• Thread starter Wafflycathcsdir
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tony Yates <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > I use an MP3 player which obviously doesn't jump at all.
> >
>
> I use an Apple iPod which is a solid state MP3 player with a 20Gb micro
hard
> drive store. Keeps about 400 CDs worth on the hard drive and loads them into solid state memory as
> required. Doesn't jump and gives you the ultimate choice in portable music

Or you can get a Rio Riot that doesn't have the compatibility issues with other operating systems,
and has a bigger disk, and has more options, and costs about the same.

Both are over 3 times the cost of a bog standard Sony MD player, and if I come off, that's what I'm
concerned about.

E

Eddie Dubourg <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Or you can get a Rio Riot that doesn't have the compatibility issues with other operating systems,
> and has a bigger disk, and has more options, and costs about the same.
>

What compatibility issues? iPods run either Mac or PC. AFAIK the disk size is the same at 20GB but
the Riot is three time bigger than the iPod and in a plastic, not metal, housing. The tuner option
is nice on the Riot but OTOH you cannot use it as a hard drive.

Tony
--
http://www.raven-family.com

"I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
their job."

Samuel Goldwyn

"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:b2b2fk$19tm4a$1@ID-
>
> What compatibility issues? iPods run either Mac or PC. AFAIK the disk
size
> is the same at 20GB but the Riot is three time bigger than the iPod and in
a
> plastic, not metal, housing. The tuner option is nice on the Riot but
OTOH
> you cannot use it as a hard drive.

Um, trying to sychronise under Linux (most important, because that's what work is) and Windows is a
chore - half the time it fails, the other half of the time it says it has succeeded and hasn't. We
don't have these problems with the Riot. New software has been promised, but not arrived yet.

The Riot we have has a 30Gb drive, and is quite definitely metal.

Bigger, I'll grant you. But not much heavier. But a lot more useful

E

Eddie Dubourg <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Um, trying to sychronise under Linux (most important, because that's what work is)

Try http://www.tex9.com/software/xpod/ or a Google search on iPod Linux throws up other
alternatives. Never have a problem with Windows though although I use Ephpod instead of the supplied
software and a LAME encoder which gives much better sound than the Apple supplied one

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
their job."

Samuel Goldwyn

Eddie Dubourg wrote:
> "russell pinder" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:3e480aa5$1_1@mk-nntp-
>>> Ob cycling - has anyone used a MD player on bike, and if so,
does
>>> it jump.
>>
>> Yes and no - mine has a 20 sec anti jump feature which does
just fine
>
> I might have to get one - I use a CD walkman that plays CD-RWs
of
> MP3s - even with the theoretical anti jump features - well,
they
> don't really stand /me/ jumping on the bike, so I'm looking for
an
> alternative.
>
>> Que lots of 'don't cycle while listening to music' posts
>
> In traffic, I'd agree to a certain extent, but in the middle of
the
> Pentlands, I really don't see a problem.
>
> E

When I get out in the middle of the Pentlands I like to listen to the silence. It's one of the main
reasons I go out there. A great place to relax and only a 10 minute ride from my house:)
--
Mark

"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:b2b96b$19u5ih$1@ID-

> Try http://www.tex9.com/software/xpod/ or a Google search on iPod Linux throws up other
> alternatives. Never have a problem with Windows though although I use Ephpod instead of the
> supplied software and a LAME encoder which gives much better sound than the Apple supplied one

I'll definitely give it a whirl - unfortunately my boss is very much "If it doesn't work at first,
we'll find something else" - it's something we've had to adopt because a lot of our users are not
particularly technically literate (and that's being diplomatic - I have to explain the operation of
cassette players to most of them). It's a shame 'cos the iPod looks and sounds great - something
Apple have always been good at is style.

All the best,

E

Status
Not open for further replies.