"road/racing type" shoes for MTB clip-less pedals?

Yuri Budilov

Guest
Hello Everyone

I have Shimano M540 MTB clipless pedals on my road/racing bicycle and I am
quite happy with my pedals. I ride on the road only, obviously.

I have MTB shoes (Shimano SH-MO38) that are quite heavy, lace-up and I am
not too happy with them.

I am looking for a shoe that works with my existing Shimano M540 clip-less
pedals but otherwise is much closer to a road-racing type of shoe than it is
to MTB off-road shoe. Perhaps a touring shoe, I do not know.

Any recommendations please? Brands, models, types, etc

Thanks

"Yuri Budilov" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hello Everyone
>
> I have Shimano M540 MTB clipless pedals on my road/racing bicycle and
> I am quite happy with my pedals. I ride on the road only, obviously.
>
> I have MTB shoes (Shimano SH-MO38) that are quite heavy, lace-up and
> I am not too happy with them.
>
> I am looking for a shoe that works with my existing Shimano M540
> clip-less pedals but otherwise is much closer to a road-racing type
> of shoe than it is to MTB off-road shoe. Perhaps a touring shoe, I do
> not know.
>
> Any recommendations please? Brands, models, types, etc

What's wrong with the M072 or M120 type of shoe?

--

A: Top-posters.

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 09:29:48 GMT, "Yuri Budilov"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hello Everyone
>
>I have Shimano M540 MTB clipless pedals on my road/racing bicycle and I am
>quite happy with my pedals. I ride on the road only, obviously.
>
>I have MTB shoes (Shimano SH-MO38) that are quite heavy, lace-up and I am
>not too happy with them.
>
>I am looking for a shoe that works with my existing Shimano M540 clip-less
>pedals but otherwise is much closer to a road-racing type of shoe than it is
>to MTB off-road shoe. Perhaps a touring shoe, I do not know.
>
>Any recommendations please? Brands, models, types, etc
>
>Thanks

Hi, check out the various models of Sidi. I went from a pair of Pearl
Izumi Vortex road shoes, to Sidi Genius 4 road shoes and the
improvement in comfort was worth the price. Thery offer one of the
best selections of size, half sizes, mega, and narrow. So you can get
a really good fit. They make mtb versions of the Genuis, called the
Dominator. See link -
http://www.sidiusa.com/mtbs/images/mtbs-big/2005_dominator5lor_blackbla.jpg

Sidi website - http://www.sidiusa.com/index.html

Life is Good!
Jeff

"Yuri Budilov" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I am looking for a shoe that works with my existing Shimano M540 clip-less
> pedals but otherwise is much closer to a road-racing type of shoe than it is
> to MTB off-road shoe. Perhaps a touring shoe, I do not know.

I have only good things to say about my Shimano T092 touring shoes.
They're nice and stiff, but they have a good rubber sole that makes
walking easy. I have logged about 25,000 miles and 2 million
vertical feet on them over two years. When the sole wore down enough
to expose the cleat, I just added some Shoe Goo to the sole and kept
riding.

One shoe with cleat weighs 425 gm, so they're not what I would call
super light. If you're a weight weenie, you might want to look
elsewhere.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/penncyclebuy/shimt0sporto.html

If you want to indulge your weight weenie tendencies (I do often),
then maybe the Nike Poggio with SPD adapter is your choice: 280 gm
with SPD adapter (without cleat).

Terry Morse writes:

>> I am looking for a shoe that works with my existing Shimano M540
>> clip-less pedals but otherwise is much closer to a road-racing type
>> of shoe than it is to MTB off-road shoe. Perhaps a touring shoe, I
>> do not know.

> I have only good things to say about my Shimano T092 touring shoes.
> They're nice and stiff, but they have a good rubber sole that makes
> walking easy. I have logged about 25,000 miles and 2 million
> vertical feet on them over two years. When the sole wore down enough
> to expose the cleat, I just added some Shoe Goo to the sole and kept
> riding.

I use these shoes and the previous model for touring and as a go to
work show where I don't walk for miles in the office. I get years of
service from them and I find the mesh uppers fail before the soles
wear down to cleat exposure.

http://tinyurl.com/a822
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/penncyclebuy/shimt0sporto.html

> One shoe with cleat weighs 425 gm, so they're not what I would call
> super light. If you're a weight weenie, you might want to look
> elsewhere.

That depends on whether walking is important.

> If you want to indulge your weight weenie tendencies (I do often),
> then maybe the Nike Poggio with SPD adapter is your choice: 280 gm
> with SPD adapter (without cleat).

We all like to think a gram here and there makes the difference but it
doesn't

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]

Jobst Brandt wrote:

> We all like to think a gram here and there makes the difference but it
> doesn't

That all depends on how many heres and theres you have lying around
(and how important climbing rate is). A pound to me is about half a
percent change in climbing speed.

My big thanks to everyone who replied.

And to answer a question: no, walking is *not* very important in my shoe
selection, only compatibility to Shimano M540 pedals is imporant.

Cheers