Road riding in Chicago?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Robert Nicholso, Mar 25, 2003.

  1. I'm trying to decide if there's any point in getting my Merlin over from the UK whilst I'm in
    Chicago. I live around Michagan, and Ontario and do not drive so what options do I have for riding
    around this area?

    Tags:

  2. Nyrides

    Nyrides Guest

    >>>I'm trying to decide if there's any point in getting my Merlin over
    from the UK whilst I'm in Chicago. I live around Michagan, and Ontario and do not drive so what
    options do I have for riding around this area?<<<

    Depends on the kind of riding you want to do. The Chicago Lakefront path is a pretty cool ride if
    you're just looking to get on the bike and breathe some fresh air. It'll probably still be pretty
    chilly there, though.

    Low-Impact Rides in the NY/LI region www.geocities.com/NYRides "Robert Nicholson"
    > I'm trying to decide if there's any point in getting my Merlin over from the UK whilst I'm in
    > Chicago. I live around Michagan, and Ontario and do not drive so what options do I have for riding
    > around this area?

  3. Scic

    Scic Guest

    >From: [email protected] (Robert Nicholson)

    > I live around Michagan, and Ontario and do not drive so what options do I have for riding around
    > this area?

    Ditto the lakefront trail... only two or three street crossings. Some stretches allow (but not
    legally) a fast pace, but it's well used most of the time, esp on weekends. Few joggers in the AM.

    Gotta watch the traffic, but downtown and near north are interesting places to ride - lots of things
    to see and places to stop to eat.

    If you're not long in town, consider renting a bike. I think Village Cycle on Clark rents.

    Sig Chicago

  4. Will S .

    Will S . Guest

    > I'm trying to decide if there's any point in getting my Merlin over from the UK whilst I'm in
    > Chicago. I live around Michagan, and Ontario and do not drive so what options do I have for riding
    > around this area?

    From where you are you have easy access to the lakefront path. You can ride to it's north endpoint
    (Ardmore Ave. which is 5800 N.)and back, about a 14 mile round trip from Ontario, or to the southern
    end near 67th street which is about 18 miles roundtrip from Ontario. The path itself is well
    maintained and a really nice ride in either direction. If you go during work hours it is generally
    not too crowded and you can do some decent sprinting, especially on the southern leg where the
    intersections are fewer and the path is less crowded. The path gets more crowded in the afternoons
    and evenings, especially on warm days, and on warm weekends you can mostly forget about sprinting on
    the north path. You can ride the path most of the year (they even plow it in winter!) though it's
    fairly cool near the lake until about the middle of May.

    There is also a 50+ mile ride you can take going to the northwest away from the city. Ride straight
    west to Milwaukee Ave and take it to where it turns into Elston Ave. Elston Ave has a bike lane and
    is a straight shot about 12 or so miles throught typical city neighborhoods NW to Devon. There is a
    trail that starts at Devon and meanders along a river all the way up to the Botanic Gardens in
    Highland Park (nice place to have your lunch). It's forest preserve most of the way and you may see
    a deer or two once in a while. The path is in good shape and is never too crowded. I believe the
    trail is about 25 miles or so round trip.

    If you want more info about either ride (high traffic areas, misleading turns, good places for hot
    dogs, etc) just ask.

  5. Scic

    Scic Guest

    >From: Will S. [email protected]

    > There is a trail that starts at Devon and meanders along a river all the way up to the Botanic
    > Gardens in Highland Park...

    The North Branch Trail...a nice ride. I didn't include because the poster doesn't drive and it's a
    ride in itself on a bike just to get to it thru the city. Then there's the I&M Canal trail, hardpack
    limestone suitable for a road bike - 60 miles. A bit of a bike ride to the trail head!

    Sig Chicago

  6. Will S .

    Will S . Guest

    > >From: Will S. [email protected]
    >
    > > There is a trail that starts at Devon and meanders along a river all the way up to the Botanic
    > > Gardens in Highland Park...
    >
    > The North Branch Trail...a nice ride. I didn't include because the poster doesn't drive and it's a
    > ride in itself on a bike just to get to it thru the city. Then there's the I&M Canal trail,
    > hardpack limestone suitable for a road bike - 60 miles. A bit of a bike ride to the trail head!
    >
    > Sig Chicago

    Yes, when I ride the North Branch Trail I have to allow 18 miles for getting there and back. Not
    really a terrible ride there though. Elston is in decent shape and there is a bike lane the whole
    way. Super Dawg is a good inducement too. Where is the trailhead to the I&M Canal trail?

  7. Bob Kastigar

    Bob Kastigar Guest

    On 27 Mar 2003 06:17:40 GMT, [email protected] (Scic) wrote:

    >>From: Will S. [email protected]
    >
    >>Where is the trailhead to the I&M Canal trail?
    >
    >http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/parks/i&m/east/channaho/park.htm
    >
    >It's easier to give the URL than the directions which are on the web page.

    I have a little Ride-Report, with a few pictures along the canal at:

    http://www.neiu.edu/~rkastiga/bike/Peru/Peru1.htm

    --
    Bob Kastigar; mailto:[email protected] Home: http://www.neiu.edu/~rkastiga Work:
    http://www.wgntv.com School: http://www.neiu.edu Play: http://www.neiu.edu/~stagectr Union:

    The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><

  8. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "Robert Nicholson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm trying to decide if there's any point in getting my Merlin over from the UK whilst I'm in
    > Chicago. I live around Michagan, and Ontario and do not drive so what options do I have for riding
    > around this area?

    I'm late posting, but I notice the other replies were generally paths. There's a good bike map of
    the city itself that is handed out free, and is on-line here:

    http://www.chicagocarto.com/bikemap/keymap.html

    Michigan and Ontario is on this section of the map:

    http://www.chicagocarto.com/bikemap/usemaps/12-Q.html

    A popular road-riding gig is to head north to Evanston (either on the lakefront path or surface
    streets) and then catch Sheridan Road north, all the way to Great Lakes naval base (with a couple of
    twists along the way). Sheridan's where you are likely to see people with triathalon bars who are
    actually able to use them.

  9. There are wonderful trails in the suburbs. Much, much less used than the path by Lake Michigan. I
    live SW of the city and the trail is only a block from my home. I can ride a minimum of 20 miles,
    and many times there is noone else on the trails.

    Jürgen

    Robert Nicholson wrote:
    > I'm trying to decide if there's any point in getting my Merlin over from the UK whilst I'm in
    > Chicago. I live around Michagan, and Ontario and do not drive so what options do I have for riding
    > around this area?

  10. The Lake Front bike path is very near where you are staying. It runs about 35 miles end to end. It
    is paved and suitable for a road bike. Gets congested though. Best rides are very early AM during
    news:[email protected]...