road STI at night?

Doug Purdy

Guest
I recently broke my downtube shifter bikes and bought new bikes, one of which has road STI brifters
with the brake cable under the handlebar tape. I just tried to mount my old front lights and found
the brake cable prevent their use.

What do other people use? I prefer LED based lieghts as batteries can power them for all
night rides.

Doug Toronto

> I recently broke my downtube shifter bikes and bought new bikes, one of which has road STI
> brifters with the brake cable under the handlebar tape.
> just tried to mount my old front lights and found the brake cable prevent their use.
>
> What do other people use? I prefer LED based lieghts as batteries can
power
> them for all night rides.
>
> Doug Toronto

Doug: Do you have Campy Ergopower? I can see where that might cause some difficulty (because you're
dealing with both a brake & gear cable under the tape). If you've got Shimano STI, it's usually not
that big a deal, you just cut back the housing a bit and mount the light bracket, making sure the
cable housing goes over, not under, the bracket.

You can get some foam tape that will compress enough to allow mounting without over tightening the
light mount. There are differing thickness tapes and hardness. Apply tape on the inside of mount
then trim to suit, Foam side in contact with bars. It will allow the mount to be fastened with
ample security.

AJS

news:p[email protected]...

Doug Purdy wrote:
> I recently broke my downtube shifter bikes and bought new bikes, one of which has road STI
> brifters with the brake cable under the handlebar tape. I just tried to mount my old front lights
> and found the brake cable prevent their use.
>
> What do other people use? I prefer LED based lieghts as batteries can power them for all
> night rides.

I just leave a couple of inches next to the stem untaped and slip the light mount under the cables.

Pat
--
Apologies to those easily confused. Address is spam-resistant. Correct email address like pdlamb
'round-about comcast point net.

"Doug Purdy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> I recently broke my downtube shifter bikes and bought new bikes, one of which has road STI
> brifters with the brake cable under the handlebar tape.
> just tried to mount my old front lights and found the brake cable prevent their use.
>
> What do other people use? I prefer LED based lieghts as batteries can
power
> them for all night rides.

I use a minoura handlebar extension thing that clips under the brake cable.

I also found high-power lights on the bars gave too much reflection from the (white) shifter cables.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>I recently broke my downtube shifter bikes and bought new bikes, one of which has road STI brifters
>with the brake cable under the handlebar tape. I just tried to mount my old front lights and found
>the brake cable prevent their use.
>
>What do other people use? I prefer LED based lieghts as batteries can power them for all
>night rides.

Mount the light right by the stem. You can fit the clamp under the brake cable. That's how I mount
my computer and HRM.