Road Signs on Alpe D'Huez

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by perfb, Jul 21, 2004.

  1. perfb

    perfb Guest

    watching the Alpe D'Huez TT on OLN, I caught a few
    of the painted signs some 'fans' had put on the road,
    before the camera scene was cutaway by the OLN editors,

    If I recall, they were:

    'Rip their balls off, Lance' (my fave, towards the end)

    'Fuck Lance'

    'EPO Lance'

    were there any others I missed?

    makes one wonder about what kind of a 'fan' would go to
    such lengths to paint out 'f*k lance' and why he couldnt be
    stopped before completing the sign.

    Tags:

  2. "perfb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > watching the Alpe D'Huez TT on OLN, I caught a few
    > of the painted signs some 'fans' had put on the road,
    > before the camera scene was cutaway by the OLN editors,
    >
    > If I recall, they were:
    >
    > 'Rip their balls off, Lance' (my fave, towards the end)
    >
    > 'Fuck Lance'
    >
    > 'EPO Lance'
    >
    > were there any others I missed?
    >
    > makes one wonder about what kind of a 'fan' would go to
    > such lengths to paint out 'f*k lance' and why he couldnt be
    > stopped before completing the sign.

    Um, this is normal in other arenas of sport. If he can't handle it he
    doesn't deserve to be out riding. So what? Maybe not everyone in the world
    is a Lance lover. Makes me wonder if you live in the real world or just
    your own small one.

  3. RJG

    RJG Guest

    "Richard Hertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]

    > "perfb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:775799ec.0407211338.5a5e[email protected]
    > > watching the Alpe D'Huez TT on OLN, I caught a few
    > > of the painted signs some 'fans' had put on the road,
    > > before the camera scene was cutaway by the OLN editors,
    > >
    > > If I recall, they were:
    > >
    > > 'Rip their balls off, Lance' (my fave, towards the end)
    > >
    > > 'Fuck Lance'
    > >
    > > 'EPO Lance'
    > >
    > > were there any others I missed?
    > >
    > > makes one wonder about what kind of a 'fan' would go to
    > > such lengths to paint out 'f*k lance' and why he couldnt be
    > > stopped before completing the sign.

    > Um, this is normal in other arenas of sport. If he can't handle it he
    > doesn't deserve to be out riding. So what? Maybe not everyone in the

    world
    > is a Lance lover. Makes me wonder if you live in the real world or just
    > your own small one.

    I could not find the article again, but Google News had one this afternoon
    in quoted Lance at great length about how he used any negative shouts,
    painted epithets, etc, as just added motivation--obviously from his
    performance, it didn't bother him at all.

    As far as that being "normal in other arenas of sport",here is a *real
    world* idea: try going to Wrigley Field and painting "Fuck Sosa" on the
    outfield grass--see how far you get. (Or even carrying a sign).

    My favorite quote is from Christian VandeVelde, in Velonews.com: "I do have
    one question, though. I just want to know who is painting the big penises on
    the climbs, and why? Anyway, I get a little chuckle every time I roll over
    one."

  4. Gingerale392

    Gingerale392 Guest

    << As far as that being "normal in other arenas of sport",here is a *real
    world* idea: try going to Wrigley Field and painting "Fuck Sosa" on the
    outfield grass--see how far you get. (Or even carrying a sign). >><BR><BR>

    Oh, c'mon--I remember the crowd chanting at out fielder Jesse Barfield
    (Toronto) at Yankee Stadium, "Barfield takes it up the ass! Barfield takes it
    up the ass! Barfield. . ."
    LA probably thought "Fuck Lance? No, fuck you!"

  5. "RJG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s53...

    > "Richard Hertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:eek:[email protected]
    > >
    > > "perfb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > watching the Alpe D'Huez TT on OLN, I caught a few
    > > > of the painted signs some 'fans' had put on the road,
    > > > before the camera scene was cutaway by the OLN editors,
    > > >
    > > > If I recall, they were:
    > > >
    > > > 'Rip their balls off, Lance' (my fave, towards the end)
    > > >
    > > > 'Fuck Lance'
    > > >
    > > > 'EPO Lance'
    > > >
    > > > were there any others I missed?
    > > >
    > > > makes one wonder about what kind of a 'fan' would go to
    > > > such lengths to paint out 'f*k lance' and why he couldnt be
    > > > stopped before completing the sign.

    > > Um, this is normal in other arenas of sport. If he can't handle it he
    > > doesn't deserve to be out riding. So what? Maybe not everyone in the

    > world
    > > is a Lance lover. Makes me wonder if you live in the real world or

    just
    > > your own small one.
    > >

    > I could not find the article again, but Google News had one this afternoon
    > in quoted Lance at great length about how he used any negative shouts,
    > painted epithets, etc, as just added motivation--obviously from his
    > performance, it didn't bother him at all.
    >
    > As far as that being "normal in other arenas of sport",here is a *real
    > world* idea: try going to Wrigley Field and painting "Fuck Sosa" on the
    > outfield grass--see how far you get. (Or even carrying a sign).

    Um, the Alps are not exactly "home" field for US postal...
    The original poster wondered why a "fan" would do such a thing. Fans do
    lots of things and clearly he/she was not a lance fan. Thank the lord for
    that - the lance bandwagon is way past old already.

    > My favorite quote is from Christian VandeVelde, in Velonews.com: "I do

    have
    > one question, though. I just want to know who is painting the big penises

    on
    > the climbs, and why? Anyway, I get a little chuckle every time I roll over
    > one."

