Road tire for dirt roads?

Oruboris

May 10, 2006
Time for new tires.

In a couple of months, I'll be moving to a house about 2 miles past the end of the paved roads. I hope to ride my usual 100 miles a week, and would rather ride right from home, assuming these roads don't beat me or the bike up too badly.

I've been riding on slick, silicone type tires [clinchers] for years, currently Michelain Ironmans. I'm concerned that they won't last under these conditions.

These tires are 127 TPI: would a 250-300 TPI tire be more robust?

I like 'em fine on the pavement, but if I hit a little loose sand or gravel [inevitable on the dirt roads], they can slide right out from under me. Makes me ride very tense and rigid, amplifying the problem.

Would a tire with a little tread to it be an improvement in this regard?

How much more comfortable would a lower pressure tire be? I keep these close to their 110 pound max, would a lower pressure be more comfortable on the rough? How much efficiency do you give up on a tire inflated to [say] 85 psi? I only race against myself, but I do enjoy speed.

I stumbled accross a site for user reveiws of bike gear at some point. Anyone have a favorite?

ToffoIsMe said:
Cyclocross tires may be a viable option, depending on brake clearance.

Even a 30mm cross tire most likely won't fit. You could get a tire with some tread, but most likely it would be enough to grip much better than a racing slick.

You might look into a tire with a file tread, or minimal tread pattern like the Conti GP4000. 110 psi sounds a high for gravel or rough roads. On gravel and offroad, lower tire preasure equates to better grip and lower rolling resistance. Of course on a smooth road the opposite is true. Schwalbe has a paper on ther site about this: http://www.bicicletta.co.za/Downloadable%20docs/Rolling%20Resistance%20Eng%20illustrated.pdf
You really need to experiment with tire pressure to find what is optimal for your roads, comfort, tire choice, and weight.
Riding skill plays a large factor. I've been on a training ride with an experienced cyclocrosser on a Michelin Pro2 slick who managed to do fairly well on a technical single-track trail. I've also watched beginner riders on cyclocross tires go down on easy dirt roads. You need to learn how to distribute your weight, relax, and let the bike float under you.

Well, I just ordered the Conti-4000 4season, so I'm glad to see a vote for that line.

I had a bad spill a year ago when turning from a paved road to a gravel parking lot, and I think it psyched me out. Plus, I've never developed the requisite skills of skinny tires on loose stuff because I've mostly ridden mtn bikes in my adult life, and for the last couple years have had Hutchinson tubeless tires on the Mtn Bike, which are so low pressure and grippy that it's a whole different skill set.

I've suspected the tire pressure should be lower for quite a while, so when [if] the snow ever melts and the gravel dries out, I'll give that a try.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

I live on horrible country roads and then I have a 1/4 mile long gravel driveway to contend with. Nothing like riding on marbles to keep you focused! I ride with my Michelin Krylions at about 115 psi. I imagine lower pressure would be more stable on rough roads, but when I get to the pavement I want the lower resistance that the higher pressure gives. Plus, pinch flats seem more likely with lower pressure. I guess if I carried a hand pump instead of a CO2 type I could enjoy both worlds. The Krylions have held up well and I can't recommend them enough as a training/rough terrain tire. Good luck and stay focused on that gravel!

Scott

capwater said:
Even a 30mm cross tire most likely won't fit. You could get a tire with some tread, but most likely it would be enough to grip much better than a racing slick.
I ride a front which has minimal tread and measures a true 32mm wide, which I run at 75 psi.

I still find that the bike goes in the direction of the rear wheel when I hit a patch of sand or gravel and is far less sure-footed than, say, a cruiser on gravel paths.

There's just no way around having to handle it more gingerly when off pavement.