www.cyclesense.co.uk/products.php?show=367

I can't say I have ever seen a production road bike, drop bars and all, that small before from any other manufacturer.

6. SuperDaveK

SuperDaveK New Member

7. Duckwah

Duckwah New Member