Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Road Spy

Started by cfsmtb · · Last activity · 90 posts · 2,889 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
12 May 2006
Last activity
18 May 2006
Original author
cfsmtb
Posts
90
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,889
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 61–80 of 90
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Stuart Lamble said:
    John Stevenson said:

    Part of the deal you do with the rest of us when you are issued a
    licence is that you will be aware of road conditions and rules such as
    speed limits. That you got pinged in that situation indicates you failed
    to hold up your end of the deal. So it goes.


    Quoted message said:

    That stretch of road feels more
    like an 80 kph speed limit road;

    Again, extend your boundary conditions.
    Traffic comes from somewhere and goes somewhere. Lots of sections in NSW
    are engineered to higher standards that other pieces, but restricting
    traffic to the speed of the lesser engineering actually ensures a
    smoother flow and greater movement of motor vehicles.

  2. Random Data said:
    Kathy said:

    Yeah ok. I can live with that. When the motorcycle can be shown to
    have been transported down from the Enterprise and have materialised in
    front of them at the last possible second thus they they couldnt have
    seen it. Fair enough

    There was a case (reported here?) where a police car in pursuit of a
    vehicle hit a person. Said person was lying in the middle of the road
    just after a crest, after being hit by the pursued vehicle. The officer
    was deemed to not be at fault.

    Yeah, for values of 'just over a crest' that sounds like it might be
    reasonable.

    Quoted message said:

    I can't remember full details, but the pursued vehicle was being driven by
    someone rather drunk. I can't remember if the driver was even aware they
    were being chased, but ISTR they weren't aware of much at all at the time.

    If the rule is 'if you say you didnt see someone then you are in strife
    if you cannot prove you have a reason' then fair enough. I have
    actually defended a version in this in court when I was booked for
    turning over faded double white lines in the middle of the night in
    pouring rain on a dark and deserted unlit country intersection in a
    tiny low british sports car with inadequate wipers and went to court
    with large blown up pics taken in the middle of a fine day from the
    drivers seat of the same car of the by then freshly repainted lines and
    wasy able to show that they just flat were not visible cos of the camber
    of the road. Won that one. So yeah seems reasonable, sometimes

    Dave

  3. In article <44655461$0$17544$61c65585@un-2park-reader-
    01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Travis said:
    Terry Collins said:

    Resound wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    >You didn't pause to think that he might have a point?

    I ride a bicycle. There is no other consideration. I'm not some ponsie
    car driver who makes out they're a bicycle rider for this list. Of
    course I am going to see things differently than the ponses.

    You're doing the same thing some car drivers do, being an inconsiderate
    jerk with no regard for other road users. You've pretty much said this
    in almost those exact words...

    No, what I'm saving is that you are the selfish jerk who can not see
    past the end of their wheeny doodle and lookat the big pctures. If you
    actually read your posts and put them into the overall road traffic
    situation, you would realise how silly they sound.

    Quoted message said:

    Yes you did, it was embarassing to see exactly the same argument used
    from the cyclist point of view "I ride a bicycle. There is no other
    consideration. "
    In car it is "I drive a car. There is no other consideration."

    Pull your head out of your [censored] and smell the roses.

    Oh yeah, I don't read aus.cars so don't make an ASS out of U and ME and
    assume that's where I am coming from.

  4. Humbug said:


    Why is that when people get behind the steering wheel of a car they
    immediately start confusing the meanings of the words "limit" and
    "target" ? It's a speed LIMIT and not a speed TARGET!!!


    Wow! I thought I was the only one in the world with this view:eek:😉 Ahhh cheers🙂

  5. John Stevenson said:

    Just in case you're taking me seriously, and not playing along, google
    for "modest proposal".

    Pretty much playing along. I agree that fewer cars on the roads would be
    a win for society (even if the individuals without the cars wouldn't see
    it that way), but the only way I can see of that happening is a massive
    surge in petrol prices.

    --
    My Usenet From: address now expires after two weeks. If you email me, and
    the mail bounces, try changing the bit before the "@ to usenet".

  6. Stuart Lamble said:
    John Stevenson said:

    Just in case you're taking me seriously, and not playing along, google
    for "modest proposal".

    Pretty much playing along. I agree that fewer cars on the roads would be
    a win for society (even if the individuals without the cars wouldn't see
    it that way), but the only way I can see of that happening is a massive
    surge in petrol prices.

