road STI at night?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Doug Purdy, May 25, 2003.

  1. Doug Purdy

    Doug Purdy Guest

    I recently broke my downtube shifter bikes and bought new bikes, one of which has road STI brifters
    with the brake cable under the handlebar tape. I just tried to mount my old front lights and found
    the brake cable prevent their use.

    What do other people use? I prefer LED based lieghts as batteries can power them for all
    night rides.

    Doug Toronto

    Tags:

  2. > I recently broke my downtube shifter bikes and bought new bikes, one of which has road STI
    > brifters with the brake cable under the handlebar tape.
    > just tried to mount my old front lights and found the brake cable prevent their use.
    >
    > What do other people use? I prefer LED based lieghts as batteries can
    power
    > them for all night rides.
    >
    > Doug Toronto

    Doug: Do you have Campy Ergopower? I can see where that might cause some difficulty (because you're
    dealing with both a brake & gear cable under the tape). If you've got Shimano STI, it's usually not
    that big a deal, you just cut back the housing a bit and mount the light bracket, making sure the
    cable housing goes over, not under, the bracket.

  3. A-J-S

    A-J-S Guest

    You can get some foam tape that will compress enough to allow mounting without over tightening the
    light mount. There are differing thickness tapes and hardness. Apply tape on the inside of mount
    then trim to suit, Foam side in contact with bars. It will allow the mount to be fastened with
    ample security.

    AJS

    "Doug Purdy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > I recently broke my downtube shifter bikes and bought new bikes, one of which has road STI
    > brifters with the brake cable under the handlebar tape.
    > just tried to mount my old front lights and found the brake cable prevent their use.
    >
    > What do other people use? I prefer LED based lieghts as batteries can
    power
    > them for all night rides.
    >
    > Doug Toronto

  4. Patrick Lamb

    Patrick Lamb Guest

    Doug Purdy wrote:
    > I recently broke my downtube shifter bikes and bought new bikes, one of which has road STI
    > brifters with the brake cable under the handlebar tape. I just tried to mount my old front lights
    > and found the brake cable prevent their use.
    >
    > What do other people use? I prefer LED based lieghts as batteries can power them for all
    > night rides.

    I just leave a couple of inches next to the stem untaped and slip the light mount under the cables.

    Pat
    --
    Apologies to those easily confused. Address is spam-resistant. Correct email address like pdlamb
    'round-about comcast point net.

  5. "Doug Purdy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > I recently broke my downtube shifter bikes and bought new bikes, one of which has road STI
    > brifters with the brake cable under the handlebar tape.
    > just tried to mount my old front lights and found the brake cable prevent their use.
    >
    > What do other people use? I prefer LED based lieghts as batteries can
    power
    > them for all night rides.

    I use a minoura handlebar extension thing that clips under the brake cable.

    I also found high-power lights on the bars gave too much reflection from the (white) shifter cables.

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    >I recently broke my downtube shifter bikes and bought new bikes, one of which has road STI brifters
    >with the brake cable under the handlebar tape. I just tried to mount my old front lights and found
    >the brake cable prevent their use.
    >
    >What do other people use? I prefer LED based lieghts as batteries can power them for all
    >night rides.

    Mount the light right by the stem. You can fit the clamp under the brake cable. That's how I mount
    my computer and HRM.