Road shoes

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Gregory Piccolo, Jan 13, 2020 at 6:41 AM.

1. Gregory Piccolo

Gregory Piccolo New Member

I am new to road cycling and purchased a Trek Domane AL2 with Look pedals and Bontrager Circuit Inform shoes. My right foot completely cramps up on the right side after about 7 miles. I tried adjusting my cleats to the most rear possible location. I tried cleats wedges and insole wedges. I only had minor improvement. It only effects my right foot. Trek rates this as a stiffness of 7. I am wondering if a stiffer shoe would be better?
    Please let me know your thoughts.

Tags:

2. BrianNystrom

BrianNystrom Member

Where are you getting cramps? Is it actual muscle cramps or just a burning sensation? Do your shoes fit properly (snug, but with room for your toes to move)? Are they perhaps too narrow? How would you describe your foot shape (narrow, average, wide; high or low arch; high or low volume, etc.)?

All of these things are important in diagnosing foot issues.

Gregory Piccolo likes this.
  3. Gregory Piccolo

Gregory Piccolo New Member

The shoes do fit snug, but I can wiggle my toes. I have an average foot with an average arch. My foot was probably average narrow for years but has widened with age now that I am in my 50's. They are average width now but are low mass. The pain is both cramping and burning. I can temporarily relieve and relax the cramp by concentrating and pushing down on the ball of my foot by the big toe temporarily. I can no way ride like that, it was more of an experiment. I went to the podiatrist to get orthopedics, I followed the gradual use instructions but even so my feet couldn't get used to them.

4. BrianNystrom

BrianNystrom Member

I've had good luck by just adding some padding under the metatarsal arch (transverse arch). I've also found that shoe width is critical. I've had issues over the years with burning-type pain at the first joint of my small toes, typically later in rides. Wider shoes made a huge difference. I've recently switched shoe brands and I'm now using Lake shoes. They make several different lasts with varying shapes (forefoot width vs. heel width). Their website has a page that explains how to trace your feet and use measurements from the tracings to get a perfect fit. They provide exact dimensions for all of their sizes and last shapes and I found that it worked perfectly. I'm now using their CX241 and MX241 shoes and they're amazingly comfortable for a race-stiffness shoe. They make several less expensive models on the same last, so you have plenty of choices.

Gregory Piccolo likes this.
  5. Diana George

Diana George New Member

If I were you, I would have chosen the most colorful shoes. As I am about to join Holi celebrations.