Road Rage Moron

On May 9, 12:17 pm, TimC <[email protected]
astro.swin.edu.au> wrote:
> On 2008-05-09, EuanB (aka Bruce)
>

> > Duncan Wrote:
> >> btw: I find it astounding that the police have taken more than a day
> >> to talk to this lunatic. They have the rego, why didn't they scoot
> >> around there asap and have a quiet word?

> > All registration tells the police is who owns the car and the
> > residential address.

> > It doesn't tell the police where that person happens to be at a point
> > in time.

> > Further the incident has already happened, priority for police
> > resources would porbably have been given to inicidents where the police
> > can make a difference, leaving after the fact policing till quieter
> > times, which is sensible.

> Except that it has been reported that this guy is already known to
> police, which means he is already suspected of having offended in the
> past, and will offend again. As such, I would have guessed he would
> be one of their highest priority cases. Because he knows he is known
> (and a description of him has been plastered all over the newspapers),
> you can bet he's gone "missing". So we just have to wait for him to
> turn up in Kalgoolie...
>
> And for his sake, he better be hoping someone isn't going to rip out
> his gonads through his throat, when he is found.

Interesting hearing his side of the story, though:

"I've pulled over, I had time to put my hazard lights on, put it into
park, go to start it in petrol, half a dozen maybe 15 cyclists rode
past me, and then all of a sudden one or two went bang bang into the
back of my car," he said.

On Fri, 09 May 2008 02:17:51 GMT, TimC

>Except that it has been reported that this guy is already known to
>police, which means he is already suspected of having offended in the
>past, and will offend again. As such, I would have guessed he would
>be one of their highest priority cases. Because he knows he is known
>(and a description of him has been plastered all over the newspapers),
>you can bet he's gone "missing". So we just have to wait for him to
>turn up in Kalgoolie...
>
>And for his sake, he better be hoping someone isn't going to rip out
>his gonads through his throat, when he is found.

He's claiming innocence !
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23670161-29277,00.html

I'm no cyclist hater, says driver
May 09, 2008 11:49am

A MAN who claims he was the driver of a car at the centre of a road-rage attack
says he is no "cyclist hater" and he was having engine trouble when he stopped
in front of a pack of cyclists, causing a crash.

The man, who identified himself only as Jason, said it was not anger at being
stuck behind the pack of 50 riders that made him overtake then stop in front of
them.

The incident occurred near Sydney airport yesterday morning.

More than 20 riders - including professional cyclists Kate Nichols and Olympic
hopeful Ben Kersten - were injured when they ran into the back of the car.

"I'm not a cyclist hater, I'm not nothing," Jason said on Macquarie radio this
morning.

"I was just driving along and I had a car failure and now I'm in trouble - I
dunno."

Jason said his car stalled, forcing him to pull up partly in the emergency lane
and partly in the left-hand lane.

"I've pulled over, I had time to put my hazard lights on, put it into park, go
to start it in petrol, half a dozen maybe 15 cyclists rode past me, and then all
of a sudden one or two went bang bang into the back of my car," he said.

Jason said he switched the car from gas to petrol and it started. His girlfriend
was also in the car and they drove off as dozens of cyclists surrounded his car.
"(They were) all looking at me like I'm an idiot and calling me names," he said.
"I thought, `I'm not getting out of the car with 50 blokes wanting to hit me'. I
just drove off."

Jason said he had spoken to police at 9pm yesterday and they had photographed
some marks on his car.

Kersten rang the station immediately afterwards and accused Jason of lying.

"Mate, you're a lying dog. You are a liar and you are going to get caught for
it," he said, while Jason was on the line.

"You were doing 60 kilometres an hour and then stopped to zero ... what you did
was ridiculous.
"Who takes off after they accidentally cause such damage - who isn't
remorseful?"

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 8 May 2008 19:21:22 -0700 (PDT)
Duncan <[email protected]> wrote:
> Interesting hearing his side of the story, though:
>
> "I've pulled over, I had time to put my hazard lights on, put it into
> park, go to start it in petrol, half a dozen maybe 15 cyclists rode
> past me, and then all of a sudden one or two went bang bang into the
> back of my car," he said.

I'd say the semi trailer driver would be a useful independent witness.

Zebee

On May 8, 10:21 pm, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.393...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> AndrewJ Wrote:
>
> > It's a very simple process to locate somebody once you
> > have a registration number.

