road riding sunglasses for a myopic?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Yuri Budilov, Jul 30, 2005.

  1. Yuri Budilov

    Yuri Budilov Guest

    Hello everyone

    I wear prescription glasses (short sighted) and ride a road bicycle. The
    sunglasses I have are of the "trendy" variety i.e. they are kind of short
    and narrow, quite good for general walking and driving but really are next
    to useless for road riding because when I look up I see *over* the lenses
    (i.e. not much ahead!) and also the wind hits my eyes when I ride when I
    look up. And because I need to lift my head/neck further than the 20:20
    vision rider in order to see up ahead I develop a neck strain.

    So I am looking for suggestions on sunglasses that will cover my eyes
    better. Brands, ideas, etc.

    thank you in advance!

    Tags:

  2. Tom Schmitz

    Tom Schmitz Guest

    Yuri Budilov wrote:
    > Hello everyone
    >
    > I wear prescription glasses (short sighted) and ride a road bicycle. The
    > sunglasses I have are of the "trendy" variety i.e. they are kind of short
    > and narrow, quite good for general walking and driving but really are next
    > to useless for road riding because when I look up I see *over* the lenses
    > (i.e. not much ahead!) and also the wind hits my eyes when I ride when I
    > look up. And because I need to lift my head/neck further than the 20:20
    > vision rider in order to see up ahead I develop a neck strain.
    >
    > So I am looking for suggestions on sunglasses that will cover my eyes
    > better. Brands, ideas, etc.
    >
    > thank you in advance!

    Yuri -

    I believe that most of the common sport glasses can be fitted with
    prescription lenses; talk to your doctor.

    My doctor happened to carry Nike sunglasses. I have the Nike GDO SQ
    frames and find them to be pretty good.

    Tom

  3. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 00:21:25 +0000, Yuri Budilov wrote:

    > So I am looking for suggestions on sunglasses that will cover my eyes
    > better. Brands, ideas, etc.

    A good portion of fancy space age glasses these days can be ordered with
    an Rx clip in. Too many to mention. Check any of the popular catalogs and
    you'll be surprised. You can either fax your scrip to the sunglass seller
    or have them send you a pair of glasses and a blank insert for your
    favourite optician to grind.

    I usually just get regular ground sunglasses and dispense with the space
    age look, but that might not be thing for everybody. Thinking about
    getting some of those squarish gold frame rayban cop glasses next. So, so
    butch.

    LOL