Road Shoe help w/ Crank Bros Candy pedal???

CycleTexas

Jul 24, 2007
I'm pretty excited b/c I just purchased my first pair of clipless pedals for my road bike. After much forum browsing and deal searching I landed on Crank Bros Candy's. Aside from that, I am looking at purchasing a road shoe for these pedals. STRICTLY ROAD. I know mtn shoes have a recessed sole, but I am really not worried or interested in walking in my biking shoes. I am completely uneducated on what road shoe to look for and all I can say is I need a reliable, stiff shoe to fit a 2-bolt pattern for my cleats. If anyone else uses these pedals w/ a road shoe or knows someone who does, what shoe would you suggest?

CycleTexas said:
I need a reliable, stiff shoe to fit a 2-bolt pattern for my cleats. If anyone else uses these pedals w/ a road shoe or knows someone who does, what shoe would you suggest?
I struggled to find a high quality set of road shoes that weren't 3 bolt specific. I use regular egg beaters on my road bikes. I gave up and bought 3 bolt shoes (Carnac Heliums) then just fitted the Crank Brothers 3 hole plate adapters to fit the normal Crank Brothers cleats to them. I find they work flawlessly.

Your other option that I'm aware of are Sidi Genius 5's which support 2 bolt patterns.

--brett

+1 on the quattro cleats. I have quattro's on my road bikes and candies on my cross and utility bikes, I've found the cleats to be totally interchangable. I use my mt. bike shoes with my road bikes and occasionally vice/versa.

Candy pedals will not come with a 3 hole cleat or an adapter, so if you get Candies you'll have to buy the Quattro cleats separately. On the other hand if you just go with Quattros in the first place you won't have anything to worry about - they come with a 3 hole cleat. Quattros are very similar to Candies, but they have a slightly larger platform, weigh a little less and I think they may be a bit more expensive (though having to purchase the cleats separate may eat up any savings...).