Road rage attack on child .. in cycle trailer ..

Paul - XXX

Guest
As a car driver mostly, and a cyclist about every two days, (knees recovering from ligament
injuries) I've stood up for car drivers rights a tad recently. I make no apologies for that.
However, the following really hammered home to me just how vulnerable a cyclist is. As a car driver
and a lover of all things (I admit I'm a petrol head) motoring I'm happy to say I don't think this
man deserves to drive again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2725329.stm

Frankly I'm appalled that anyone can do this and for this animal to then have the temerity to say he
hadn't realised there was a child in the trailer really strikes home. So what ? Child or no child he
still reversed into a someone deliberately.

Sentencing is adjourned, but I hope the ******* gets life.

For those who may not get to the link, the following is the article in full ..

"A driver had admitted deliberately reversing his Range Rover over a four-year-old girl and her
father in a road rage attack. Carl Baxter, 36, smashed into Emily Kerwin and her father, Stephen,
who were on a bike and trailer, after Mr Kerwin remonstrated with him for driving too close to them,
Hull Crown Court heard.

Emily lost five teeth and suffered fractures to her face and palate, in the incident on the A1034 at
Newbald, East Yorkshire. Stephen Kerwin, 52, suffered a broken leg and pelvis and still has a metal
leg brace.

Baxter, a chemical engineer, of Shipton Road, Market Weighton, East Yorkshire, stopped his car and
reversed 200 yards at high speed after Mr Kerwin shook his fist at him, the court was told. The
trailer was crushed under the rear wheels of the vehicle and Emily was found by paramedics hanging
upside down by the straps in her buggy. Baxter fled the scene, but later returned as police and
ambulance services helped the father and daughter.

Prosecuting, Simon Keely told the court: "He used the car as a weapon to cause injury. This is what
is commonly known as a road rage attack." Baxter pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, two charges of
causing grievous bodily harm, and one count of leaving the scene of an accident. Sentencing was
adjourned pending a report from Humberside probation service. Speaking outside the court after the
hearing, Baxter said he had not realised there was a child in the trailer. "I would give anything
for it not to have happened. I want to apologise to the family."

--
...................................Paul-*** Seti 1391 wu in 9942 hours
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

This piece of s***e will get off with a slapped wrist

In article <[email protected]>, Paul - ***
<[email protected]> writes
>As a car driver mostly, and a cyclist about every two days, (knees recovering from ligament
>injuries) I've stood up for car drivers rights a tad recently. I make no apologies for that.
>However, the following really hammered home to me just how vulnerable a cyclist is. As a car driver
>and a lover of all things (I admit I'm a petrol head) motoring I'm happy to say I don't think this
>man deserves to drive again.
>
>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2725329.stm
>
>Frankly I'm appalled that anyone can do this and for this animal to then have the temerity to say
>he hadn't realised there was a child in the trailer really strikes home. So what ? Child or no
>child he still reversed into a someone deliberately.
>
>Sentencing is adjourned, but I hope the ******* gets life.
>
>For those who may not get to the link, the following is the article in full ..
>
>"A driver had admitted deliberately reversing his Range Rover over a four-year-old girl and her
>father in a road rage attack. Carl Baxter, 36, smashed into Emily Kerwin and her father, Stephen,
>who were on a bike and trailer, after Mr Kerwin remonstrated with him for driving too close to
>them, Hull Crown Court heard.
>
>Emily lost five teeth and suffered fractures to her face and palate, in the incident on the A1034
>at Newbald, East Yorkshire. Stephen Kerwin, 52, suffered a broken leg and pelvis and still has a
>metal leg brace.
>
>Baxter, a chemical engineer, of Shipton Road, Market Weighton, East Yorkshire, stopped his car and
>reversed 200 yards at high speed after Mr Kerwin shook his fist at him, the court was told. The
>trailer was crushed under the rear wheels of the vehicle and Emily was found by paramedics hanging
>upside down by the straps in her buggy. Baxter fled the scene, but later returned as police and
>ambulance services helped the father and daughter.
>
>Prosecuting, Simon Keely told the court: "He used the car as a weapon to cause injury. This is what
>is commonly known as a road rage attack." Baxter pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, two charges
>of causing grievous bodily harm, and one count of leaving the scene of an accident. Sentencing was
>adjourned pending a report from Humberside probation service. Speaking outside the court after the
>hearing, Baxter said he had not realised there was a child in the trailer. "I would give anything
>for it not to have happened. I want to apologise to the family."

--
The Big Baguette

When the turd says, "I would give anything for it not to have happened. I want to apologise to the
family." it would be nice if the turd gave up his licence permanently, plus did a spell behind bars,
a long anger managment course and paid out a hefty sum in financial compensation to his victims.
What's the betting he'll get six points and a derisory fine?

