Road Racing in the UK - Please Explain

dannyfrankszzz

New Member
Mar 8, 2003
I'm thinking of entering the following race:

SUNDAY 7 NOVEMBER
S.East Surrey League Ottershaw Series 3 - Ottershaw
E.1.2.3 100km 11:00 £10.00 [£15.00]

Can someone please explain what the E.1.2.3 means?

Thx.

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 06:06:26 +1000, dannyfrankszzz
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm thinking of entering the following race:
>
>SUNDAY 7 NOVEMBER
>S.East Surrey League Ottershaw Series 3 - Ottershaw
>E.1.2.3 100km 11:00 £10.00 [£15.00]
>
>Can someone please explain what the E.1.2.3 means?

Categories the race is open to. E= Elite (seriously fast), 1,2 & 3
(still seriously fast, on a descending scale).

Not sure what the entry conditions are for Surrey League races. You
may well need a race licence, or whatever they're called.

Tim

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm thinking of entering the following race:
>
>SUNDAY 7 NOVEMBER
>S.East Surrey League Ottershaw Series 3 - Ottershaw
>E.1.2.3 100km 11:00 £10.00 [£15.00]
>
>Can someone please explain what the E.1.2.3 means?

Those are the categories of rider the race is open to: elites, 1st
cat, 2nd cat and 3rd cat. If you have to ask what the categories mean
they won't include you. If you're starting out you would race as a 4th
cat. Often the 4th cats are mixed with women, veterans and juniors.
You get promoted to the next category by acquiring points which you
earn by placing highly in races.

You need to join British Cycling to get your racing licence for Surrey
League events. Alternatively you can buy a day licence but this is an
(even more) expensive way to do it. There are other bodies running
cycle races: TLI and (if you're old enough) LVRC.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

Dave Kahn wrote:
> You need to join British Cycling to get your racing licence for Surrey
> League events. Alternatively you can buy a day licence but this is an
> (even more) expensive way to do it.

And it's worth bearing in mind that the license runs from 1st Jan to
31st Dec regardless of when you buy it, so don't bother buying a license
now unless you are really desperate to race in the last two months of
this year.

d.

dannyfrankszzz <[email protected]> wrote:

: I'm thinking of entering the following race:

: SUNDAY 7 NOVEMBER
: S.East Surrey League Ottershaw Series 3 - Ottershaw
: E.1.2.3 100km 11:00 £10.00 [£15.00]

You won't be able to ride this race.

It goes like this

Elite: pros, country level riders
1 : county level riders
2/3 : progressily slower
4 : entry level.

4th cat is where you start. 4ths cats aren't allowed to ride in Elite races.

What you want to look for is a race that says "3/4" (third + fourth cats),
"3/4/V" (+vets) or "3/4/J/W" (+women + juniors, you get the idea).

You can ride on a day license (which is what I suggest you do at this
time of year). Ring up the organiser in advance and have a chat so that
he knows to expect someone wanting a day license and you know what you
have to do.

Arthur

"Blogs are neither necessary nor sufficient for evil to triumph.
They're just what we call an enabling technology" - Danny O'Brien

Arthur Clune wrote:

> It goes like this
>
> Elite: pros, country level riders
> 1 : county level riders
> 2/3 : progressily slower
> 4 : entry level.

Nah...

> Elite: would ride the TdF but haven't got a team
> 1 : a few legendary riders who hang around in special sponsored clubs
> 2/3 : the fastest guys in your club
> 4 : faster than The Rest Of Us!

;-)

Arthur Clune wrote:

> dannyfrankszzz <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : I'm thinking of entering the following race:
>
> : SUNDAY 7 NOVEMBER
> : S.East Surrey League Ottershaw Series 3 - Ottershaw
> : E.1.2.3 100km 11:00 £10.00 [£15.00]
>
> You won't be able to ride this race.
>
> It goes like this
>
> Elite: pros, country level riders
> 1 : county level riders
> 2/3 : progressily slower
> 4 : entry level.
>
> 4th cat is where you start. 4ths cats aren't allowed to ride in Elite races.
>
> What you want to look for is a race that says "3/4" (third + fourth cats),
> "3/4/V" (+vets) or "3/4/J/W" (+women + juniors, you get the idea).
>
> You can ride on a day license (which is what I suggest you do at this
> time of year). Ring up the organiser in advance and have a chat so that
> he knows to expect someone wanting a day license and you know what you
> have to do.
>
> Arthur

As Arthur says, Also 100km would be a long race to start with, 4th cat
races are often shorter. The Surrey League is the place to look tho.
Well organised events & lots of them.

Stan (Progressively Slower) Cox :)

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 11:07:24 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Nah...
>
> > Elite: would ride the TdF but haven't got a team
> > 1 : a few legendary riders who hang around in special sponsored clubs
> > 2/3 : the fastest guys in your club

Nah again. The fastest guys in my club are elites, and yes that means
seriously fast.