Road Shorts Vs Mt Bike Shorts.

Uawadall

Jun 14, 2015
I've been cycling for 3 months now and incrementally bought essential tools and gear. The only thing that I haven't worn yet are the lycra road shorts. I have a few pairs of Mt. bike shorts that I accidentally bought a year ago(thought they were non padded running shorts). The areas I cycle are typically 1000 feet elevation gain per 10 miles and my typical average pace is 16-17 mph(I can keep it up for 25-35 miles). My question is will lycra road shorts make me faster or will the speed gain be only marginal?

With MTB shorts I think of baggy shorts, often with removeable padding.
Using those on road will have a marginal aero effect. Fractions of a mph in average. 1-2 mph to the top.

I simply can't wear lycra as I think it just looks terrible and hate how it feels. I always wear a pair of shorts or bermuda shorts made out of cotton fabric whenever I'm cycling. They are comfortable and I don't think they've ever had a negative effect on my performance. Although I do cycle for recreational and practical reasons for the most part. I've also worn denim bermuda shorts but I don't recommend these unless one only needs to ride for very short distances.

I feel that any shorts would suit me to be honest, I would not be able to see the difference between them in the level I am at.

I'm going to be completely honest, I don't wear the biker shorts at all. I don't wear any of that gear because it is really just uncomfortable to me. When I am riding, I'm trying to get some work in. I don't wanna be uncomfortable whenever I'm trying to better myself.

I'm married and because of that I'm modest so I don't wear road bike shorts because of the bulge look and I don't want the stares, so I wear mtb shorts when not commuting. On long distance rides I will wear a road bike short with a mtb short (the pad removed) over the road bike short. But there is a difference between MTB and road shorts, mtb shorts will not have the degree of padding a road short will have, that doesn't bother me but for others it might. If your single you may want the road bike short so you can get the stares and possibly a date!

I'll wear whatever can give me a little more speed and helps me cycle a few extra miles.

Bob

My favorite is my old cycling shorts. I still have my very first cycling shorts although it's already worn and wouldn't fit me anymore, hahahaaa. Although I sometimes ride with ordinary house shorts, but my usual attire is the cycling shorts and the vest (the top with long sleeves and cushion in the breast part). One thing that bothers me sometimes is that I forget to wear the helmet when I am biking inside the village. But biking outside, the helmet is a must.

The issue here is what kind of chamois do you wear AND do you wear an overshort or not. If you're modest, wear an overshort. If I am going to be getting off my bike at a coffee shop or cafe, I will probably wear an overshort. Otherwise, if I'm just getting a training ride in, I just wear my chamois shorts (road bike shorts).

I'm also married.

I'm not modest. I'm a roadie. I've been a roadie for 45 years in wool and in Lycra.

Let the babes stare at my package and skinny white ass and sexy shaved legs. Doesn't bother me a bit as long as I can stare at their big ol' titties and tight little asses.

Fair's fair.

As far as speed and comfort go, road shorts are going to be an advantage. A tight jersey vs. a loose fitting jersey that flaps in the wind is equal to a good aero helmet or 50 MM set of wheels so why penalize yourself with shorts that flap in the wind?

If you are averaging 16-17 MPH with 1000' feet of vertical for every 10 miles, you owe it to yourself to ride in a good pair of road shorts and a fitted jersey. The faster you go, the more the aero advantage helps. You might not notice much on those climbing rides, but stretch it out on the flats at 20-25 MPH for awhile and the speed equation will be evident.

Reactions: BobCochran
LET THEM STARE I SAY! Problem with today's world gay guys stare at cyclists because they're wearing lycra and I don't need that kind of attention either.

CAMPYBOB said:
As far as speed and comfort go, road shorts are going to be an advantage. A tight jersey vs. a loose fitting jersey that flaps in the wind is equal to a good aero helmet or 50 MM set of wheels so why penalize yourself with shorts that flap in the wind?

If you are averaging 16-17 MPH with 1000' feet of vertical for every 10 miles, you owe it to yourself to ride in a good pair of road shorts and a fitted jersey. The faster you go, the more the aero advantage helps. You might not notice much on those climbing rides, but stretch it out on the flats at 20-25 MPH for awhile and the speed equation will be evident.
I wear fitted jerseys when I ride,its amazing how easily the wick off sweat. I did my first 50 miler 2 weeks ago and at around mile 35, I noticed how much the shorts were flapping. I could definitely tell they were taking away some of my efficiency, just don't know how much. The problem I usually have with stuff like shorts is fit. I'm 6'4" and 165-170 pounds. I have a feeling that a large will be too big and a medium won't have much length.Guess i'll have to find a brand that has an ideal fit for me.

Yeah, finding bib shorts that fit a 6' 4" body might be tough, but not impossible. Don't be afraid to ask the taller riders in your area what is working for them...brand-wise...size-wise. It's no guarantee their choices will work perfectly for you, but their experience and advice are a good starting point to go shopping with.

I'm 6' 1" / 160 Lbs. and it's a rare pair of bibs that have straps long enough to keep me from trying out for the Vienna Boys' Choir.

As far as inseam and leg length goes, you'll be fine. Most catalogs, websites and manufacturers' information lists the inseam length. Go with a mid-line to high-line model and at 11" inseam for a starting point you should be fine. If you have skinny legs a good gripper at the end of the leg is a big plus to keep the leg from riding up your thigh.

Chamois/pad material, thickness, position and fitting is a very personal thing. Some guys like minimal padding and some like a thicker chamois. Again, there is rarely any logic or body type that goes with a given short type, chamois style or even just the look and fit of the short. I like a thin to medium thickness chamois and prefer a longer inseam length. As far as grippers go, I can use a silicon band or a woven rubber style band, but my skinny legs prefer a 2" Lycra band with a wide silicon inner band. Dealer's choice, entirely yours to experiment with.

Some shorts I need a Medium to get a good fit and some brands I go with a large. You should check out the local shops and try on a few pairs to see what works.

I do wear lycra shorts. When I first started, I wore baggier shorts over them. Then I went on a bike tour with 700 other cyclists, and I realized that I wasn't the worst looking person wearing lycra. I never wore baggy shorts over them again! When you're doing lots of miles, the extra fabric can be annoying. It's nice to have shorts that move with you.

It might be a mental thing, but I feel faster when I'm wearing bike shorts. It might just be the "uniform," or maybe it really is that I'm more aero. Your mind is a powerful tool, so it might be worth a try just to see how you do. Know what I mean? And you're right about needing to find "your brand." It's worth asking around to see if anyone else shares your body type and has a favorite pair of shorts.

I personally prefer lycra shorts over MTB shorts even though MTB shorts have lots of useful pockets. Those pockets does give MTB shorts an advantage but comfort when riding is the most important thing for me. Lycra shorts are more comfortable and doesn't get in the way when riding. I am not the thinnest guy and some of my belly fats become obvious when wearing lycra shorts, but I don't care as long as I feel comfortable riding my bike.

In my opinion, lycra handles sweat better.
I used to do short commutes in shorts, and 2 or 3 times, when hammering off the saddle, the shorts leg got stuck on the end of saddle and I nearly crashed. I'm not kidding :D

Uawadall said:
. My question is will lycra road shorts make me faster or will the speed gain be only marginal?
No, not at the speeds you're currently riding, at least not on the climbs and on the flats. You may notice a little more speed on the descents if you choose road shorts. Especially with some head wind.