Road rage attack on child .. in cycle trailer ..

>Eh lad, it's even older than that. 1979-1982.

Geeze!!! And I remember the sketch like it was yesterday!
--
remove remove to reply

[email protected] (Howard) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> More details on this piece of sh*t... (This time from the Torygraph)

> is separated from his wife, has custody of a child and runs a small haulage business.

Interesting to know what the mother is like if /he/ got custody, poor kid. I hope the judge doesn't
give him a get-out-of-jail-free card because he's a single parent.

LN

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 13:37:18 +0000 (UTC), davep <[email protected]> wrote:

>Roger Thorpe wrote:
>
>> Howard wrote:
>> > Baxter.
>> >
>> > Tel: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Tel: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Address: xxxxxxxxxxx Market Weighton YO43 ***
>>
>> This is a slippery slope, and I think that's a step too far.
>>
>> --
>> Roger Thorpe
>>
>> My email address is spamtrapped. You can work it out!
>
>why? mr b or mr c baxter of shipman road is a thug, it should be attempted murder, he should lose
>his job and go to jail.

Which is it then? Mr B or Mr C? Heads or tails? Do you feel lucky, punk?

Leave it to the courts.

Tim

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of
"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Please note: the "cut their goolies off" bit is a quote from Not The Nine O-Clock News - we do all
> know that don't we?

Those of us who don't have a telly don't know that.

OK I speak only for myself, but I'm guessing it might apply more widely:)

--
Wear your paunch with pride!

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of
"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:
> programme, or the 1980s wireless programme The Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

That's 1970s. I remember sitting on the night storage heater in the prefab we had for a classroom,
discussing it with my schoolmates ...

--
Wear your paunch with pride!

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 20:02:41 +0000, [email protected] (Nick Kew) wrote:

>That's 1970s. I remember sitting on the night storage heater in the prefab we had for a classroom,
>discussing it with my schoolmates ...

Ah, I had mentally removed it to an honorary position outside of "the decade that taste forgot."

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Yes, yes,'vigilante' attacks should be left to the sort of halfwits that go around assualting
paediatricians. It is also possibly naive to think that sending a few strongly worded letters to a
scumbag like this will make him change his attitudes. (Or are we to belive that his 'remorse' is
genuine or felt for anyone other than himself). However think on, this guy will be back on the roads
sooner or later filled with even more anger then he had before. When he is I think his whereabouts
and registration number should be circulated so that any future such incidents can be followed up
efficiently.

Whilst it might be true that 'Part of the deal we make to live in a civilized way is to allow
justice to be served by the state.' It remains the case that the victims of aggressive and willfully
'careless' drivers are NOT being served by the state. Kill a cyclist and get a £135 fine, if the
police even bother to pursue the case that
is...

It almost seems that it is being suggested that the victims of our car culture do not even have a
right to feel angry. In comparison, it seems to be totally acceptable to vilify cyclists even when
they have done nothing wrong. Consider the sort of anti-cyclist hate generated by the media in
response to the perfectly reasonable suggestion that injured pedestrians and cyclists should be able
to get compensation from motor insurance companies without having to prove fault. (Something this is
no more then natural justice anyway given that in the majority of cycle/motorist collisons the
driver is wholly or significantly at fault).

Similarly, no one is suggesting that this guy is representative of the majority of drivers on
the road and yet every cyclist is labelled as being a 'lycra lout' or 'two wheeled terrorist' by
the press.

Cyclists have good reason to be angry and even outraged and not just because of incidents like this.
This does not justify 'vigilantism'. It does justify expressing that anger especially to those in a
position to improve matters, central and local government, the police, the courts and so on.

Just why is anonymity of people like this is held to be so important in the UK? You can bet that
this guy behaves like an **** everytime he meets a cyclist and some way needs to be found of
identifying such drivers. We all at heart know that the driver who kills or injures a cyclist
through such willful actions as overtaking the cyclist too close has probabaly done something very
similar 100 times before. Despite this their actions will be treated as a'one off'. Cyclists need to
start protecting themselves by circulating information about such 'close shaves' and deliberate
intimidation. If nothing else such information will help cyclists to differentiate between the
careless and habitually and willfully bad drivers. If half a dozen cyclists in the same area
experience aggressive driving from the same individual it might also encourage one or more of them
to pursue the case with the police. For this to be a possibility it must be possible to identify the
errant driver in the first place.