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter deftly scribbled ;

> When the turd says, "I would give anything for it not to have happened. I want to apologise to the
> family." it would be nice if the turd gave up his licence permanently, plus did a spell behind
> bars, a long anger managment course and paid out a hefty sum in financial compensation to his
> victims.

That's what's deserved I reckon.

> What's the betting he'll get six points and a derisory fine?

I sincerely hope not, but fear that may be the case.

--
...................................Paul-*** Seti 1391 wu in 9942 hours
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

In article <[email protected]>, Adrian Boliston
<[email protected]> writes
>"Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
>> > What's the betting he'll get six points and a derisory fine?
>>
>> I sincerely hope not, but fear that may be the case.
>
>I read on another group that when someone uses violence in a road-rage incident by way of hitting
>someone with their fist, that a custodial sentance would be very likely.
>
>If on the other hand a road-rager decides to use their vehicle as a weapon rather than their
>fist, would this be treated in a more serious manner on the basis that a vehicle when
>deliberately used as a weapon will almost certainly do *far* more harm than a fist when
>deliberately used as a weapon?

It was only a cyclist he hit, and the people sitting in judgement will no doubt be magistrates. He's
home and dry.
--
The Big Baguette

"Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > What's the betting he'll get six points and a derisory fine?
>
> I sincerely hope not, but fear that may be the case.

I read on another group that when someone uses violence in a road-rage incident by way of hitting
someone with their fist, that a custodial sentance would be very likely.

If on the other hand a road-rager decides to use their vehicle as a weapon rather than their fist,
would this be treated in a more serious manner on the basis that a vehicle when deliberately used as
a weapon will almost certainly do *far* more harm than a fist when deliberately used as a weapon?

Of course we could all help this along by finding out where he works and lobbying his employer to
sack him, if they haven't already done so.

In article <[email protected]>, Call me Bob <[email protected]> writes
>On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 19:38:48 +0000, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>It was only a cyclist he hit, and the people sitting in judgement will no doubt be magistrates.
>>He's home and dry.
>
>With two counts of GBH in the mix he's probably at Crown Court and before a judge.

You're right. Contempt of court being my usual condition, I missed that.
--
The Big Baguette

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 19:38:48 +0000, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:

>It was only a cyclist he hit, and the people sitting in judgement will no doubt be magistrates.
>He's home and dry.

With two counts of GBH in the mix he's probably at Crown Court and before a judge.

Bob

"The Big Baguette" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Adrian Boliston
> <[email protected]> writes
> >"Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

> >> I sincerely hope not, but fear that may be the case.
> >
> >I read on another group that when someone uses violence in a road-rage incident by way of hitting
> >someone with their fist, that a custodial sentance would be very likely.
> >
> >If on the other hand a road-rager decides to use their vehicle as a
weapon
> >rather than their fist, would this be treated in a more serious manner on the basis that a
> >vehicle when deliberately used as a weapon will almost certainly do *far* more harm than a fist
> >when deliberately used as a
weapon?

> It was only a cyclist he hit, and the people sitting in judgement will no doubt be magistrates.
> He's home and dry.

I'm not a gambling man, but if I were I would lay heavy odds on a custodial sentence. It is ok for a
motorist to kill by *accident* through stupidity, negligence or recklessness, but when injury is
inflicted on purpose it is an entirely different matter in the eyes of a Judge.

Personally I don't worry too much about meeting the occasional psychopath, I'm much more scared of
the common Granny, visiting her grandkids no doubt, who likes to drive a foot behind and just to the
right of my back wheel waiting to overtake.

In article <[email protected]>, Smudger <[email protected]> writes

Or we could simply rub the ******* out
--
The Big Baguette

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 18:40:46 -0000, "Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Sentencing is adjourned, but I hope the ******* gets life.

Well, without wishing to be controversial, I think we should CUT HIS GOOLIES OFF!!!

And take away his driving licence for a very long time. Suspension to start when he's released from
a prison sentence of considerable duration.

Remember, folks, the sentence is supposed to reflect the degree of intent, not the seriousness of
the outcome - this is easily as bad as Ian Carr. Possibly worse, as the driver took a deliberate
decision to reverse into the cyclist.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Make's us as bad as him then. And it's not legal! It shouldn't be hard to find out where he works.
We could all write to him (his address is in the news story) and politely suggest he finds
alternative work and moves, preferably to Mexico where his driving skills would be better
appreciated.

"Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> As a car driver mostly, and a cyclist about every two days, (knees recovering from ligament
> injuries) I've stood up for car drivers rights a tad recently.