    The European experience suggests that all that happens is that people
    drive smaller, lower-fuel-consumption cars. They still clog up the roads
    until someone charges them a specific fee to deter them from, say,
    clogging up Central London with journeys they could almost as easily
    conduct by bike or public transport.

  7. Ray said:


    Yes you did,

    lol, score is now four.

    Quoted message said:

    it was embarassing to see exactly the same argument used
    from the cyclist point of view "I ride a bicycle. There is no other
    consideration. "
    In car it is "I drive a car. There is no other consideration."

    Try again. People who live bicycles tend to develop a different
    perspective on being on the road. The same as some people in life have
    experiences that open their eyes to a wider view.

    You either ride a bicycle and have done the trip, or you haven't a clue.

    All you have to do is think about what Travis and co have posted and
    look at it from a bicycling viewpoint. It really is very simple.

    Of course, the thickos just can not get out of car weenie mode. Their
    true focus is as a cager.

  8. dave said:

    when I was booked for turning over faded double white lines in

    U turn?

  9. Terry Collins said:

    All you have to do is think about what Travis and co have posted and
    look at it from a bicycling viewpoint. It really is very simple.

    Hey Terry, you really need to come out from under the bridge.

    Speed differentials are dangerous *when unexpected*. Drivers get used to
    cars doing roughly the speed limit - behaviour other than that is
    unexpected, and therefore dangerous. Cyclists normally travel at between
    10 and 30km/h. Who here hasn't had a car pull out at 30 or more because
    they didn't think you were moving that fast?

    Danger on the road is a multi-faceted thing. I can do something stupid
    every day for a year and not have a problem. Then someone else does
    something vaguely stupid as well and we're both dead.

    People in general aren't fast enough to accurately gauge the speed of
    other vehicles. They assume speeds of of traffic +-5, which normally
    works. Then someone is faster and appears from behind as they change
    lanes, or slower and they run up the back. Good drivers constantly recheck
    what other cars are doing against their model, and leave room to recover
    from bad estimates. But most people develop sloppy habits because 99.9999%
    of the time the first estimate is OK. A mistake normally means a minor
    bingle - property damage, maybe some bruising, but everyone walks away.
    But if these same drivers then make bad judgements when they do get into
    trouble, big prangs happen and people get really hurt.

    People driving too slowly are part of the problem here. They won't always
    cause problems, but often enough that they're likely to be near one of the
    drivers who is slow to recognise they're slow, or that they've caused a
    blockage resulting in other traffic being slow. It's the combination
    that's dangerous. Particularly when the escape plan for some people is to
    swerve left, straight over the cyclist. I've seen that about to happen too
    many times and been with it to get out of the way.

    Slow bikes can cause problems like this, but we're generally easy to get
    around safely, and drivers are used to seeing bikes doing certain speeds.
    The flow on effects are fairly minimal. Someone pootling along a 1 lane
    road can hold up cars for a very long time, resulting in big flow on
    effects.

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email hidden]
    This calls for a very special blend of psychology....
    and extreme violence. - Vyvyan

  10. Terry Collins said:
    dave said:

    when I was booked for turning over faded double white lines in

    U turn?


    YEah. It was so dark I missed the right I wanted in spite of slowing to
    about walking pace and in spite of two of us in the car looking for it.
    So I pulled left as far as I dared and did a uey when I was sure
    noone was around. In fact we hadnt seen a car in the last half hour.
    JUst the very bored local copper wanting one more ticket for 2001. It
    was new years eve and nearly midnight.

  11. Random Data said:

    Hey Terry, you really need to come out from under the bridge.

    I've been out from under the bridge and onthe roads for over forty years.

    Quoted message said:


    Speed differentials are dangerous *when unexpected*.

    To paraphrase MP, "Nobody expects the unexpected"

    Quoted message said:


    People driving too slowly are part of the problem here.

    Slow bikes can cause problems like this, but we're generally easy to get
    around safely,

    Really. So it is one real for car drivers and one rule for bicyclists.
    Why?

    Quoted message said:

    The flow on effects are fairly minimal. Someone pootling along a 1 lane
    road can hold up cars for a very long time, resulting in big flow on
    effects.

    Actually, stop start traffic does that far worse. A slow driver is a
    moving blockage, but moving and the traffic is flowing.