In addition, such open knowledge might help ensure that when a cyclist is killed or maimed, other
cyclists will be able to come forward and give evidence that the the causal behaviour was anything
but an isolated incident, so ensuring justice.

i.t. in an ideal world we should be able to report every act of dangerous or aggressive driving to
the police and know it will be followed up. However everyone knows (especially drivers) that
the police just can't be bothered. In addition, given the current attitudes to cyclists and low
levels of driving skill it would mean filling out a handful of reports forms everytime you go
out on the road...

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 13:43:35 -0000, "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Tim Hall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
>> Agreed. Next thing you'll find the trial gets abandoned has happened in the past following
>> biassed reporting prior to the case coming to court.
>>

>The trial's over, it's just the sentencing that's in question. Still, wouldn't want to turn him
>into a 'victim' & give scope for any sympathy there towards him would we?
>
>Rich

Some years ago a friend of mine was killed by a driver. During the trial the driver claimed he had
received telephone death threats. It was front page news in the national papers. He got off with a
fine and a ban.

Stephen

Guy challenged:
> Explain, then, how certain people below the age of 30 are able to recite verbatim whole sketches
> from Mr. Montgomery Python's Flying Circus programme,

The first 2 series were repeated on BBC2 about 12 years ago. And of course having the
scripts helps :)

> or the 1980s wireless programme The Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

That was repeated on R4 last year. And of course, plenty of us under 30 have read all the books.

Thomas Paine

The message <[email protected]> from [email protected] (Nick Kew) contains
these words:

> Those of us who don't have a telly don't know that.

Umm...no I don't have a telly and *did* know that. (I had access to TV whilst a student but have
never owned a TV - or a TV licence)

> OK I speak only for myself, but I'm guessing it might apply more widely:)

> --
> Wear your paunch with pride!
Nah, I just have a *big* bum...

>Baxter.
>
>Tel: (01430) 876759 Tel: (01430) 872429 Address: 22 Shipman Road Market Weighton YO43 3RB

Thanks for this.

May I suggest we all send him letters expressing the true feelings we have towards him. A few
late night or early morning telephone calls wouldn't go amiss either, but remember to use public
phone boxes.
--
remove remove to reply

In article <[email protected]>, Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> writes
>The message <[email protected]> from [email protected] (Nick Kew) contains
>these words:
>
>> Those of us who don't have a telly don't know that.
>
>Umm...no I don't have a telly and *did* know that. (I had access to TV whilst a student but have
>never owned a TV - or a TV licence)
>
>> OK I speak only for myself, but I'm guessing it might apply more widely:)
>
>> --
>> Wear your paunch with pride!
>Nah, I just have a *big* bum...

Ooooohhhh
--
The Big Baguette

On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 03:03:17 +0000, Gonzalez <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Baxter.
>>
>>Tel: (01430) 876759 Tel: (01430) 872429 Address: 22 Shipman Road Market Weighton YO43 3RB
>

>Thanks for this.
>
>May I suggest we all send him letters expressing the true feelings we have towards him. A few
>late night or early morning telephone calls wouldn't go amiss either, but remember to use public
>phone boxes.

Can I re-emphasise what I've already said in this thread

"Some years ago a friend of mine was killed by a driver. During the
>trial the driver claimed he had received telephone death threats. It was front page news in the
>national papers. He got off with a fine and a ban."

This incident was horrific, but no one died. Get a grip - you are lowering yourselves to the level
of the perpatrator.

Stephen

In message <[email protected]>, Danny Colyer <[email protected]> writes
>Guy challenged:
>> Explain, then, how certain people below the age of 30 are able to recite verbatim whole sketches
>> from Mr. Montgomery Python's Flying Circus programme,
>
>The first 2 series were repeated on BBC2 about 12 years ago. And of course having the scripts
>helps :)
>
>> or the 1980s wireless programme The Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy.
>
>That was repeated on R4 last year. And of course, plenty of us under 30 have read all the books.

And have the CD's

Graham
--
Graham Glen

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

>> Wear your paunch with pride!
> Nah, I just have a *big* bum...

You are Arabella Weir & ICMFP :-D

--
Guy
===

Graham Glen wrote:

>>> or the 1980s wireless programme The Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

>> That was repeated on R4 last year. And of course, plenty of us under 30 have read all the books.

