Road shoes for Speedplay pedals?

bikecoach

Sep 7, 2006
Hey does anyone know of any current road shoes that have a 4 bolt pattern sole for speedplay cleats? All i can find so far is a Lake CX400. I want to see if i can get rid of the baseplate to bring my foot closer to spindle.
Speedlpays without base plates bring your foot about 1cm closer to spindle than look keos.
confused.gif

bikecoach said:
Hey does anyone know of any current road shoes that have a 4 bolt pattern sole for speedplay cleats? All i can find so far is a Lake CX400. I want to see if i can get rid of the baseplate to bring my foot closer to spindle.
Speedlpays without base plates bring your foot about 1cm closer to spindle than look keos.
confused.gif

Non that I have seen but have to ask why is reducing that 'stack by the teeny amount of the base plate is your goal. I haven't seen shoes with a 4 bolt pattern since old, old Time shoes.

bikecoach said:
confused.gif
I have just that setup and love it. I wear orthotics and the CX400's work perfectly. If you go with the Lakes be sure that you get all the correct stuff - bolts, base plate, etc. I found out the hard way that there are certain peculiarities for the CX400 with Speedplays.

Good luck,
Dave

Adidas used to have a model or two that used the Speedplay 4 bolt pattern. I don't know if that's still the case or not.

bikecoach said:
confused.gif

Lake is the only one AFAIK. That teeny baseplate is pretty minor to be able to have a shoe that fits your foot the best. And remember 1cm is pretty small as well. Most people have that much discrepancy in leg length anyway.

bikecoach said:
confused.gif
FWIW. If you get a pair of NON-carbon soled SHIMANO shoes, you can drill the sole to use SELF-TAPPING wood screws.

You may be able to drill other soles, too; but, I know that Shimano's sole is really thick compared to a SIDI sole (for example), so that may defeat the purpose of trying to mount your cleats closer to your actual foot!

BTW. I presume you mean 1mm (one millimeter) and not 1cm (one centimeter). As Peter has noted, you probably won't find the one millimeter difference to be significant.

Off topic, I was at a water stop for a ride last week and I stepped in gum and then dirt with my speedplay cleats. Yuck, what a mess and what a pain to try and engage. I had to take the cleat apart to clean it. I usually carry the cleat covers in my pocket but opted to leave them home to make room for extra food (that i really didn't need). Never again.