    You want to know what holds up traffice worse, for up to half an hour
    after it happens; coming to a stop, causing drivers below you to slow
    down and then taking off.

    You are generally far better to follow a slow driver, than to race
    ahead, stop, start, race ahead, stop, start. New scinetist has an
    article on a study that was done on London ring roads. Very interesting.

    Quoted message said:
  12. dave said:
    Terry Collins said:
    dave said:

    when I was booked for turning over faded double white lines in

    U turn?

    YEah. It was so dark I missed the right I wanted in spite of slowing to
    about walking pace and in spite of two of us in the car looking for it.
    So I pulled left as far as I dared and did a uey when I was sure
    noone was around. In fact we hadnt seen a car in the last half hour.
    JUst the very bored local copper wanting one more ticket for 2001. It
    was new years eve and nearly midnight.

    Oh bugger. I'd hate that.

    Only reasons I asked is when I finally wnet for my licence, on of the
    questions I got wrong was that I said you could not turn right over
    double yellow lines; guy behind the counter just looked at me and said
    "Umm just how did you drive into the car park". you had to do a right
    over double yellow.

    When I have to do a Uey, I usually turn left somewhere and do it, then
    come back, or at least pull off, stop lights and then do it. Don't know
    if its legal either, but not been booked. klonk, klonk.

  13. Terry Collins said:
    dave said:
    Terry Collins said:

    dave wrote:

    >when I was booked for turning over faded double white lines in

    U turn?

    YEah. It was so dark I missed the right I wanted in spite of slowing to
    about walking pace and in spite of two of us in the car looking for it.
    So I pulled left as far as I dared and did a uey when I was sure
    noone was around. In fact we hadnt seen a car in the last half hour.
    JUst the very bored local copper wanting one more ticket for 2001. It
    was new years eve and nearly midnight.

    Oh bugger. I'd hate that.

    Only reasons I asked is when I finally wnet for my licence, on of the
    questions I got wrong was that I said you could not turn right over
    double yellow lines; guy behind the counter just looked at me and said
    "Umm just how did you drive into the car park". you had to do a right
    over double yellow.

    When I have to do a Uey, I usually turn left somewhere and do it, then
    come back, or at least pull off, stop lights and then do it. Don't know
    if its legal either, but not been booked. klonk, klonk.


    Well at least I beat the #$%% in court

  14. Terry Collins said:

    Try again. People who live bicycles tend to develop a different
    perspective on being on the road. The same as some people in life have
    experiences that open their eyes to a wider view.

    You either ride a bicycle and have done the trip, or you haven't a clue.

    All you have to do is think about what Travis and co have posted and
    look at it from a bicycling viewpoint. It really is very simple.

    Of course, the thickos just can not get out of car weenie mode. Their
    true focus is as a cager.

    I'm amused that you talk about opening your eyes to a "wider view" by
    experiences, and at the same time argue that once one has experienced
    cycling one should take a very narrow view, indeed an extremely narrow
    view, a view so narrow that the people who hold such a view describe
    themselves as being completely inconsiderate toward those who hold
    other views, based on the belief that your new narrow cyclo-centric
    view is so inherently morally superior to other views that this
    inconsiderate attitude is entirely justified.

    Travis

  15. Travis said:
    Terry Collins said:

    Try again. People who live bicycles tend to develop a different
    perspective on being on the road. The same as some people in life have
    experiences that open their eyes to a wider view.

    You either ride a bicycle and have done the trip, or you haven't a clue.

    All you have to do is think about what Travis and co have posted and
    look at it from a bicycling viewpoint. It really is very simple.

    Of course, the thickos just can not get out of car weenie mode. Their
    true focus is as a cager.

    I'm amused that you talk about opening your eyes to a "wider view" by
    experiences, and at the same time argue that once one has experienced
    cycling one should take a very narrow view, indeed an extremely narrow
    view, a view so narrow that the people who hold such a view describe
    themselves as being completely inconsiderate toward those who hold
    other views, based on the belief that your new narrow cyclo-centric
    view is so inherently morally superior to other views that this
    inconsiderate attitude is entirely justified.