> And have the CD's

And the T-shirt?

--
Guy
===

Gonzalez <[email protected]> wrote
> Thanks for this.
>
> May I suggest we all send him letters expressing the true feelings we have towards him. A few
> late night or early morning telephone calls wouldn't go amiss either, but remember to use public
> phone boxes.

From what I have heard elsewhere they guy may have changed his number and gone ex directory since
the attack. I guess a well argued letter pointing out the error of his ways might get to the right
person. However, I doubt he would read them, I wouldn't even bet that he can read...

Ultimately, this attack is just a symptom of a deeper sickness in our society. The reasons why
cyclists are treated like dirt and car drivers are so leniently treated are complex. These include
historical factors, the individual selfishness that is encouraged by a competitive market led
economy and is rapidly leading to a 'Fu*k You, I'll do whatever I want' society, the power of the
car lobby, the influence of advertisers, the image of cyclists as being poor, or 'loony left' eco
cranks, the fact that many car drivers actually dislike driving but see no alternative and feel they
will end up in even more traffic jams if measures are introduced to encourage cycling...

Perhaps most of all to be a cyclist is to stand aside from the values of the car owning herd.
Cyclists offer a challenge to the social norm and many just can't deal with this. When a cyclist
passses a car driver sitting in a traffic jam does the driver think, Hmmm... that looks like a good
idea. No, they have invested so much, both financially and psychologically in their car owning
lifestyle that to think this would be tantamount to saying 'Hey, I am wrong, I have been had'.
However, the realisation that another way is possible is still there and causes something called
'cognitive dissonance', a sort of
psychological tension that needs to be released. One way to do this is to debase the values that the
challenge is based on so the driver will think, 'He will get wet when it rains' 'bloody lycra
lout' and so on. Research has shown that drivers who have bought a new car even become blind to
adverts for other makes as they suggest that may have made an incorrect buying decision!

By the way, as to my comment that cyclists aren't even permitted to display thier anger without this
leading to further vilification. A good example of this was in the Times on July 28 2002. Brian
Appleyard knocked pulled into the path of a cyclist, knocking them off or as he put it 'edged at
walking speed into a line of traffic. Suddenly a man clad in Lycra and helmet was toppling over next
to me...' The cyclists was obvioulsy uspet and shouted at the 'journalist'. Appleyard then wrote an
article entitled 'One day, I'll kill a lycra lout' decrying cyclists for being aggressive and angry.
Christ with tossers like Appleyard on the road it is no wonder!...

Regards,

Howard

http://www.thebikezone.org.uk

"Steve McGinty" <stephenmcginty@ntlworld_DOT_.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 13:43:35 -0000, "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"Tim Hall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >
> >> Agreed. Next thing you'll find the trial gets abandoned has happened in the past following
> >> biassed reporting prior to the case coming to court.
> >>

> >The trial's over, it's just the sentencing that's in question. Still, wouldn't want to turn him
> >into a 'victim' & give scope for any sympathy there towards him would we?
> >
> >Rich
> >
> Some years ago a friend of mine was killed by a driver. During the trial the driver claimed he had
> received telephone death threats. It was front page news in the national papers. He got off with a
> fine and a ban.
>

> Stephen

...hmmmm, best make them promises then, not threats..

"Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:b1r19h$88h$1
> >
> > > In that this person admitted his guilt he is not a psychopath.
> >
> > Yeah right. The difference is between saying you are sorry and feeling sorry.
> >
> > ... and I don't mean feeling sorry for himself that he got caught/ got himself in the ****.
> >
> Well, neither of us was in the court so we can't judge that can we?

And even if we were, the people who manage to be psycho/sociopaths all their lives are good at
faking it. Esp. if they can mix the two "feeling sorry"s .

Gonzalez wrote:
>> Baxter.
>>
>> Tel: (01430) 876759 Tel: (01430) 872429 Address: 22 Shipman Road Market Weighton YO43 3RB
>

> Thanks for this.
>
> May I suggest we all send him letters expressing the true feelings we have towards him. A few
> late night or early morning telephone calls wouldn't go amiss either, but remember to use public
> phone boxes.

You don't mind if I forward your post to [email protected] / [email protected], do you?