> All a rego number tells the authorities is who the registered owner is.
> Doesn't inform who was actually driving the vehicle or where they are
> now. A rego number also doesn't predict how much the alleged driver will
> try to get their legal representation to get them off the charges once
> the case slowly gets to court or what the verdict outcome eventually is
> etc ...
>
> --
> cfsmtb

the police can be quite good at shaking (metaphorically) the driver's
identify out of an owner who is less legally aware.

On May 9, 12:44 pm, Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on Thu, 8 May 2008 19:21:22 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Duncan <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Interesting hearing his side of the story, though:

> > "I've pulled over, I had time to put my hazard lights on, put it into
> > park, go to start it in petrol, half a dozen maybe 15 cyclists rode
> > past me, and then all of a sudden one or two went bang bang into the
> > back of my car," he said.

> I'd say the semi trailer driver would be a useful independent witness.

Indeed.

As usual with all these sorts of things, though.. there are two sides
to the story.

duncan

ps: lots of idiocy going on over in aus.cars

On May 9, 9:43 am, Duncan <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 9, 12:17 am, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.393...@no-
>
> mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> > In the complete absence of anything really sensible in the media
> > regarding yesterdays 'road rage' incident in Sydney, Alan Odds from the
> > newly-formed National Roads and Cyclists Association has issued this
> > press release:

> > NRCA: Evans inflames an already hostile situationhttp://www.mynrca.com.au/road_rage.pdf

> > --
> > cfsmtb

> Well there's something sensible in the media now. Odds has been
> published in the SMH.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5yq5pa
>
> "The president of the National Roads and Cyclists Association, Alan
> Odds, said cyclists had every right to be on the road but "they still
> get abuse hurled at them, stuff thrown at them - female cyclists get
> wolf-whistled".
>
> "So what if a cyclist takes 30 seconds off your journey to work?" he
> said. "For some reason, lycra to motorists is like a red rag to a
> bull."
>
> btw: I find it astounding that the police have taken more than a day
> to talk to this lunatic. They have the rego, why didn't they scoot
> around there asap and have a quiet word?
>
> duncan

I thought it was a great press release, but I don't like this bit
about a cyclist taking 30 seconds off. OK, a rider/bunch might delay a
motorist, but they catch straight up to the other traffic or next red
light when they pass, i.e. no delay at all.

On May 9, 12:44 pm, Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on Thu, 8 May 2008 19:21:22 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Duncan <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Interesting hearing his side of the story, though:

> > "I've pulled over, I had time to put my hazard lights on, put it into
> > park, go to start it in petrol, half a dozen maybe 15 cyclists rode
> > past me, and then all of a sudden one or two went bang bang into the
> > back of my car," he said.

> I'd say the semi trailer driver would be a useful independent witness.
>
> Zebee

I'd say the 6-15 cyclists, all sentient beings, would be sufficient
for the average magistrate.

Donga

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 8 May 2008 20:02:08 -0700 (PDT)
Donga <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 9, 12:44 pm, Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'd say the semi trailer driver would be a useful independent witness.
>>
>> Zebee

> I'd say the 6-15 cyclists, all sentient beings, would be sufficient
> for the average magistrate.

AS people involved, their evidence is not as trustworthy as those who
are not.

Not because they would deliberately lie, but because eyewitness
evidence is inherently difficult, involved (meaning shook up, angry)
witnesses are more so, witnesses who have ivolvement with others and
therefore may have had their recollection tainted by stories are also
difficult. There's a lot of research on that latter, in that most
people remember a memory not an incident, and that memory can be
changed by what others say.

Zebee

Zebee

On Thu, 08 May 2008 19:56:06 -0700, Donga wrote:

> the police can be quite good at shaking (metaphorically) the driver's
> identify out of an owner who is less legally aware.

Do you meant that the owner isn't automatically liable unless they
nominate another person?

On Fri, 09 May 2008 02:17:51 +0000, TimC wrote:

> Because he knows he is known
> (and a description of him has been plastered all over the newspapers),
> you can bet he's gone "missing". So we just have to wait for him to
> turn up in Kalgoolie...

Hardly a "safe" place to hide out. All those abandoned mine shafts around
the place.

++++++++++
>for the average magistrate.

Especially if he's a Buddhist.....

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 09 May 2008 13:09:52 +1000
terryc <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 08 May 2008 19:56:06 -0700, Donga wrote:
>
>> the police can be quite good at shaking (metaphorically) the driver's
>> identify out of an owner who is less legally aware.