Driver's rights? Considering that in uk.t they do the same sort of thing as we were doing recently -
ie guessing what looks probable and condemning for whats 90% likely. Its a newsgroup thing. (The one
I found most appauling was the condemnation of a dead pregnant woman who had the temerity to drive)

> "A driver had admitted deliberately reversing his Range Rover over a four-year-old girl and her
> father in a road rage attack. Carl Baxter, 36, smashed into Emily Kerwin and her father,
> Stephen, who were on a bike and trailer, after Mr Kerwin remonstrated with him for driving too
> close to them

That was another recent one, with uk.t usual suspects. (as well as part of the scottish van one)
It seems beyond the wit of most motorists what makes a reasonable overtaking space, and hardly
surprising that cyclists get in a state when scared out of their wits. Its a human frailty that
if someone scares the **** out of you, seconds later you will be in an extremely stroppy and
spiky state.

Had the driver not attacked two people with a leathal weapon, this would have been an everyday tale
of lycra louts giving poor motorists some grief. And had the cyclist wobbled a bit when overtaking
no doubt it would have been his fault if it caused his or the childs death.

In article <[email protected]>, Just zis Guy, you know?
<[email protected]> writes
>On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 18:40:46 -0000, "Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Sentencing is adjourned, but I hope the ******* gets life.
>
>Well, without wishing to be controversial, I think we should CUT HIS GOOLIES OFF!!!
>
>And take away his driving licence for a very long time. Suspension to start when he's released from
>a prison sentence of considerable duration.
>
>Remember, folks, the sentence is supposed to reflect the degree of intent, not the seriousness of
>the outcome - this is easily as bad as Ian Carr. Possibly worse, as the driver took a deliberate
>decision to reverse into the cyclist.

You're absolutely spot on. If he'd killed cyclist or passenger (or both), what would have made it
anything but murder?
--
The Big Baguette

<snip>
> Baxter, a chemical engineer,
- Good Job, obviously an intelligent memeber of society......

of Shipton Road, Market Weighton, East
> Yorkshire, stopped his car and reversed 200 yards at high speed
- Oh dear, premeditated.....

after Mr Kerwin shook his fist at him, the court was told. The trailer was crushed
> under the rear wheels of the vehicle and Emily was found by paramedics hanging upside down by the
> straps in her buggy. Baxter fled the scene,
but
> later returned as police and ambulance services helped the father and daughter.
- Obviously got a conscience as he returned to the scene, showing remorse for his actions.....

> Prosecuting, Simon Keely told the court: "He used the car as a weapon to cause injury. This is
> what is commonly known as a road rage attack."
- Road rage ?...surely this is attempted murder ??

> Baxter pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, two charges of causing
grievous bodily
> harm, and one count of leaving the scene of an accident.
- How very honourable of him....did he have any other option ?....and would he if he had've ?

> Sentencing was adjourned pending a report from Humberside probation
service. Speaking
> outside the court after the hearing, Baxter said he had not realised there was a child in the
> trailer. "I would give anything for it not to have happened. I want to apologise to the family."
- How 'bout giving up personal freedom, his job, major financial recompense, staying from behind
the wheel for life and hey!, let's see if he can ride a bike on a daily basis....

Bring back the death sentence, just this once.

Cheers

Dave.

Just zis Guy, you know? deftly scribbled ;

> On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 18:40:46 -0000, "Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Sentencing is adjourned, but I hope the ******* gets life.
>
> Well, without wishing to be controversial, I think we should CUT HIS GOOLIES OFF!!!

No, that's really just being as bad as he is .. I think a decently long jail sentence, say 10 years,
and a lifetime driving ban ought to be enough ..

> And take away his driving licence for a very long time. Suspension to start when he's released
> from a prison sentence of considerable duration.

Agreed, though I would suggest for life, after all, he deliberately tried to drive into someone ..
which to me smacks of at least attempted murder.

> Remember, folks, the sentence is supposed to reflect the degree of intent, not the seriousness of
> the outcome - this is easily as bad as Ian Carr. Possibly worse, as the driver took a deliberate
> decision to reverse into the cyclist.

As I say, attempted murder, not just of a father, but of his child too.

--
...................................Paul-*** Seti 1391 wu in 9942 hours
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

In message <[email protected]>, Paul - ***
<[email protected]> writes
>..
>
>"A driver had admitted deliberately reversing his Range Rover over a four-year-old girl and her
>father in a road rage attack.

Scary stuff, I reckon with the way he behaved and the injuries caused (let alone possible results..)
A custodial sentence is a real possibility, I hope so, and a good long one.

Hope Becka isn't finding this to scary if she's reading it......

FWIW, the response to car drivers when out with the trailer has always been to give us plenty of
space and time
--
Chris French, Leeds

A suitable example for the need for capital punishment. "Paul - ***" <[email protected]>