Road Stem 25.4mm

Kenny

Guest
I was wondering if I could use the Ritchey WCS road stem which has a
handlebar clamp diameter of 25.4 with my 3ttt road bars that has a 25.8
diameter. I need to change my stem because I negligently bought a stem
that has a 26mm clamp and even though I shimmed it to work with the
3ttt bars it still has the occasional click-click sound and it's
driving me nuts.

Kenny wrote:

> I was wondering if I could use the Ritchey WCS road stem which has a
> handlebar clamp diameter of 25.4 with my 3ttt road bars that has a 25.8
> diameter. I need to change my stem because I negligently bought a stem
> that has a 26mm clamp and even though I shimmed it to work with the
> 3ttt bars it still has the occasional click-click sound and it's
> driving me nuts.

Officially, no.

Unofficially, yes, it will work provided the stem is of the removable
front clamp type. In fact, a 25.4mm stem with a removable clamp will
usually work with a 26.0mm bar depending on manufacturing tolerances.
No manufacturer will warranty such use, obviously.

The 25.8 was actually intended to try and achieve compatibility with
both sizes. I really hate that 0.6mm difference between "MTB" and "road".

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> Officially, no.
>
> Unofficially, yes, it will work provided the stem is of the removable
> front clamp type. In fact, a 25.4mm stem with a removable clamp will
> usually work with a 26.0mm bar depending on manufacturing tolerances.
> No manufacturer will warranty such use, obviously.
>
> The 25.8 was actually intended to try and achieve compatibility with
> both sizes. I really hate that 0.6mm difference between "MTB" and "road".

Thanks Zog.

Kenny wrote:
> I was wondering if I could use the Ritchey WCS road stem which has a
> handlebar clamp diameter of 25.4 with my 3ttt road bars that has a 25.8
> diameter. I need to change my stem because I negligently bought a stem
> that has a 26mm clamp and even though I shimmed it to work with the
> 3ttt bars it still has the occasional click-click sound and it's
> driving me nuts.

25.4 stem is a MTB stem..no Ritchey 25.4 road stems. NO need to shim
for 26mm to 25.8. If the TT hbar is clicking, it may be cracked, not
uncommon at all with these hbars.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Kenny wrote:
> > I was wondering if I could use the Ritchey WCS road stem which has a
> > handlebar clamp diameter of 25.4 with my 3ttt road bars that has a 25.8
> > diameter. I need to change my stem because I negligently bought a stem
> > that has a 26mm clamp and even though I shimmed it to work with the
> > 3ttt bars it still has the occasional click-click sound and it's
> > driving me nuts.

> 25.4 stem is a MTB stem..no Ritchey 25.4 road stems. NO need to shim
> for 26mm to 25.8. If the TT hbar is clicking, it may be cracked, not
> uncommon at all with these hbars.

You're right it is marketed as a MTB stem, but who cares if it fits. As
far as not needing to shim from 26mm to 25.8mm, I don't know about
that. I tried it without shimming and the clicking was more frequent
and the clamp would loosen after a couple of rides. After shimming the
clicking was less frequent and the clamp never loosened. Finally I gave
up on the 26mm one and put my old 3ttt Mutant stem back on (25.8mm). No
more clicking.

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Kenny wrote:
> > I was wondering if I could use the Ritchey WCS road stem which has a
> > handlebar clamp diameter of 25.4 with my 3ttt road bars that has a 25.8
> > diameter. I need to change my stem because I negligently bought a stem
> > that has a 26mm clamp and even though I shimmed it to work with the
> > 3ttt bars it still has the occasional click-click sound and it's
> > driving me nuts.

> 25.4 stem is a MTB stem..no Ritchey 25.4 road stems. NO need to shim
> for 26mm to 25.8. If the TT hbar is clicking, it may be cracked, not
> uncommon at all with these hbars.

Which handle bars? I run 26 mm TTT Merckx bend bars. Am
I in danger of them failing in normal use?

--
Michael Press

Michael Press wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Kenny wrote:
> > > I was wondering if I could use the Ritchey WCS road stem which has a
> > > handlebar clamp diameter of 25.4 with my 3ttt road bars that has a 25.8
> > > diameter. I need to change my stem because I negligently bought a stem
> > > that has a 26mm clamp and even though I shimmed it to work with the
> > > 3ttt bars it still has the occasional click-click sound and it's
> > > driving me nuts.

> > 25.4 stem is a MTB stem..no Ritchey 25.4 road stems. NO need to shim
> > for 26mm to 25.8. If the TT hbar is clicking, it may be cracked, not
> > uncommon at all with these hbars.

> Which handle bars? I run 26 mm TTT Merckx bend bars. Am
> I in danger of them failing in normal use?

I have seen a few TTT Hbars, Mostly Prima, light ones, develop cracks
under the stem clamp and get noisey-no failures, just creaking, like
this gent.

As for 25.8/26mm differences, I have never shimmed for these
differences and have never had noise because I didn't.

> --
> Michael Press

On 21 Oct 2006 05:50:50 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I have seen a few TTT Hbars, Mostly Prima, light ones, develop cracks
>under the stem clamp and get noisey-no failures, just creaking, like
>this gent.

I had this experience.
--
JT