    Travis


    Reminds me of something my dad used to say "It is reasonable
    doubtful to suggest that you have a sufficiently developed
    vocabulary to enable you to participate in conversations where
    word of more than one syllable are frequently used'

  16. Random Data said:
    Kathy said:

    Yeah ok. I can live with that. When the motorcycle can be shown to
    have been transported down from the Enterprise and have materialised in
    front of them at the last possible second thus they they couldnt have
    seen it. Fair enough

    There was a case (reported here?) where a police car in pursuit of a
    vehicle hit a person. Said person was lying in the middle of the road
    just after a crest, after being hit by the pursued vehicle. The officer
    was deemed to not be at fault.

    I can't remember full details, but the pursued vehicle was being driven by
    someone rather drunk. I can't remember if the driver was even aware they
    were being chased, but ISTR they weren't aware of much at all at the time.

    There is a question of "cops don't get booked", but I'm fairly sure there
    was nothing to say the cop had done anything wrong. There was no
    reasonable way to have foreseen that there would be a person lying down on
    the road.


    I do recall an incident in WA where a tow truck driver (at 4am),
    swerved to miss a drunk man laying in the road and struck his
    drunk mate standing on the side of the road. Fault was laid at
    the foot of the tow truck driver, and drunk mate received a sum
    of money to encourage his stupid behaviour.

  17. --
    Frank
    [email hidden]
    Drop DACKS to reply
    "Terry Collins" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]
    ....

    SNIPPP...

    Quoted message said:

    It isn't? I fail to see what is wrong with hitting people in the pocket
    for exceeding the recommended safe driving speeds. Fines should be
    quadrupled and people should loose their license for a year.

    Agree entirely - but "safe driving speeds" is not necessarily equivalent to
    the speed limit. Sometimes the safe driving speed exceeds the posted limit
    simply because the traffic is moving at a certain speed. Sometimes the safe
    driving speed is well below the posted limt because of adverse conditions,
    slower traffic flow, etc.

    An example: If a street with a posted limit of 60kph was entirely and
    heavily used by cyclists travelling at, say, 25kph, then a lone cyclist
    doing 40kph, weaving in and out of the traffic and acting unpredictably will
    be a hazard.

    Where I think these arguments go astry is that traffic should be regarded as
    'mob behaviour', not necessarily as the sum of individual intentions.
    Individual intentions are often overridden by the mob behaviour. Hence
    traffic often flows more smoothly (smooth equals safer - not an absolute
    'safe'😉 at speeds above the posted limits. Freeways are a good example of
    that.

    A point was made some weeks ago about driving/riding/whatever according to
    the conditions as they are rather than as they should be. That's a far safer
    behaviour than constantly occupying the moral high ground. To paraphrase
    Slartibartfast, "I'd rather be safe than right anyday..."

    Cheers,

    Frank

  18. On 2006-05-13, Brendo (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:

    Reminds me of something my dad used to say "It is reasonable
    doubtful to suggest that you have a sufficiently developed
    vocabulary to enable you to participate in conversations where
    word of more than one syllable are frequently used'

    The prolonged application of polysyllabic vocabulary infallibly
    exercises a deleterious influence on the fecundity of expression,
    rendering the ultimate tendancy apocryphal.

    --
    TimC
    "This strongly suggests to me that perl is way out of hand,
    or that I need another drink, or both." -- Alan J Rosenthal

  19. Terry Collins said:

    Really. So it is one real for car drivers and one rule for bicyclists.
    Why?

    If you'd bothered to read my post, because drivers expect certain
    behaviours of cyclists. Like 10-30km/h speeds under normal conditions. The
    overriding rule for both is "try to be predictable".

    Quoted message said:

    You are generally far better to follow a slow driver, than to race
    ahead, stop, start, race ahead, stop, start. New scinetist has an
    article on a study that was done on London ring roads. Very interesting.

    You are best following the traffic speed. Fast/slow doesn't work, but a
    smooth acceleration and deceleration does. Someone who is behaving
    differently to everyone else causes a ripple where you may no longer be
    able to change speed smoothly.

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email hidden]
    "Hey, watch the 'fro" - Danny Glaze

  20. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I do. I don't give a flying proverbial about the where is or why
    not of informing drivers about speed cameras or police operations.

    The site's *entirely* for drunk-drivers to avoid the cops-- the
    'speedcamera alerts' is just a smokescreen to avoid a repeat of the
    media and political controversy from when the company started the
    'service' about a year ago.

    --
    Chris

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.