Road Rash

bakstreet

Apr 2, 2007
I went down pretty hard earlier this week and my hip and knee are pretty tore up. I have pretty much kept them wrapped with medicine on them ever since but neither look a whole lot better. I was wondering is it better to keep them wrapped or open them up so they can get some air. Also, it seems like everything I wear rubs on my hip, how do I get it to heal? Thanks for your help, any tips or advice is welcome.

covered with triple antibiotic or wound cream of some sort on them is the best. It looks ugly, but it will heal better and be less painful. I had some on my hip a little while back too - I wrapped an ace bandage around it (but that might be easier for me since I'm a woman...) to keep my pants from rubbing it and to keep the bandage on. It takes about 2 weeks before you'lll see any significant healing - depending of course on how big and how deep it is - you'll usually see healing from the edges in.
If you search around the fourum here you should find some good links on road rash treatment.

Had Road Rash a few weeks ago on my hip, healed it within a week.

Clean the wound thoroughly with Hydrogen Peroxide, make sure to get all the grit and dirt out.
Get some triple action Anitbiotic Cream and apply liberally.
Get some non stick dressings and cover the area, taping the dressing on.
Leave covered and try to avoid changing the dressing. I only changed it once. By day 6 the would was healed but still tender. Day 8 completly healed.

When I worked in a hospital they (I say they cause I had a completely non-clinical position, but I certainly saw and learned a lot of things) used a simliar product all the time on wounds called Silvadene - it also has silver in it, but is a cream rather than a bandage. The stuff was supposed to be really good on burns, which road rash essentially is. The only thing is that its really expensive.
I've never had infected road rash, so I usually just use J&J wound cream. It's mostly beeswax, it's soothing, keeps the moisture in and keeps dressings from sticking which is all that I can ask for. I prefer to not use antibacterials if I don't need them - why make stronger bugs if you don't need to.