> Do you meant that the owner isn't automatically liable unless they
> nominate another person?

I beleive that owner-onus has to be specfically legislated. IT is for
say camera speeding fines, but I don't know about dangerous driving.

Zebee

On Fri, 09 May 2008 03:05:28 +0000, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> Not because they would deliberately lie, but because eyewitness
> evidence is inherently difficult, involved (meaning shook up, angry)
> witnesses are more so, witnesses who have ivolvement with others and
> therefore may have had their recollection tainted by stories are also
> difficult. There's a lot of research on that latter, in that most
> people remember a memory not an incident, and that memory can be
> changed by what others say.

Which supports the case for writing out your recollections immediately
after the incident and date time and witness notifications on it to
support your statement.

On May 9, 12:16 pm, Rory Williams <Rory.Williams.394...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> EuanB Wrote:
>
> > All registration tells the police is who owns the car and the
> > residential address.

> > It doesn't tell the police where that person happens to be at a point
> > in time.

> > Further the incident has already happened, priority for police
> > resources would porbably have been given to inicidents where the police
> > can make a difference, leaving after the fact policing till quieter
> > times, which is sensible.

> There was a fairly extensive story about it on PM on ABC radio national
> yesterday afternoon.
>
> '' (http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2008/s2239488.htm)
>
> My impression from the story was that Kevin Nichols took the rego
> number and also spoke to the driver of the car.
>
> This makes me think that there should be a good chance of identifying
> the actual driver - particularly if it was the registered owner.
>
> RoryW'transcript' (http://''transcript'
> (http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2008/s2239488.htm)'
> (http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2008/s2239488.htm))
>
> --
> Rory Williams

Curiouser and curiouser.

Still, having 50 witnesses should make the whole process a bit more
straightforward.

Scenario 1: driver hassles cyclists, shouts at them, buzzes them, then
stops in front of them.

Scenario 2: driver gets past cyclists, then engine stalls.

Only an eyewitness can distinguish these two.

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 8 May 2008 20:39:18 -0700 (PDT)
AndrewJ <[email protected]> wrote:

> Still, having 50 witnesses should make the whole process a bit more
> straightforward.

I'm hoping the riders did write things down as soon as possible.

Because many of them will only have seen small portions of it - head down,
not at the front or where the driver was supposed to have swerved - and
with the publicity their recollections could end up being unconvincing
if a decent defence counsel hammers on that enough.

The semi driver and any other uninvolved witnesses are the best bet.

I must admit I don't see how that if it is how the cyclists say, that
the driver thinks he can get away with the "had time to stop and get
out" bit.

Unless the ones at the head of the pack were really not looking where
they were going, and so had some 15-20 seconds of inattention. Which
is presumably what the defence will say - that the head-down bum-up
riders were only looking at the bit of tarmac in front of them.

Zebee

On 2008-05-09, EuanB (aka Bruce)

> Duncan Wrote:
>> btw: I find it astounding that the police have taken more than a day
>> to talk to this lunatic. They have the rego, why didn't they scoot
>> around there asap and have a quiet word?

> All registration tells the police is who owns the car and the
> residential address.
>
> It doesn't tell the police where that person happens to be at a point
> in time.
>
> Further the incident has already happened, priority for police
> resources would porbably have been given to inicidents where the police
> can make a difference, leaving after the fact policing till quieter
> times, which is sensible.

Except that it has been reported that this guy is already known to
police, which means he is already suspected of having offended in the
past, and will offend again. As such, I would have guessed he would
be one of their highest priority cases. Because he knows he is known
(and a description of him has been plastered all over the newspapers),
you can bet he's gone "missing". So we just have to wait for him to
turn up in Kalgoolie...
No that's not how it works.

Police resources are finite. An accident that has happened has happened, nothing can be done to change that.

Dealing with the aftermath of accidents, dealing with current and happening crimes, that's something police can do something about.

The early morning is a peak period for emergency service activitiy, it drops off as people get to work and gradually ramps up from about 16:00ish.

Picking up a known felon can wait till more pressing matters have been attended to, which is the way it should be.

On Thu, 8 May 2008 21:42:50 -0700 (PDT), [email protected] wrote:

>the donkee pigee was shot that's what i heard on the tube.

Is that supposed to make any sense whatsoever ???