  6. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On 21 Jul 2004 14:38:02 -0700, [email protected] (perfb) wrote:

    >watching the Alpe D'Huez TT on OLN, I caught a few
    >of the painted signs some 'fans' had put on the road,
    >before the camera scene was cutaway by the OLN editors,
    >
    >If I recall, they were:
    >
    > 'Rip their balls off, Lance' (my fave, towards the end)
    >
    > 'Fuck Lance'
    >
    > 'EPO Lance'
    >
    >were there any others I missed?

    The most original and clever: "Lance Sucks"

    >makes one wonder about what kind of a 'fan' would go to
    >such lengths to paint out 'f*k lance' and why he couldnt be
    >stopped before completing the sign.

    Because gnats aren't worth swatting.

    I gotta hand it to those guys to not let themselves be distracted or put off
    pace by that mob - especially the ones that didn't get a lead out motorcycle.
    That looked like hell out there.

    Ron

  7. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 23:31:48 GMT, "RJG" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Richard Hertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:eek:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "perfb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> > watching the Alpe D'Huez TT on OLN, I caught a few
    >> > of the painted signs some 'fans' had put on the road,
    >> > before the camera scene was cutaway by the OLN editors,
    >> >
    >> > If I recall, they were:
    >> >
    >> > 'Rip their balls off, Lance' (my fave, towards the end)
    >> >
    >> > 'Fuck Lance'
    >> >
    >> > 'EPO Lance'
    >> >
    >> > were there any others I missed?
    >> >
    >> > makes one wonder about what kind of a 'fan' would go to
    >> > such lengths to paint out 'f*k lance' and why he couldnt be
    >> > stopped before completing the sign.

    >> Um, this is normal in other arenas of sport. If he can't handle it he
    >> doesn't deserve to be out riding. So what? Maybe not everyone in the

    >world
    >> is a Lance lover. Makes me wonder if you live in the real world or just
    >> your own small one.
    >>

    >I could not find the article again, but Google News had one this afternoon
    >in quoted Lance at great length about how he used any negative shouts,
    >painted epithets, etc, as just added motivation--obviously from his
    >performance, it didn't bother him at all.
    >
    >As far as that being "normal in other arenas of sport",here is a *real
    >world* idea: try going to Wrigley Field and painting "Fuck Sosa" on the
    >outfield grass--see how far you get. (Or even carrying a sign).

    Yeah, but this was the equivalent of playing in Shea Stadium. Some years ago
    there was a banner behind an airplane over Busch Stadium "Mets are pond scum."

    >My favorite quote is from Christian VandeVelde, in Velonews.com: "I do have
    >one question, though. I just want to know who is painting the big penises on
    >the climbs, and why? Anyway, I get a little chuckle every time I roll over
    >one."

    Sometimes a sense of humor is the best answer.

    Ron

  8. RonSonic wrote:

    > On 21 Jul 2004 14:38:02 -0700, [email protected] (perfb) wrote:
    >

    >>watching the Alpe D'Huez TT on OLN, I caught a few
    >>of the painted signs some 'fans' had put on the road,
    >>before the camera scene was cutaway by the OLN editors,
    >>
    >>If I recall, they were:
    >>
    >> 'Rip their balls off, Lance' (my fave, towards the end)
    >>
    >> 'Fuck Lance'
    >>
    >> 'EPO Lance'
    >>
    >>were there any others I missed?

    > The most original and clever: "Lance Sucks"
    >

    >>makes one wonder about what kind of a 'fan' would go to
    >>such lengths to paint out 'f*k lance' and why he couldnt be
    >>stopped before completing the sign.

    > Because gnats aren't worth swatting.
    >
    > I gotta hand it to those guys to not let themselves be distracted or put off
    > pace by that mob - especially the ones that didn't get a lead out motorcycle.
    > That looked like hell out there.
    >
    > Ron

    best road art so far.. from radsport.
    http://radsportnews.net/2004/tdf16arm.shtml

  9. KenFberg

    KenFberg Guest

    In Message-id: <[email protected]>
    [email protected] (perfb) wrote:

    >makes one wonder about what kind of a 'fan' would go to
    >such lengths to paint out 'f*k lance' and why he couldnt be
    >stopped before completing the sign.

    Why stop them? What does "f*ck" mean in French?
    DR

  10. On 22 Jul 2004 00:21:33 GMT, [email protected] (Gingerale392)
    wrote:

    >Oh, c'mon--I remember the crowd chanting at out fielder Jesse Barfield
    >(Toronto) at Yankee Stadium, "Barfield takes it up the ass! Barfield takes it
    >up the ass! Barfield. . ."

    Funny thing is, it used to be a lot worse. Back when baseball was a
    sport, some players had to be escorted to and from the field. Then,
    again, they had whiskey bottles in the stands back then too.

    What I find sad (being a University of Maryland basketball season
    ticket holder) is watching fathers teaching their six/seven year-old
    kids to sing songs with "suck" as the primary focus. At least we
    haven't thrown a water bottle at anyone for a few years.

    And also, to be fair, the last incident involved a Duke fan, so no
    humans on either side were involved.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

    I don't believe in insults myself. OTOH, trivia is fascinating to me.
    Did you know that the Clemson orange comes from the color of traffic
    cones and the promise to the football team that anyone that graduates
    gets a job on a road gang holding up a shovel? No need to be able to
    read...